• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Not sure that the bouncy castles and street celebrations have quite crossed the threshold of the definition of "riot" yet, or even are an unlawful assembly, as much as the pro Trudeau camp tries to stretch it. I mean, we've seen what "mostly peaceful protests" consist of, like burning buildings and destroying statues, and violently attacking the police. Since none of that has happened yet...

Not sure that the bouncy castles and street celebrations have quite crossed the threshold of the definition of "riot" yet, or even are an unlawful assembly, as much as the pro Trudeau camp tries to stretch it. I mean, we've seen what "mostly peaceful protests" consist of, like burning buildings and destroying statues, and violently attacking the police. Since none of that has happened yet...
Nobody said this was a riot. Unlawful activity does not necessarily mean criminal activity. It can certainly escalate to that depending on what is being done and if it keeps being done.

Might want to read the part about 3 or more assembling to disturb the peace tumultuously

Anyways, it has been fun as always, but I'm off to play some hell let loose.

I just hope that the CPC and its supporters continue to try to align themselves with this convoy, as evidenced here.

I'm sure it will go down real well.

Might want to read the part about 3 or more assembling to disturb the peace tumultuously
Which again comes back to the use of the word -
To an extent. I’ve pointed out two of the more publicly known events in Ottawa where the protests were declared unlawful. The BLM one in 2020 where everyone was arrested on day 3. And the Occupy Ottawa movement after 30 days.

I can’t speak to all of Canada as each jurisdiction makes the call at their level. However in Ottawa unlawful assembly is usually dealt with.
So it seems in Ottawa tumultuous falls between 2-29 days ;)

New rules going after blockade financing an overreach, critics say

TORONTO — The federal government's move to use expanded financial powers to crack down on the trucker protests is being called a severe overreach by financial crime experts, while details remain scarce on how some of the directives will be implemented.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland announced Monday that crowdfunding platforms will now fall under anti-money laundering reporting requirements and financial institutions are being asked to freeze account services to both individual and business clients who they suspect are aiding the blockades.

Yes; the lesson is that it brings out the vengeful ethically vacuous idiots among media, and the tyrannical totalitarians among readers/viewers. Pretty much everyone by now reasonably knows the consequences of doxxing (ignorance can no longer be claimed as an excuse). It's rarely punishment proportionate to "crime". All information is theoretically "news", but information ordinarily considered confidential should remain confidential unless it serves a public interest. Knowing who donated a couple of hundred bucks to an amorphous protest movement is not a public interest - maybe as far as the people charged with investigating crime, and that's it. If you don't reasonably need to know it, you shouldn't go looking. Otherwise, you are, charitably, a nosy busybody and an asshole. To publish it is obviously to be much more discreditable than that. In current political climates perhaps publication of donor lists should itself be a crime. It would be a sacrifice to political transparency, but the safety and security and liberty of persons evidently is at stake.

"Respect the dignity of all persons."

Maybe a new case study for ethics seminars: "I know something discreditable or potentially embarrassing, and ordinarily confidential or at least not ordinarily given widespread dissemination, about someone. May I promulgate it in order to diminish and punish her for her views?"
Edit to add:
Unlawful activity does not necessarily mean criminal activity. It can certainly escalate to that depending on what is being done and if it keeps being done.
Very true, and some other other activity can mean criminal activity…
[/edit]

If ‘security’ includes one’s job/livelihood, then it would seem that doxxers may have contravened Section 264 of the Criminal Code of Canada. 🤔

Criminal harassment
  • 264 (1) No person shall, without lawful authority and knowing that another person is harassed or recklessly as to whether the other person is harassed, engage in conduct referred to in subsection (2) that causes that other person reasonably, in all the circumstances, to fear for their safety or the safety of anyone known to them.
  • Prohibited conduct
    (2) The conduct mentioned in subsection (1) consists of
    • (a) repeatedly following from place to place the other person or anyone known to them;
    • (b) repeatedly communicating with, either directly or indirectly, the other person or anyone known to them;
    • (c) besetting or watching the dwelling-house, or place where the other person, or anyone known to them, resides, works, carries on business or happens to be; or
    • (d) engaging in threatening conduct directed at the other person or any member of their family.
  • Punishment
    • (3) Every person who contravenes this section is guilty of
      (a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
  • Factors to be considered
    • (4) Where a person is convicted of an offence under this section, the court imposing the sentence on the person shall consider as an aggravating factor that, at the time the offence was committed, the person contravened
      • (a) the terms or conditions of an order made pursuant to section 161 or a recognizance entered into pursuant to section 810, 810.1 or 810.2; or
      • (b) the terms or conditions of any other order or recognizance, or of an undertaking, made or entered into under the common law, this Act or any other Act of Parliament or of a provincial legislature that is similar in effect to an order or recognizance referred to in paragraph (a).
  • Reasons
    • (5) Where the court is satisfied of the existence of an aggravating factor referred to in subsection (4), but decides not to give effect to it for sentencing purposes, the court shall give reasons for its decision.
  • R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 264, R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 37, 1993, c. 45, s. 2, 1997, c. 16, s. 4, c. 17, s. 9, 2002, c. 13, s. 10, 2019, c. 25, s. 91

The whole nature of political divisions and desires and what merits toleration and what does not comes back to something I think George Carlin said (paraphrasing): All my sh!t is stuff, and everyone else's stuff is sh!t.

The doxxer or doxxers totally broke the law. By all accounts it seems like it was broken in the US.
People physically at Stella Luna decrying and. Giuliani’s donation were not in the US.

People physically at Stella Luna decrying and. Giuliani’s donation were not in the US.
Was her donation sent to an American funding platform? Or does Give send Go have a Canadian platform?

She might have recourse to sue GSG for the data breach though.

People yelling at her store? How is that breaking the law? Threats? Yes. Saying they won’t go there for gelato not so much.

When you’re yelling that you’re going to throw bricks through the windows. I heard second hand (same as the news, I suppose) that there were numerous individuals physically outside the store issuing verbal threats.

In my books, that isn’t a trans-border civil issue, that becomes an issue of harassment and threat of physical harm under CCCs.264 that should be investigated by Canadian authorities, lest a precedent be set that allows asymmetrical criminal vigilantism.

... Maybe a new case study for ethics seminars: "I know something discreditable or potentially embarrassing, and ordinarily confidential or at least not ordinarily given widespread dissemination, about someone. May I promulgate it in order to diminish and punish her for her views?" ...
That could be a good case study. Coming back to my earlier example, let's divide the seminar (I'm going down a military road, given the military crowd in these parts, but it could apply to any job) into 2 groups, with each doing slightly different tasks then comparing notes....
... "I know something discreditable or potentially embarrassing, and ordinarily confidential or at least not ordinarily given widespread dissemination - donating to the truckers' convoy protest - about someone in your chain of command. How much would you like to know?" ...
... "I know something discreditable or potentially embarrassing, and ordinarily confidential or at least not ordinarily given widespread dissemination - donating to an Antifa/BLM protest - about someone in your chain of command. How much would you like to know?" ...

When you’re yelling that you’re going to throw bricks through the windows. I heard second hand (same as the news, I suppose) that there were numerous individuals physically outside the store issuing verbal threats.

In my books, that isn’t a trans-border civil issue, that becomes an issue of harassment and threat of physical harm under CCCs.264 that should be investigated by Canadian authorities, lest a precedent be set that allows asymmetrical criminal vigilantism.
Sure. I didn’t disagree with that. You had two things in your initial statement, the doxing and the people yelling at Stella gelato.

I used to half jokingly say that Costa Rica or Panama are looking better all the time. I no longer think I'm joking.
Costa Rica is quite nice. My uncle runs a B&B there. He moved there after the last referendum because he wasn’t a fan of Canada or federalism.

Stable gvt, good health care. Good weather.

I can't get behind the notion of this effort having an impact on the Canadian Economy, especially the Canadian Economy that has been dealing with pandemic decrees for the last two years.

Sure the Ambassador Bridge blockade got the attention of the car manufacturers, but they are having bigger problems getting computer chips from China. Crikey! It is getting to the point where my 10 year old Jeep is worth more now than when I bought it. But I digress.

As far as I can see the only economy that is being discomfited is that of Parliament Hill and its local support systems. And the fact that Canadians are sending money, and food, and gas and bouncy castles into the area is causing no end of consternation to the denizens who feel that they deserve the fealty of the peasantry.

I can't get behind the notion of this effort having an impact on the Canadian Economy, especially the Canadian Economy that has been dealing with pandemic decrees for the last two years.

Sure the Ambassador Bridge blockade got the attention of the car manufacturers, but they are having bigger problems getting computer chips from China. Crikey! It is getting to the point where my 10 year old Jeep is worth more now than when I bought it. But I digress.

As far as I can see the only economy that is being discomfited is that of Parliament Hill and its local support systems. And the fact that Canadians are sending money, and food, and gas and bouncy castles into the area is causing no end of consternation to the denizens who feel that they deserve the fealty of the peasantry.
If wasn’t having an effect on the economy the US wouldn’t be putting pressure on our gvt to do something. Doug Ford called a state of emergency because the auto industry was being effectively shut down.

That being said, I am pretty sure that economic issues are not a reason to invoke the EA.

Back