• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Not sure it gets any clearer than that. It didn’t say Isabeau-Ringuette is no longer an employee of MPP Sylvia Jones’ riding office, she was the Solicitor General’s Director of Communications.

From the Public Service of Ontario Act

Employment in a minister’s office
47 An individual designated by the Premier in relation to a minister’s office for the purposes of this section or, if no such individual is designated, the minister may appoint persons to employment by the Crown to work in the minister’s office for a fixed term. 2006, c. 35, Sched. A, s. 47.

Dismissal without cause
50 (1) An individual designated by the Premier in relation to a minister’s office for the purposes of section 47 or, if no such individual is designated, the minister may without cause dismiss a public servant appointed under section 47 by giving the public servant reasonable notice or by giving the public servant compensation in lieu of notice. 2006, c. 35, Sched. A, s. 50 (1).

This is who works (or worked, the lady in question is still listed at time of this post) in the Solicitor General's office (or at leaast the non-peons). I assume that all (or most) are appointed under s.47.

Honest question BTW.

Would it have made more sense for the truckers in Ottawa to have declared victory and left about 3 days ago?

Almost every province has either removed restrictions and the vax pass or has given a date for when they are going to do so. I argue that even if they had sat down with politicians they wouldn't have gotten a better deal than that.

They could have taken credit for the lifting of restrictions and gone home heroes in their own heads at least.

This all or nothing approach is a strategic error on their part.

Honest question BTW.

Would it have made more sense for the truckers in Ottawa to have declared victory and left about 3 days ago?
Yup
Almost every province has either removed restrictions and the vax pass or has given a date for when they are going to do so. I argue that even if they had sat down with politicians they wouldn't have gotten a better deal than that.

They could have taken credit for the lifting of restrictions and gone home heroes in their own heads at least.

This all or nothing approach is a strategic error on their part.
The problem when you bring forth the mob, is that one cannot control it.
Plus I suspect some ego's and agendas are opposed to just simply going away quietly.

If you have to ask what's the worry I suspect you've never seen the CAF unfairly single someone out to make an example out of them to everyone else.
I have seen it, I’ve also seen it applied fairly as well.

Yup

The problem when you bring forth the mob, is that one cannot control it.
The main organizers declare victory and drive out of town, others get the hint. Also shrinks the crowd that remains.
Plus I suspect some ego's and agendas are opposed to just simply going away quietly.
Yeah, it really undercuts their ability to

A) Show anything positive from their movement

B) Say they were willing to negotiate.

Because since it started, I would say most provinces, and even the feds responded by lifting and planning to lift some restrictions.

From the Public Service of Ontario Act

Employment in a minister’s office
47 An individual designated by the Premier in relation to a minister’s office for the purposes of this section or, if no such individual is designated, the minister may appoint persons to employment by the Crown to work in the minister’s office for a fixed term. 2006, c. 35, Sched. A, s. 47.

Dismissal without cause
50 (1) An individual designated by the Premier in relation to a minister’s office for the purposes of section 47 or, if no such individual is designated, the minister may without cause dismiss a public servant appointed under section 47 by giving the public servant reasonable notice or by giving the public servant compensation in lieu of notice. 2006, c. 35, Sched. A, s. 50 (1).

This is who works (or worked, the lady in question is still listed at time of this post) in the Solicitor General's office (or at leaast the non-peons). I assume that all (or most) are appointed under s.47.

So I’m not seeing where I was incorrect to consider the SolGen’s Dir. of Communications a public servant? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Treasury board guidelines. Anyone working for the government signed something in regards to usage of IT and emails. There is annex about acceptable use.
Not sure what point you’re trying to make? I thought it was pretty clear they shouldn’t have, but nothing apparent to anyone who saw the list being done - the GOs’ careers carried in (and up) for several years to follow. That influenced my trust in the system to appropriately deal with situations, particularly involving senior ranks in the CAF.

If you have to ask what's the worry I suspect you've never seen the CAF unfairly single someone out to make an example out of them. Let's see how it plays out.
Heretic! Heretic! That has never happened, and even when it did it was completely justified. Sounds like you may need a little "investigating" yourself, mister.

The main organizers declare victory and drive out of town, others get the hint. Also shrinks the crowd that remains.

Yeah, it really undercuts their ability to

A) Show anything positive from their movement

B) Say they were willing to negotiate.

Because since it started, I would say most provinces, and even the feds responded by lifting and planning to lift some restrictions.
The federal government has not yet negotiated with them.

The federal government has not yet negotiated with them.
No, they have not.

But what did they want? (lets ignore the overthrowing the government nonsense that should have been an idea that died at inception)

Less restrictions.

What has been happening? The lifting and plans to lift restrictions. Is it due to them causing a fuss? Maybe, maybe not. But to take credit for it and drive home would have been the wiser policy as opposed to stick it out until removed by force.

Who? Lich? Pat king? Protest Santa?

They seem disjointed as an org.

Mind you it’s not clear who the protesters should be negotiating with. The city the province or the feds.

If they haven't talked to them, how do they know who they are or what they want ?

If they haven't talked to them, how do they know who they are or what they want ?
They did release a memorandum of understanding, but beyond that they did state publicly that they wanted restrictions lifted.

Which, regardless of every level of government not negotiating with them, has been happening.

No, they have not.

But what did they want? (lets ignore the overthrowing the government nonsense that should have been an idea that died at inception)

Less restrictions.

What has been happening? The lifting and plans to lift restrictions. Is it due to them causing a fuss? Maybe, maybe not. But to take credit for it and drive home would have been the wiser policy as opposed to stick it out until removed by force.
What was the original reason for going?
To protest the vaccination requirements for truckers. Has this been lifted? Has any headway or timeline been given on lifting these restrictions?
No, in fact the liberal government voted down a motion to make a plan to lift these measures.

They are all in. Same as our Dear Leader. Any sign of weakness on either side is admitting defeat at this point.

Sure. Just wanted to make sure you knew what a political staffer was. They can be fired without cause.
Quite aware of what a ‘staffer’ is, but it’s also an informal term, of course as you know, since the word ‘staffer’ doesn’t actually appear in the Ontario Public Service Act in the relevant section regarding being a….public servant…working in the Minister’s Office…

What was the original reason for going?
To protest the vaccination requirements for truckers. Has this been lifted? Has any headway or timeline been given on lifting these restrictions?
No, in fact the liberal government voted down a motion to make a plan to lift these measures.

They are all in. Same as our Dear Leader. Any sign of weakness on either side is admitting defeat at this point.
Which is why I said if they framed the provinces lifting restrictions as a victory would have been better than the COA they have chosen.

"Strategy" expected from amorphous protest: very little.

"Strategy" expected from GoC: very much.

First met expectations. Second did not. If the GoC is going to play the game against people that don't fit in as if the country is a newsroom or faculty lounge, tempers are going to get a lot shorter at some point.

Back