• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

When I get a traffic violation the cops give me that not the bank.
Okay, I’ll play your deliberately obtuse game then.

No. You are being charged with a contravention of a traffic violation, and being given a choice to accept the charge with its associated fine.

You could, if you wish, dispute the charge and attend court to make your case to the justice. If you were successful, the charge would be dropped and you would also not have to pay the fine.

Are you able to present an example where a police officer can freeze your bank account, for example?

Okay, I’ll play your deliberately obtuse game then.

No. You are being charged with a contravention of a traffic violation, and being given a choice to accept the charge with its associated fine.

You could, if you wish, dispute the charge and attend court to make your case to the justice. If you were successful, the charge would be dropped and you would also not have to pay the fine.

Are you able to present an example where a police officer can freeze your bank account, for example?

I’m not being obtuse. Calm yourself.

Did he say he was freezing accounts? The OPS chief? You are making assumptions that that is what he meant. If a truck was parked illegally for three weeks and left and they found the owner they could send him a ticket or identify someone who illegally lit a fire. It’s still the lawful authority issuing it to you not the bank. Any protester is free to fight the tickets they would receive. A fine is still a sanction. And it just happens to be a financial one.

C8608872-B77C-4CC5-8484-FE8AF983827E.jpeg

Did you listen to the OW mayor wanting to sell off all the impounded vehicles and deposit the money in the city's account? Or perhaps the lady in BC who donated 50 when it was legal to do so and now finds that her account has been frozen? Should those accounts go to OW as well?

Some people are having trouble hiding their glee for this unprecedented government overreach and abuse.

Canadians have consistently voted for Trudeau and generally share his ideology, at least in significant enough numbers get him elected. Canadians don't vote for Trudeau, Canadians are trudeau. He isn't some weirdo that got elected, he’s the net total of what a Canadian is.

Did you listen to the OW mayor wanting to sell off all the impounded vehicles and deposit the money in the city's account? Or perhaps the lady in BC who donated 50 when it was legal to do so and now finds that her account has been frozen? Should those accounts go to OW as well?
The mayor is just spouting off to look good. If you look at the facts you’ll see that he has no idea how that would work since the owners were given instructions on how to retrieve their vehicles. The poor lady with no last name and not verified by anything other than Twitter? I’m not going to lose my mind over that.

As I mentioned, the class action suit if won will likely seize assets from named protesters. And vehicles that cannot be reclaimed will certainly end up at auction.

My point that has been missed is that the OPS acting chief used the word “sanction” and may not actually mean what some people thinks it does or the narrative they are creating for themselves in this case.

Ottawa's mayor is looking to distract from his multitude of failings.

And the Chilliwack woman (per Chuck Strahl) and Sarnia woman (per Marilyn Gladu) with frozen accounts are not yet proven to be related to this action; individuals in precarious financial situations may experience banking interruptions due to overdrafts or other issues - correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

It wasn't an individual's bank account, but the freezing of the funds raised in the GiveSendGo campaign pre-dated the financial measures imposed by the Emergencies Act and were the result of action by local and provincial police, the Provincial Asset Forfeiture Unit (PAFU).

Online fundraising for Ottawa protesters ‘facilitating’ crime, Ottawa police argue in court​

A U.S.-based crowdfunding campaign for protesters who have laid siege to parts of Ottawa is “facilitating” crime, police wrote in a court affidavit used to freeze the funds.

The Ottawa Police Service said the roughly US$9 million raised on GiveSendGo was intended to sustain the protests, and was therefore “facilitating the indictable offence of mischief.”

Signed by a member of the Ontario asset forfeiture unit, the affidavit said the money was “critical to sustaining the protest” and thus constituted “property intended to be used for committing indictable offences.”

The Superior Court of Justice agreed and froze the money raised on the Christian crowdfunding site as crime-related property.

. . .

It's not much of a stretch to envision that the OPS (thru the PAFU) or Crown may take the steps required under whatever existing legislation to seek seizure and forfeiture of assets from those involved in criminal activity related to the Ottawa protest convoy. Just because the EA has imposed additional financial measures doesn't mean that municipal and provincial (and federal) authorities can't use the tools they already had.

My wife see the implementation of the Emergency Act and the freezing of funds as reminder of what she lived under in Malaysia, she came here to get away from that stuff, but JT and the Liberals are reminding her far to much of UMNO and how far they were willing to go to hang onto power.

And in other "freezing the funds" news (from a couple of days ago). Ms. Li seems to be a determined young woman, maybe she should have been the Chief of Police.

Fed up Ottawa residents win secret suit to freeze the crypto wallets funding Canada’s ‘Freedom Convoy’ protesters​

Yesterday, a group of Ottawa residents won a private class action lawsuit to freeze at least 146 cryptocurrency wallets and bank assets tied to the main organizers of Canada’s “Freedom Convoy” in a bid to stanch funding for the ongoing demonstrations.

Known as a Mareva injunction, the lawsuit was filed by Ottawa residents Zexi Li, Geoffrey Devaney, and the Happy Goat Coffee business against key convoy organizers including Chris Barber, Benjamin Dichter, Tamara Lich, and Nicholas St. Louis. The hearing was held in private without public notice or access, lawyer Paul Champ who represents the residents bringing the suit, told The Star, a Toronto-headquartered Canadian newspaper. Li earlier this month won an injunction which barred protesters from honking their horns in downtown Ottawa.

The suit is unprecedented for the country, as it’s the “first time in Canada that a Mareva injunction [has] ever been used to freeze cryptocurrency,” says Matthew Burgoyne, a crypto- and blockchain-focused partner at Calgary-based McLeod Law. He added that the injunction was a powerful legal “remedy which can have significant consequences for a defendant.” The defendants weren’t given advance notice of the suit, says Champ.

Champ, who hired a private investigator and cryptocurrency expert, found that the organizers’ crypto movements outpaced the government’s attempts to track them, according to The Star.

Under the injunction, the named defendants, and those affiliated with them, are restricted from moving fiat and cryptocurrency assets in the bank accounts and cryptocurrency wallets specifically named in the suit. The respondents must now respond to the court and “submit to an examination under oath” regarding their assets and what the assets have been used for. The Mareva injunction is only used when there’s a “high risk” that the defendant will “dispose, encumber or…remove its assets from the jurisdiction during the course of litigation,” says Burgoyne. It effectively freezes their assets until judgment is passed.

. . .

A lot of people were sold a bill of goods.

“King told protesters the warnings from police weren’t official because they didn’t have signatures on them or that the city didn’t have a police chief so no one could give the order,” said Kurt Phillips of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network. “And he was telling this to people who don’t really understand how government works.”

The Battle of Wellington Street took place in a highly charged political environment where each side has made exaggerated claims not backed up by facts. Getting to the truth can be hard, but it is important, so let’s look at some of these claims.

Glad to see our National Police Force continuing their trend of acting with the utmost professionalism and class. 🤣

Out of curiosity I sought out the group chat tweets. Riveting stuff!

I really want to seek out the RCMP Musical Ride (the sub-unit these individuals belong to) next time we need some community engagement.

Last edited:
Back