• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Oh my god you guys. Fines are referred to as “financial sanctions” all the time. Long before this nonsense. A sanction literally means “a punishment”
Yup. I did some more reading, I was wrong about the terminology for financial sanctions. Usually implies severe fines.

Last edited:
Yup. I did some more reading, I was wrong about the terminology for financial sanctions. Usually implies severe fines.
My message was exasperation. It’s just a general hands in the air at what we ve all become. I’ve really got to stay off the internet

I’m not being obtuse. Calm yourself.

Did he say he was freezing accounts? The OPS chief? You are making assumptions that that is what he meant. If a truck was parked illegally for three weeks and left and they found the owner they could send him a ticket or identify someone who illegally lit a fire. It’s still the lawful authority issuing it to you not the bank. Any protester is free to fight the tickets they would receive. A fine is still a sanction. And it just happens to be a financial one.

View attachment 68870
Oh, sonOttawa Police could have imposed “financial sanctions” aka fines, all along then? Like, before the EA…got it.

It's not much of a stretch to envision that the OPS (thru the PAFU) or Crown may take the steps required under whatever existing legislation to seek seizure and forfeiture of assets from those involved in criminal activity related to the Ottawa protest convoy. Just because the EA has imposed additional financial measures doesn't mean that municipal and provincial (and federal) authorities can't use the tools they already had.
Interesting to see all these financial sanction acts coming out of the woodwork now, noting that Canada isn’t so draconian after all, since the means was there before…we’ll, and pesky court orders.
Oh my god you guys. Fines are referred to as “financial sanctions” all the time. Long before this nonsense. A sanction literally means “a punishment”
Interesting. A good friend in the OPP who spent several years as a Court Service Officer in a Lower Provincial Court said he had never in his time heard of an OHTA fine referred to as ‘a financial sanction.’

So it would seem that I and others like minded individuals are being obtuse when we refer to financial sanctions as a higher level, sweeping mandate that seeks to make wide-reaching and extreme fiscally punitive measures (freezing accounts or confiscating assets) and that there were other quite reasonable and extant means to do so.

#boilingfrog

For my part in that….above….

Yes. And still can. Glad you got it.

No, you and like minded people latched on to one word that OPS acting chief said and forgot what active listening is and then made a whole bunch of strings on a map taped to wall about how this means the EA will be stretched on for months.

No, you and like minded people latched on to one word that OPS acting chief said and forgot what active listening is and then made a whole bunch of strings on a map taped to wall about how this means the EA will be stretched on for months.

Bill Blair said the federal government will continue to implement never-before-used powers under the Emergencies Act as long as they are required to help end the illegal blockade of the national capital.

The final protestors are being rounded up, so the EA should be shut down in a few weeks, right?

But in an interview with The West Block’s Mercedes Stephenson, Blair gave no timeline or criteria on when those measures could be lifted, saying that a “threat still exists.“

Pretty ambiguous wouldn't you say? So long as "a threat is out there" we need the emergency act in place.

Glad to see our National Police Force continuing their trend of acting with the utmost professionalism and class. 🤣

Out of curiosity I sought out the group chat tweets. Riveting stuff!

I really want to seek out the RCMP Musical Ride (the sub-unit these individuals belong to) next time we need some community engagement.

What kind of statements were the RCMP officers making?

Bill Blair said the federal government will continue to implement never-before-used powers under the Emergencies Act as long as they are required to help end the illegal blockade of the national capital.

The final protestors are being rounded up, so the EA should be shut down in a few weeks, right?

But in an interview with The West Block’s Mercedes Stephenson, Blair gave no timeline or criteria on when those measures could be lifted, saying that a “threat still exists.“

Pretty ambiguous wouldn't you say? So long as "a threat is out there" we need the emergency act in place.
I don’t know if the EA is going to be extended or not. It should never have been enacted in the first place But I’m not going to base that on a word that a local acting police chief used. That is the point I was trying to get across.

Oh, sonOttawa Police could have imposed “financial sanctions” aka fines, all along then? Like, before the EA…got it.

Interesting to see all these financial sanction acts coming out of the woodwork now, noting that Canada isn’t so draconian after all, since the means was there before…we’ll, and pesky court orders.

Interesting. A good friend in the OPP who spent several years as a Court Service Officer in a Lower Provincial Court said he had never in his time heard of an OHTA fine referred to as ‘a financial sanction.’

So it would seem that I and others like minded individuals are being obtuse when we refer to financial sanctions as a higher level, sweeping mandate that seeks to make wide-reaching and extreme fiscally punitive measures (freezing accounts or confiscating assets) and that there were other quite reasonable and extant means to do so.

#boilingfrog
It’s entirely possible that the chief meant the financial portions of the governments response. He could also just be using an entirely normal part of court terminology; or it could be both. Or neither.

Your court friend has a terrible memory on this- in passing conversation perhaps. It’s a totally normal thing to hear fines included in court sanctions and have a judge or Justice refer to a financial sanction. It’s also normal in civil and family court.

It’s not outlandish to associate any mention of finances right now to the EA since the big actions are freezing accounts. And to be honest I’ve never seen anything like it so I don’t know what the hell any one means when they mention something.

I think the thing is the concepts and things we are seeing are larger macro things that don’t need people being laser focussed on individual words from an OPS chief- he more than likely is also learning the EA as he goes.

Police executives are not nimble legal experts. They are generalists and in most cities, in my experience with police leadership and executives, they are political Animals to their vocabulary rather than tacticians or lawyers. I would expect a place like Ottawa to be even more so. 🤷‍♀️

It is my opinion, that the EA wasn’t necessary and was an odd escalation. I have a personal belief that this was an attempt to look like the federal government was doing something- because they are, in my opinion, obsessed with appearing like they are acting. I think they don’t understand the Pandora’s box that such things open- and they aren’t thinking a year Down the road when the next protest happens- both sides will see the effective strategies from this and it may change the face of protest here in the future- and if it does will we use the EA on a seasonal basis?

What kind of statements were the RCMP officers making?
Justin Ling broke a story about this. I haven’t seen the entire thing but apparently someone was communicating police movements and such to convoy types. One operation had to be scrubbed when they found out. Again, grain of salt as this was in the Twitter verse. But Ling has been doing some decent reporting.

And in other "freezing the funds" news (from a couple of days ago). Ms. Li seems to be a determined young woman, maybe she should have been the Chief of Police.

In the “while I do not support the convoy protesters *stated goals and methods, I wonder how things like this seem legitimate?” department:

Yesterday, a group of Ottawa residents won a private class action lawsuit to freeze at least 146 cryptocurrency wallets and bank assets tied to the main organizers of Canada’s “Freedom Convoy” in a bid to stanch funding for the ongoing demonstrations.

Known as a Mareva injunction, the lawsuitwas filed by Ottawa residents Zexi Li, Geoffrey Devaney, and the Happy Goat Coffee business against key convoy organizers including Chris Barber, Benjamin Dichter, Tamara Lich, and Nicholas St. Louis. The hearing was held in private without public notice or access, lawyer Paul Champ who represents the residents bringing the suit, told The Star, a Toronto-headquartered Canadian newspaper. Li earlier this month won an injunction which barred protesters from honking their hornsin downtown Ottawa.

The suit is unprecedented for the country, as it’s the “first time in Canada that a Mareva injunction [has] ever been used to freeze cryptocurrency,” says Matthew Burgoyne, a crypto- and blockchain-focused partner at Calgary-based McLeod Law. He added that the injunction was a powerful legal “remedy which can have significant consequences for a defendant.” The defendants weren’t given advance notice of the suit, says Champ.
So private court case, defendants not advised prior to court hearing, no discovery, etc. and as written, seems to imply that the 24-hour period granted by the Courts for defendants to make case to the plaintiff(s) to secure reasonable funds for living expenses and legal representation was not provided. Interesting times.

Last edited:

Blair's banned assault-style firearms amnesty expires in 71 days. The prospect of tens of thousands of Canadian owning hundreds of thousands of dangerous banned firearms would constitute a continuing threat, n'est ce pas? Some may even be unvaccinated!

In the “while I do not support the convoy protesters stayed goals and methods, I wonder how things like this seem legitimate?” department:

So private court case, defendants not advised prior to court hearing, no discovery, etc. and as written, seems to imply that the 24-hour period granted by the Courts for defendants to make case to the plaintiff(s) to secure reasonable funds for living expenses and legal representation was not provided. Interesting times.
Closer to being the “proletariat “ than we realize. I certainly hope this is tossed out in open court

If the government wanted to shut down various forms of cryptocurrency enacting the EA would be a great way to get started. It would certainly explains the odd timing and use.

Oh man, it was awesome when Nardwuar the human serviette questioned Chrétien on pepper spray. Those were the days…
For me, pepper, I put it on my plate.

Blair's banned assault-style firearms amnesty expires in 71 days. The prospect of tens of thousands of Canadian owning hundreds of thousands of dangerous banned firearms would constitute a continuing threat, n'est ce pas? Some may even be unvaccinated!
Blair seems to be no different than Julian Fantino. What is it with former Toronto Police Chiefs? Power hungry dilatants.

Thinking the EA just saved the government a billion dollars on payouts?

What I saw had supposed RCMP members gleefully excited to visit violence on the protesters. And hoping it didn't end before they got their punches in.

Appears you're right.

I don't see anything wrong with the police being excited about hurting the protestors. 2/3rds of Canadians supported violence being used after all. They even wanted the army called in. The police were just getting themselves psyched up for what the citizens wanted from them.

Back