• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Another observation:

It's apparent from watching the footage that they had to fly in Police from across the Country to deal with the Ottawa situation.

Quite clear to me that had this thing gotten any bigger, they would have potentially been unable to control it, especially if more bloackades has cropped up simultaneously.
Oh yes. Ottawa police is not big enough to deal with situations like this.

So there will need to be some sort of QRF for police set up, likely using the SQ as well as OPP to reinforce them, or they will need to get significantly bigger relatively quickly.

Easy thought experiment is to imagine what you think might have happened if this was essentially an indigenous protest: what the politicians would have said, how they would have responded, whether or not emergency measures would have been deployed (eg. "for the first time we're doing it, and it's against aboriginals"), where public opinions would sit, how people would look upon comments by people responsible for enforcement.

The core of the "emergency" being over, surely the measures will be withdrawn. Media could be a big help holding governments' feet to the fire, assuming they're not preoccupied with scoring small-beer points against people like Kenney and Ford.

Another observation:

It's apparent from watching the footage that they had to fly in Police from across the Country to deal with the Ottawa situation.

Quite clear to me that had this thing gotten any bigger, they would have potentially been unable to control it, especially if more bloackades has cropped up simultaneously.
It pushed our national policing resources to the brink. It's entirely possible any bigger and either A) the caf would of been called in, or B we would of seen a massive mobile force of officers traveling around the country to systematically deal with each illigal protest one at a time.

Easy thought experiment is to imagine what you think might have happened if this was essentially an indigenous protest: what the politicians would have said, how they would have responded, whether or not emergency measures would have been deployed (eg. "for the first time we're doing it, and it's against aboriginals"), where public opinions would sit, how people would look upon comments by people responsible for enforcement.

The core of the "emergency" being over, surely the measures will be withdrawn. Media could be a big help holding governments' feet to the fire, assuming they're not preoccupied with scoring small-beer points against people like Kenney and Ford.
I think any group trying to occupy a city center and being extremely loud while doing so would not have public support for very long.

Probably why first nations have stuck to protesting near their traditional lands.

It pushed our national policing resources to the brink. It's entirely possible any bigger and either A) the caf would of been called in, or B we would of seen a massive mobile force of officers traveling around the country to systematically deal with each illigal protest one at a time.
I don't think it pushed the national policing resources to the brink.

I think bigger police forces could have probably dealt with it, Toronto or Montreal.

What the convoy played on was jurisdiction. They overwhelmed Ottawa police, and once that happened its a matter of who is left to clean up the mess. Sloly called for 1800 extra officers, more than the entire police force of Ottawa, and definitely more than the frontline officers of the entire Ottawa police force, and that seemed to be slow in coming. It in fact didn't seem to happen until after the EA. And with the components of the SQ joining in, far outside their jurisdiction, it begs the question if it could have happened within Ontario alone at all.

So this country has more than enough police to deal with things like this, its just a matter of organizing all of them to be able to deal with things like this in a far swifter manner and hopefully without having to resort to things like the EA.

I think its reasonable for provincial police forces and the national police force to have a QRF in place in case this happens again.

Mel Lastman wasnā€™t alive in 1886.

Perhaps you didnā€™t read my post accurately?

I said:

ā€¦not ā€œfoundedā€ā€¦

I read it.

If your intent was to involve Mayor Lastman in the discussion... :ROFLMAO:

I read it.

If your intent was to get in a crack about Mayor Lastman... :ROFLMAO:
No, actuallyā€¦it was using him [Lastman] as an oblique reference to make the case for why the Post Millennial article was particularly poorly titled as though to lay blame for the horse incident directly on Trudeau.

To wit:
Thatā€™s a stupidly-titled article by-line. Iā€™m not a fan of Trudeauā€™s contribution to the melĆ©e, but this title is foolish demonization. Too bad Mel Lastman wasnā€™t alive, then we could blame it on him, since he funded the TPS Mounted Unit when he was mayor of Torontoā€¦

Sentence 1. Main complaint.
Sentence 2. Cutting the PM some slack.
Sentence 3. Pitching an absurd extension of the papersā€™ crappy basis article title to reinforce points made in Sentences 1 & 2.

Thinking on later today, I suppose the NDP will vote with the LPC. Most protests in this country originate on the "left", not the "right". However, I don't expect Singh et al to take the long view.

No, actuallyā€¦it was using him [Lastman] as an oblique reference to make the case for why the Post Millennial article was particularly poorly titled as though to lay blame for the horse incident directly on Trudeau.

To wit:

Sentence 1. Main complaint.
Sentence 2. Cutting the PM some slack.
Sentence 3. Pitching an absurd extension of the papersā€™ crappy basis article title to reinforce points made in Sentences 1 & 2.

I really misunderstood the point you were making! Sorry.

Thinking on later today, I suppose the NDP will vote with the LPC. Most protests in this country originate on the "left", not the "right". However, I don't expect Singh et al to take the long view.
ā€¦but they wonā€™t hesitate to walk it back when the next protest is left not right basedā€¦

1645469836063.gif

šŸ˜‰

ā€¦but they wonā€™t hesitate to walk it back when the next protest is left not right basedā€¦

View attachment 68889

šŸ˜‰
I think what this has shown us is how tuned into their "teams" political parties are.

First nations railroad protests. LPC and NDP are sympathetic, CPC and PPC are critical.

Anti mandate truckers protests. LPC and NDP are critical, CPC and PPC are sympathetic.

And for those who think it's just the LPC playing wedge politics for short term political gain...everyone is doing it.

Maybe speaking of attacking pipeline workers? I reckon the NDP is ok with that
That one certainly came to mind, OS.

To appreciate the influence of external funding, whether what some might call ā€˜eco-terroristsā€™ or others using terms less extreme, those who take the time to read a statement of the Wetā€™suwetā€™en leaders on the violence associated with Coastal GasLink protests published in the National Post this December, will find it interesting.

It will be interesting to see if the Federal Government pursues foreign-funded eco-terrorists with the EA, or just the vanilla Anti-Terrorism Actā€¦or at allā€¦ šŸ¤”

That one certainly came to mind, OS.

To appreciate the influence of external funding, whether what some might call ā€˜eco-terroristsā€™ or others using terms less extreme, those who take the time to read a statement of the Wetā€™suwetā€™en leaders on the violence associated with Coastal GasLink protests published in the National Post this December, will find it interesting.

It will be interesting to see if the Federal Government pursues foreign-funded eco-terrorists with the EA, or just the vanilla Anti-Terrorism Actā€¦or at allā€¦ šŸ¤”
Iā€™m not sure where it stands. But I know a lot of environmental ā€œcharitiesā€ had their status revoke over funding political activities.

I mentioned this before, and I say this as a non expert and only casual observer of foreign funded terrorism, I think that these groups have very sophisticated (or should I say not very sophisticated) ways of ā€œfundingā€. Making it much harder to track. Cash transactions? Maybe. Not as easy as an internet banking trail. Better laundering? Maybe as well. Theyā€™ve been at the game longer than the extreme right has in that regard.

I stand to be corrected or informed though.

Post Millennial, Rebel news, and Fox news seem to be the only stations mentioning this story.
CBC and CTV have both covered it. They have her name her age and her leaving the hospital with her niece. They are covering it more from the misinformation angle though.

I think that as much as people learned what not to do from Ottawa with protesters, I think they will also study how they managed to clear them with minimal altercations, damage and injuries.

Only 2 SIU investigations so far from one of the largest police operations in recent history is actually pretty good. And one of those investigations is on a complaint with no witnesses or reported injury so far.

Iā€™m sure more will come out maybe but from all accounts acting police chief can be proud of how he handled this.

Back