• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Would it be wrong to suggest that the response to Trudeau from the assembled voice of NATO might have been something along the lines of

"Thank you for your support, but, all things considered we'd really rather you didn't"

Ok, let me get this straight…

The government said as late as this morning that the Emergencies Act will remain in place for a while yet…

…this afternoon, some Senators say “Now it’s our turn to look at this and we have questions “…

…and later on the government says “Ok, we don’t need this anymore. We’re done. “

Was the Senate going to turf this motion and the government revoked the motion so it wouldn’t embarrass them?

Or is it all a coincidence? Enquiring minds want to know!

🤔
1645663965982.png
His speech was really good, I thought it was going to pass yesterday. But Trudeau tipped off that it was going to likely fail.
1645664124225.png

Reactions: QV
We could have an entire thread on Ottawa City Hall incompetence and corruption. The folks in Centretown may be cheering the "occupation" if that was the catalyst that exposed and tossed out the Watson Cabal.
If you made the thread about both Ottawa and Victoria then you could have people post blind headlines and let people vote for a day on whether it was in Ottawa or Victoria before revealing the answer and full article.

:giggle:

View attachment 68931
His speech was really good, I thought it was going to pass yesterday. But Trudeau tipped off that it was going to likely fail.
View attachment 68932
Minute 1:20:20

Section 58 (7)

If a motion for confirmation of a declaration of emergency is negatived by either House of Parliament, the declaration, to the extent that it has not previously expired or been revoked, is revoked effective on the day of the negative vote and no further action under this section need be taken in the other House with respect to the motion.

I would like to thank the politician or bureaucrat that had that "Stop Work Order" inserted into the text of the Act.

It gave the Senate equal authority over the government as the Commons has. Except the Senate is less susceptible to the politics of the day and partisanship.

Not useless after all.

View attachment 68931
View attachment 68932

A long but very worth while video to watch. It really lays out the scope of what Trudeau was trying to pull.

I've always been critical about the non-elected senators (and honestly will continue to be) but they really seemed to have curbed a opportunity for mass-abuse to take place.

Minute 1:20:20

Section 58 (7)

I would like to thank the politician or bureaucrat that had that "Stop Work Order" inserted into the text of the Act.

It gave the Senate equal authority over the government as the Commons has. Except the Senate is less susceptible to the politics of the day and partisanship.

Not useless after all.

This is a point I have raised with people over the years. Senators don't need to be elected, so don't have to play retail politics, or play nice with the leader of their party.

The Senate exists for situations like this, and it appears that they did exactly what they are supposed to do.

They’re not wrong…definitely an own goal.

They’re not wrong…definitely an own goal.
So…was I the only one who snickered at this line below in the aforementioned article???

If Butts had targeted the hallucinatory reports from the make-believe world of America’s extreme right, it would have been understandable. Indeed, it’s the conspiracy-obsessed Trumpist media that made frenzied attacks on unfriendly journalists a favourite weapon. But Butts’ intervention wasn’t aimed at the Fox mob or any of their cohort. The New York Times, Economist and Financial Times are all respected, upstanding, serious-minded publications with global audiences that look to them for accurate and well-informed coverage. And each of them thinks Justin Trudeau blew it when he seized on the Emergencies Act to end the siege in Ottawa’s streets.

Trolling PMedMoe? I'm not averse to that.

On the other hand the authors of those articles might call it newsworthy honest comment.

Cheers!.
Pick which of the comments you're referring to. Or you can just PM me to not derail an already derailed thread.

Side note: I miss spell check.

Ontario’s MTO has begun revoking commercial vehicle licenses, suspending Ontario operation privileges for our-of-province trucks, and issuing license plate seizure orders for commercial vehicle operators who were involved in illegal activity. A few dozen businesses are effectively shut down.

I'm glad it got sorted. I'm glad trudeau got his comeuppance. I'm glad butts is pissed enough at the failure that he's slamming good, honest journalism. With luck, they won't be so endeared with our government anymore. As far as the world is concerned, he wasn't taken very seriously anyway. Hopefully, he becomes more of a pariah on the world stage. What I don't like, is it didn't all play out. He's been left with room to scheme, manufacture and lie, conive and plot some more. Him and his team have been stung.......badly. He is not the type to accept blame or humiliation, warranted or not, without becoming a vindictive little brat. If one good thing came out of it all, Singh was shown as just another liberal lackey back bencher. Hope he splits the grit vote.

On a positive note for LPC the invasion of Ukraine will provide enough of a distraction in the media for this whole Emergency Act abuse of power thing to go away.
It shouldn't. It's not like we really have any kind of role to play or capability to offer. What sanctions? I don't expect much more than when he grabbed the Crimea. We sure taught putin a lesson there, didn't we.😉

On a positive note for LPC the invasion of Ukraine will provide enough of a distraction in the media for this whole Emergency Act abuse of power thing to go away.

I wonder if Trudeau arranged that on purpose?

youtube fashion GIF

Ontario’s MTO has begun revoking commercial vehicle licenses, suspending Ontario operation privileges for our-of-province trucks, and issuing license plate seizure orders for commercial vehicle operators who were involved in illegal activity. A few dozen businesses are effectively shut down.

Destroy's people livelihood, because that will work really well to have them not become even more desperate.

The Senate, should be able to trigger an election, with the consent of the Commons, if they return the bill to the Commons for reconsideration. All the Commons would have to do would be pass a motion of Non-Confidence in the government.

But they can do that already can't they?

We really shouldn't be afraid of elections, or consider them an imposition or unnecessary expense. I would like to see them happen frequently. Until the government (of any stripe) starts to understand it is important to work with the people and not across them.
The appointed should determine the mandate of the elected? That's not far off what some of the protesters demanded of the GG.

I'm also not clear on the whole 'forcing with consent' angle. The House decides if the government has its confidence to govern.

Back