• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

There where a few acts of vandalism - a window broken in an apartment building and a trash can set ablaze by protestors at the same site.
There where some hooligans there, it's important to admit that aspect of it, even thought the vast majority didn't do things like that.
I recognize that, so comparatively this protest was virtually vandalism and violence free compared to other prominent protests.

I sincerely believe that calling the occupation "peaceful" is disingenuous at best. There was a constant implicit and often explicit threat of violence throughout. People and businesses were harassed and screamed at for wearing masks. People who stood up and resisted were threatened. The continuous noise was an aural assault. My friends who live downtown were losing their minds from the stress. I can't imagine what it was like for people who were vulnerable or already suffering from mental health issues.

The greater group of the occupiers cavalierly dismiss the fear and suffering of the downtown populace. They felt no threat to themselves so everything was hunky dory until the greater police presence moved in.

AKa - I can agree with you and yet still find myself thinking that we are measuring the event by a very Canadian scale. Given some well known alternatives, even within Canada.

I am glad that I live in a country where this protest is considered to be the outer limits of the acceptable. Just as the Government's response was.

Apparently one of the lesser lights has decided to live stream bail hearings on Facebook, in contravention of the direction of the JPs.

I suspect yet another instance of FAFO is about to unfold.

Apparently one of the lesser lights has decided to live stream bail hearings on Facebook, in contravention of the direction of the JPs.

I suspect yet another instance of FAFO is about to unfold.

Joe Dirt GIF by MOODMAN

I sincerely believe that calling the occupation "peaceful" is disingenuous at best. There was a constant implicit and often explicit threat of violence throughout. People and businesses were harassed and screamed at for wearing masks. People who stood up and resisted were threatened. The continuous noise was an aural assault. My friends who live downtown were losing their minds from the stress. I can't imagine what it was like for people who were vulnerable or already suffering from mental health issues.

The greater group of the occupiers cavalierly dismiss the fear and suffering of the downtown populace. They felt no threat to themselves so everything was hunky dory until the greater police presence moved in.

Thinking more about this got me to wondering if I consider this Freedom Convoy episode, both its rise to the occupation and blockades, and the response of the Government, to reflect well on Canada.

In all, I have to say that despite the actions of some, at all levels, I believe that the episode in total reflects well on Canada. The fact that demonstrators could organize, fund, initiate and maintain their demonstration lawfully is a good thing (Pace Martha Stewart). It was considered sufficiently worthy that it attracted sympathy within Canada and, importantly, internationally. Foreigners saw Canadian protesters in portable hot tubs on Parliament Hill with Bouncy Castles and kids, having barbecues and protesting against their government. The scene was replicated in New Zealand and, I believe in Australia. Is it reasonable to suspect that those scenes were also seen in St Petersburg, Vladivostok, Rostov, Moscow and Kaliningrad? Kiev?

The response of the Government was also, equally noteworthy.

In the case of the Coutts blockade, when some people with guns were found to be supporting the blockade the rest of the supporter did not hinder the police in executing their duly authorized warrants. And once those guns were removed the remainder of the supporters melted away and were allowed to do so by the police. The protesters cleaned up the site before they left. As some one with the privilege (an over used and ill used word these days) of living in Southern Alberta, an hour from Coutts, and surrounded by a staunchly religious community of Christians of various beliefs (particularly Hutterites, Mennonites, Mormons and Reformers - all of whom have been persecuted historically) I can say that the action and the reaction were entirely in keeping. Ability to make decisions freely, as they see fit is at the core of their beliefs. As is pacifism. Their pacifism, however, is not the same as being passive. Their protest, and the Government's response was entirely in keeping.

In the case of the Windsor Blockade a small number of protesters were allowed to demonstrate and block passage for a period of days while the police controlled the situation, sought legal remedies and then, as at Coutts, executed their warrants, again, largely with the compliance of the demonstrators. (I wonder if there is more interest now in building that second public bridge now - apparently the privately held, profitable one, is insecure).

Then there is the Ottawa case. If anything the problem seems to have been that a significant portion of the local police were disinclined to be heavy handed with the protesters due to personal sympathies with them. It took a number of sleepless nights before the Federal Government felt it needed to do something, and when it did, in my opinion, over reach and implement a major infringement of Canadian liberties, it was called on it.

Credit to the police, in the main, for controlling and clearing the protests. Credit to the protesters, in the main, for respecting the enforced law and, again, in the main, controlling themselves.

People on all sides were certainly angry. They certainly believed the other side's supporters to be in the wrong. And for the best part of a month they confronted each other all the way across Canada.

And nobody died. And injuries and property damage were similar to that seen in any city in the world after a drunken celebration by supporters of a local team after winning a sports championship.

All in all, I think it presents an interesting, and worthy, contrast to those facing the prospect of protesting in Moscow, Hong Kong and Beijing.

Again,

I'm happy I live here.

Thinking more about this got me to wondering if I consider this Freedom Convoy episode, both its rise to the occupation and blockades, and the response of the Government, to reflect well on Canada.

In all, I have to say that despite the actions of some, at all levels, I believe that the episode in total reflects well on Canada. The fact that demonstrators could organize, fund, initiate and maintain their demonstration lawfully is a good thing (Pace Martha Stewart). It was considered sufficiently worthy that it attracted sympathy within Canada and, importantly, internationally. Foreigners saw Canadian protesters in portable hot tubs on Parliament Hill with Bouncy Castles and kids, having barbecues and protesting against their government. The scene was replicated in New Zealand and, I believe in Australia. Is it reasonable to suspect that those scenes were also seen in St Petersburg, Vladivostok, Rostov, Moscow and Kaliningrad? Kiev?

In the case of the Coutts blockade, when some people with guns were found to be supporting the blockade the rest of the supporter did not hinder the police in executing their duly authorized warrants. And once those guns were removed the remainder of the supporters melted away and were allowed to do so by the police. The protesters cleaned up the site before they left. As some one with the privilege (an over used and ill used word these days) of living in Southern Alberta, an hour from Coutts, and surrounded by a staunchly religious community of Christians of various beliefs (particularly Hutterites, Mennonites, Mormons and Reformers - all of whom have been persecuted historically) I can say that the action and the reaction were entirely in keeping. Ability to make decisions freely, as they see fit is at the core of their beliefs. As is pacifism. Their pacifism, however, is not the same as being passive. Their protest, and the Government's response was entirely in keeping.

In the case of the Windsor Blockade a small number of protesters were allowed to demonstrate and block passage for a period of days while the police controlled the situation, sought legal remedies and then, as at Coutts, executed their warrants, again, largely with the compliance of the demonstrators. (I wonder if there is more interest now in building that second public bridge now - apparently the privately held, profitable one, is insecure).

Then there is the Ottawa case. If anything the problem seems to have been that a significant portion of the local police were disinclined to be heavy handed with the protesters due to personal sympathies with them. It took a number of sleepless nights before the Federal Government felt it needed to do something, and when it did, in my opinion, over reach and implement a major infringement of Canadian liberties, it was called on it.

Credit to the police, in the main, for controlling and clearing the protests. Credit to the protesters, in the main, for respecting the enforced law and, again, in the main, controlling themselves.

People on all sides were certainly angry. They certainly believed the other side's supporters to be in the wrong. And for the best part of a month they confronted each other all the way across Canada.

And nobody died. And injuries and property damage were similar to that seen in any city in the world after a drunken celebration by supporters of a local team after winning a sports championship.

All in all, I think it presents an interesting, and worthy, contrast to those facing the prospect of protesting in Moscow, Hong Kong and Beijing.

Again,

I'm happy I live here.

I'm guessing the answer is related to the numbers that have been on the side of my vehicles over the years...from 22, 54, 84, to a few with some 9's in them...

Again,

I'm happy I live here.
Speaking of NZ

I was thinking the same but there
I'm guessing the answer is related to the numbers that have been on the side of my vehicles over the years...from 22, 54, 84, to a few with some 9's in them...
Thinking so. Wondering who it is and if it's a standard practice or something brought out for the protests.

Whatever the social media opinions are, it would be interesting to read a legal opinion on the class-action lawsuit.

Ottawa lawsuit going ahead against protesters​

Appreciate that thank you. I wonder if there's ever been talk for police to adopt a type of blue force tracker system.
It’s in use and field trialed multiple places. There’s some hiccups but it’s the direction we re headed. Different types of the same concept.

A few years out being standard but I’ve been in trials in several cities for several similar systems. From front line 911 cops and higher taskings

So it’s where we are headed

I was in a shared command post with a large muni agency and they were using a system similar to blueforce as well

Naturally- no ability to see each other though. Lol

Naturally- no ability to see each other though. Lol
I was just having some drinks with an officer who was present for the protests. Not in a position to share what was discussed but even as a veteran of "army stupidity" I was still really surprised at the BS some police were dealing with. From the public (no surprise), but especially from from their CoC and even from other officers.

I hope some stories see the light of day and the issues get addressed because they're pretty huge.

Back