• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Really? Unless the system's changed a lot since I left a long time ago, depending on the circumstances, disobeying a lawful command could do.
Is infringing on someone's right to freely assemble because they're breaking noise bylaws and the highway traffic act a lawful order? There's 0 reason the CAF needs or should be involved in a non-violent protest that's just inconviencing upper middle class Liberals in downtown Ottawa. How quickly people forget the debacle of Oka.

Is infringing on someone's right to freely assemble because they're breaking noise bylaws and the highway traffic act a lawful order? There's 0 reason the CAF needs or should be involved in a non-violent protest that's just inconviencing upper middle class Liberals in downtown Ottawa. How quickly people forget the debacle of Oka.

Exactly. Getting us involved is a no win situation.

At some point protests become unlawful. This one became unlawful a few days ago. So authorities are actually being quite tolerant at this point.

that's just inconviencing upper middle class Liberals in downtown Ottawa
Upper middle class folks who can afford a house are NOT living in downtown Ottawa. They're in the suburbs like the Glebe, Kanata, or the Golden Triangle (which is close to, but not where the trucks are right now).

The folks living downtown are generally younger, and not as well-off.

If they wanted to get the attention of the rich Liberal folk, they should be honking their horns in the Glebe and Rockcliffe.

Upper middle class folks who can afford a house are NOT living in downtown Ottawa. They're in the suburbs.

The folks downtown are generally younger, and not as well-off.
Exactly. I don’t think he’s actually from Ottawa though so that would be understandable.

Exactly. I don’t think he’s actually from Ottawa though so that would be understandable.
My point stands for any city in Canada (arguably North America).

Downtown folks are generally younger, hence not as wealthy (aside from family money) - they move to the suburbs once they have a family and want more space.

At some point protests become unlawful. This one became unlawful a few days ago. So authorities are actually being quite tolerant at this point.
Quite tolerant? There's been what, 2 or 3 arrests? No reports of violence or confrontations with police, only amiable conversation and videos of the protestors cleaning up garbage and shoveling snow. I totally get it, you've bought into the Liberal party line of "theyre against us so they must be racist" but it's awfully convenient there's been no more reports of nazi or confederate flags after the protestors themselves tossed those morons out. Media isn't even trying to do investigative journalism to find out who they were.

A slim majority of Canadians support the ideals of this protest, which is end all COVID restrictions and let people manage thier own risk. If you want to lock yourself in your home and be scared of non-existant racists on every street corner, go nuts. Your fear and paranoia shouldn't be our national policy though.

Upper middle class folks who can afford a house are NOT living in downtown Ottawa. They're in the suburbs like the Glebe, Kanata, or the Golden Triangle (which is close to, but not where the trucks are right now).

The folks living downtown are generally younger, and not as well-off.

If they wanted to get the attention of the rich Liberal folk, they should be honking their horns in the Glebe and Rockcliffe.
Just keep them away from Westboro ;)

Quite tolerant? There's been what, 2 or 3 arrests? No reports of violence or confrontations with police, only amiable conversation and videos of the protestors cleaning up garbage and shoveling snow. I totally get it, you've bought into the Liberal party line of "theyre against us so they must be racist" but it's awfully convenient there's been no more reports of nazi or confederate flags after the protestors themselves tossed those morons out. Media isn't even trying to do investigative journalism to find out who they were.

A slim majority of Canadians support the ideals of this protest, which is end all COVID restrictions and let people manage thier own risk. If you want to lock yourself in your home and be scared of non-existant racists on every street corner, go nuts. Your fear and paranoia shouldn't be our national policy though.
Yes tolerant. I’m not sure what we are arguing? An unlawful gathering that’s been allowed to stay for 5 days with little or no arrests or tickets. So Why are you taking issue with that? They didn’t even have a permit. So yes, Ottawa has been quite tolerant. I’ve seen crowds dispersed to far less.

I’m not locked in at all. I have no reason to go downtown though.

Can you provide a source for this slight majority that supports the current protest?

Where did I say they were racist? The organizers have a history of that, yes but people seem willing to dismiss that. But I haven’t painted the bulk of them as racists.

Ah yes fear and paranoia should not be part of our national policy but neither should hatred intolerance and anger, but here we are.

If another convoy does go to Toronto this weekend as they claim, we'll see how tolerant Torontonians are. I have a feeling they will be less nice than the citizens of Ottawa.

"This is Scarborough baby, they don't play that sh*t." :)

Exactly. Getting us involved is a no win situation.
Is infringing on someone's right to freely assemble because they're breaking noise bylaws and the highway traffic act a lawful order?
Well, I did say "depending on the circumstances." If someone is tasked to enforce the law of the land as it exists, and they choose not to, well, there's consequences to that. Same with a cop choosing not to enforce a law of the land because they disagree with it. That said ...
There's 0 reason the CAF needs or should be involved ...
1000000% agreement at this point

Nope. Are you from Alberta?
Most of my cousins are, and Saskatchewan, oil & gas workers mostly, but no, as it turns out, I’m actually originally from Toronto but emmigrated before it became the center of the Canadian universe.

My question was posed to as such because it sounded a lot like stereotypical Torontonians being put out by something and wanting something to be done about it right away (clear snow, etc.)

Perhaps I should have included a smiley to make it clearer. 😉

Back