• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Canadian Airborne Capability and Organisation! Or, is it Redundant? (a merged thread)

Zipper has a point, but not the one he thought he was making (hey, it happens)

We are thrashing about to have a "balanced" and "General purpose" armed forces without any clear definition of what it is we are supposed to do. I'm not talking in the Gen Hillier sense ("we kill people"), but in the more philosophical "why we kill people" sense. If we are killing people in far away places to ensure local instability doesn't boil over into regional or even international mayhem, then we need to concentrate on a particular type of force structure, which is generally light and expeditionary in nature. Extrapolating from this, we end up generating airbore forces and SOF units so we can "kill people" over there rather than waiting to deal with the problems over here.

If the people we want to kill are not local terrorists, criminal warlords or other miscreants, but work in organized armies using the power of the State to threaten neighbours etc., then we need more capable killing tools, and the means to transport and support these tools and equipment to the theater of operations. Iraq is the premier model, being a thorn in everyones side since the 1980s. Iran is certainly gunning for that spot now, as is North Korea, and there is a large body of opinion that China is also there.

The other thing is the end state we want to achieve. A commercial Republic like the United States really needs a Navy and Marines to launch punitive expeditions. An Imperial power needs legions which can defeat all comers and has the muscle and logistics to stay in place for years and decades (an Empire can be a Democracy, the Athenians converted the Delian league into their own Empire, and the British Empire was also a Constitutional Monarchy, with decisions made by parliament. How far the United States has gone down this path is a matter of debate).

We as a nation need to debate this issue and come to a consensus. If it is felt that killing people only involves terrorists and the like, then light, airborn forces and SOF are the way to go. If it is felt that State powers are the "real" threat, then medium and heavy forces with appropriate transport and logistics must be procured. If we really feel the need to be part of an Empire, then the size and composition of the forces will be much different and much larger than anything we currently envision, while punitive forces will also require a change in direction.

Although I have posted extensively on other threads about the organization of medium forces (since that is where we are at currently), if I had a clean sheet of paper I would be on the side of the airborne/expeditionary model for "firefighting" local and regional instability, with some medium forces that could follow up and act as a QRF for the deployed airborne forces. I would also like to see an expanded Navy which could support overseas deployments, and control and secure the shipping lanes vital to our trade. BMD would also be nice.

Airborne and SOF forces can be derived from a clean sheet of paper approach to what we want/need, as well as from the many arguments we see in previous posts.

Seriously, and using KISS, we are facing two major problems in this matter. 

First, the lack of Political and Public will to fund our military: and

two, the lack of Public will to 'man' the CF.

With no money and no pers, have no ability to even talk about Airborne Forces, Air Mobile Forces, or more SOF troops.  Lack of Aircraft, lack of land equipment, etc. neuter any dreams of this in the near future.

Infanteer said:
Are you sure about that?   Judging from the comments of our American allies, we haven't been doing too bad in Afghanistan.

Why do people assume that the Canadian Army of today is a big sack of pussies because we don't have The Airborne Regiment/Tanks/insertyourcausehere?

Canadians,  the Military in pparticular have a tradition of 'soldiering on'  despite the circumstances, politics etc.  That is why we are respected by our allies especially our neighbors.  Remember what Nancy Green said," hard work and PERSEVERIENCE"!

LF(CMO) said:
Canadians,   the Military in particular have a tradition of 'soldiering on'   despite the circumstances, politics etc.   That is why we are respected by our allies especially our neighbors.   Remember what Nancy Green said," hard work and PERSEVERIENCE"!

Doesn't answer my question - I'm curious as to why you consider the Army of today to suck ass, which seems to be implied with the "real kick a**" remark.

Please re-phase your question with out the epithets, 'suck' and 'pussies'.

Well, I lowered it down to the level you took it to with the notion of the loss of a "real kick ass" Army with the disbandment of the Airborne Regiment.  My question still stands, how is it that our Army does not "kick ass" anymore, when you consider that much of our equipment is top notch, we have leadership which has an unprecedented amount of operational experience, we have a CDS who's leading from the front and has almost total support of the Forces, and we are shifting back to a combat footing by moving down to Kandahar and going on the offensive with our American brothers who seem to, from all the anecdotes I've heard, value our contribution as a proficient fighting force.

So I ask again, where are you getting this notion that we don't "kick ass" anymore?

....Firstly we shoud get some planes for you to jump out of

The Canadian Army does very well because despite everything that happens there are some very dedicated people (you are obviously one yourself or you wouldn't be pursuing this so vigorously) that somehow manage to carry on.

PERSEVERIENCE!

Agreed with Majoor and GW ( as usual George!  :D) And thanks Majoor for expanding on what is really going on in my limited skull space. ;D

As for our military sucking whatever. I guess that is a perception (however wrong) on the part of many of the public. When do we ever hear anything really good about our military beyond short snippits here and there?

If something goes wrong, you hear about it ad nasium for weeks.

Its also the fact that we DO A VERY GOOD job combat wise, but only with small units (platoon and smaller) that do not get much attention.

Gone are the days of regiments and larger formations doing a bang up job and marching with battle honours flying (and bands playing) down streets crowded with people cheering. This is the whole reason for pomp.

So here is a question.

How do we as either still serving soldiers/ex members/interested public (good on ya) go about raising the profile of our military to that of something that is once again valued by the public at large?

LF(CMO) said:
The Canadian Army does very well because despite everything that happens there are some very dedicated people (you are obviously one yourself or you wouldn't be pursuing this so vigorously) that somehow manage to carry on.

PERSEVERIENCE!
That ladies and gentlemen is how you backpedal!

I think the biggest step to that would be having people with previous service in places of power in both business and government. Seems to me that one of the huge reasons that the military (beyond historical reason of course) in the US has such support is that many of the influential players of the public and private sectors push it upon the populace constantly and they also have a military that knows which side it's bread is buttered on and place to it IE: the encouragement of say Marines to wear their dress blues every chance they get.

Think about the glut of military genre movies and books and TV specials constantly barraging the average joe with the gung ho kick butt attitude, hard not to support your forces when all you see is the hard charging soldier doing his duty for "old Glory". Now what we need is a serious big budget movie like BHD say depicting the Medak or the operations of ours snipers and JTF2 in Afghanistan put it out there make the public see what we do and how we do it, hit them with mainstream (CanWest) TV specials showing our troops and the courses we do and life in the field for our hard chargers...trust me a year or 2 of that and recruiting would be up public oppinion would be up and we would be back in the spot light we never should have left.

thats just my thoughts though.

LF(CMO) said:

Thanks for the straight-forward answer; I now know to look for substantiation to claims you make on these forums....

PERSEVERIENCE!

per ·se ·ver ·ance

n.

Steady persistence in adhering to a course of action, a belief, or a purpose; steadfastness.

"That ladies and gentlemen is how you backpedal!"

As to the above:the  I had nothing to add to the original statement other than the comments that followed.  I do apologise for the misspelling of the P word.  I'm in the middle of haying and I needed a part for my swather. I just stopped by here for some diversion while I was in the house for Coffee!

LF(CMO), I was in the Combat Arms in the "old Army" that you said "kick a**." Looking at what I see in the New Army (I'm still in, just not Cbt Arms) I think the New Army is fundamentally superior to the Old. Airborne Regiment or not.

But that's just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Acorn

Zipper said:
Agreed with Majoor and GW ( as usual George!  :D) And thanks Majoor for expanding on what is really going on in my limited skull space. ;D

Hey, what are friends for anyway!  ;D ;D ;D

LF(CMO) call me a critic but your a CIC officer right?  Why dont you stay in your lane.

Back