• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

Not sure if everyone knows this already but advanced polls are open.  Just saying this because several people at work had no idea they could vote now. When my wife and I voted there was only one other person voting at the time so we were in and out in about 5 minutes.

Trudeau won't remove Liberal candidate for racist, sexist social-media posts
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elections/trudeau-wont-remove-liberal-candidate-for-racist-sexist-social-media-posts/ar-AAImSNV

Trudeau sidestepped a question about whether he feels limited in his ability to censure candidates for past racist behaviours after photos and a video emerged in the first week of the campaign showing the Liberal leader wearing blackface makeup.

Good news for Liberal candidates.

Brad Sallows said:
A few possible scenarios.

1. A minority CPC victory could wind up playing out like Joe Clark's short-lived government.  CPC victory prompts LPC to find a better leader; they find one; Scheer governs uninspiringly; CPC gets booted after a short run and LPC is back.

2. LPC wins a majority.  Trudeau is harder to replace, but Scheer is toast.  CPC has an opportunity to become competitive.

3. LPC wins a minority.  Knives eventually come out for Trudeau.
3a.  Scheer is able to stagger on; CPC continues to be weak; new LPC leader leads to victory.
3b.  Scheer accepts that he ain't got it; CPC has an opportunity to become competitive.

My preferred case is 1a, which isn't on the list because I doubt Scheer has the backbone for it: CPC minority; Scheer accepts that he is weak because he couldn't defeat such a flawed LPC government and resigns early on.

... you forgot one:

4. Concurrently, the Left remains hopelessly divided between the 'Cray Cray Greens' (CCG) and the Under-performing Lighweight Neo-NDP (ULNNDP) giving the other two a chance to romp in the park without fear of being taken on by a formerly impressive and credible political alternative at the other end of the spectrum.

I can't believe I'm cheering for the Bloc... the enemy of my enemy is my friend I guess... but it looks like the Bloc might be the force that saves the rest of Canada from a Liberal majority despite our collective stupidity.

I’m being cynical but maybe we could persuade a few more “pretty boys” to run . This last one is a disaster.

stellarpanther said:
Not sure if everyone knows this already but advanced polls are open.  Just saying this because several people at work had no idea they could vote now. When my wife and I voted there was only one other person voting at the time so we were in and out in about 5 minutes.

It will be a two hour drive their and back. But doing it tomorrow, going to book off from work now. Totally forgot about that myself.

Abdullah

stellarpanther said:

Semantics (ways to vote).  While any eligible elector can vote using the "special ballot process" at any Elections Canada office before 1800 hrs 16 October or at one of over 115 campuses between October 5 to October 9, "Advance Polls" (a different process) will only be open on 11, 12, 13 and 14 October.  On those days voters will have to go to their assigned advance polling place.

Or those voting as CF electors, just go where and when they tell you.

ModlrMike said:
In fairness to Mr Scheer, I don't think the Conservative Party ever expected this election to be so close. When he was selected as leader, I felt that he was there to "mind the shop" until the next leader could be selected in about six years, when the country was well and truly tired of the Liberals. A nice guy who could keep the various factions of the party together until someone more dynamic was made available.

Agreed and I have said this many times.  But I think the same can be said for Libs.  Trudeau was expected to be the return of the Sun King.  Easily a 2 term PM, perhaps more ? 

I am not so sure that the Federal Liberal high brass expected JT to be so divisive or such a liability every time he opens his mouth. 

In short I don't think any of the 2 major parties really expect we would be where we are now.  A very very divisive and tight race.

One has shown he can't meet high expectations. The other has the chance to show he can exceed low ones.

Watching this debate right now I see that Scheer does a better job on attacking Trudeau instead of giving good answers.  I would rather him say what his party would do if elected and let the voter decide if leader's policy is good or not.  His constant attacks are part of what got me not to vote for the Cons.

My impression is that Trudeau is running against Harper, and Scheer is running against Trudeau but not running for himself & his party.

Singh made a comment about it earlier tonight - something along the lines of "You're spending all your time on why people shouldn't vote for the other guy, instead of giving them reasons why they should vote for you".

I've tried twice now to watch this debate. Ugh its just so depressing that this is our choice for leadership.

And WTF is the Bloc doing on a national debate? Even if they seem to have chance of having the balance of power they still have zero intentions of thinking about the wants and needs of all Canadians.

I'm a political geek and I couldn't stand watching this "debate."  :boring:
I 'll see how the "after party" summary goes.

dapaterson said:
My impression is that Trudeau is running against Harper, and Scheer is running against Trudeau but not running for himself & his party.

Singh made a comment about it earlier tonight - something along the lines of "You're spending all your time on why people shouldn't vote for the other guy, instead of giving them reasons why they should vote for you".

It's been posted to Singh's Twitter account:

What we're seeing tonight is Mr. Trudeau and Mr. Scheer arguing over what is worse for Canada.

I believe we need to be fighting for what will be best for Canada. We need to demand more – not be scared into settling for less.
https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1181356724541968385

Baden Guy said:
I'm a political geek and I couldn't stand watching this "debate."  :boring:
I 'll see how the "after party" summary goes.

Watched a few minutes and changed channels. Might have watched more,
but ran out of beer.

dapaterson said:

I think it seems like Trudeau is running against Harper because when you really look at what the CPC are promising, it's just sounds like a repeat of what Harper ran on.  Nothing really new that I see. 

Back