• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

milnews.ca said:
* - A bit of an experiment:  try reading that sentence six different ways, each time emphasizing a different word.

An amazingly effective technique.  But it still doesn't carry the nuances found in facial expressions and body language.  And a further reason why I dislike texting, emails and even this site (although it is an excellent site).  Nothing beats face to face communication.

Another, similar technique is to look at a photograph of a face and look at just the upper half, just the lower half, just the left side and just the right side.  Cover the bit you're not looking at.  See if the expressions in all cases match.  Routinely they don't.

ModlrMike said:
There appears to be something of a fire developing on Twitter vis-a-vis the LPC and an injunction against the Globe and Mail.  :pop:

I’ve yet to see anything actually corroborating this. Plenty of people have said their G&M arrived on time (hard to completely re-print a newspaper for national distribution on short notice), so that quashes the ‘paper didn’t show up’ rumour.

An injunction would not be something that could stay secret. And it would do far more harm than good we’re there a story that would inevitably be getting out. The courts do not look kindly on giving injunctions in the sort of circumstances rumoured on this.

If the PM/LPC had muzzled a press outlet on a damaging story, every facet of the CPC’s campaign would be absolutely in an uproar over it. I don’t see them even asking pointed questions about it.

Given that we’re in an election period, and how desperately so many people want anything to be true that could hurt ‘the other side’, I’m not gonna credit this with a shred of legitimacy until there is credible corroboration. So far there isn’t even non-credible corroboration.

Jarnhamar said:
I haven't seen any videos or sound bites of that but maybe your right. Do any examples come to mind?

I'm thinking of Trudeau when someone asked him about plastic water bottles. Not much pressure there.

https://youtu.be/_sBxAvxr9fo

He's a drama teacher that excells at memorizing lines. 

Yup. I had no idea who he was before the Conservative elected him. I wish it was Ambrose in that seat instead.

Oh Trudeau waffles too.

Agreed about Ambrose.

Scheer’s performance in both debates was not good.  When questioned about his US citizenship at that press conference he looked like he’d been caught with his hand in the coolie jar.  His best response was that’s no one ever asked...

If he had stated what he said about his stance on abortion this week a few months ago the whole issue would be done and over with.  But he stuck to a line no one was buying. 

I hope he does better this week but I suspect he will struggle again.

ModlrMike said:
There appears to be something of a fire developing on Twitter vis-a-vis the LPC and an injunction against the Globe and Mail.  :pop:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kinsellawarren/status/1180857827839156224

Looks like he’s backtracking but also insinuating that someone’s got to them

:Tin-Foil-Hat:

Remius said:

*shrug* It’s Kinsella. The noise:signal ratio is typically pretty high.

He did kinda put himself out farther than usual on this one...

Brihard said:
*shrug* It’s Kinsella. The noise:signal ratio is typically pretty high.
True, but it's funny how so many people who would have mocked him as a Liberal hack/operator/bag man a week ago are happy to offer this up as evidence of sorts when it's about someone they hate even more.

Remius said:

Maybe butts had lunch with them.

Chris Pook said:
An amazingly effective technique.  But it still doesn't carry the nuances found in facial expressions and body language.  And a further reason why I dislike texting, emails and even this site (although it is an excellent site).  Nothing beats face to face communication.
You're right about the treasure trove of data to be culled by watching.  To be completely fair, the quote is from the reporter's Twitter post, not verbatim from JT.  Still, it can be useful to go over transcripts to avoid getting distracted by the visual, too.  Lots of different ways of learning out there, indeed.

Jack Knox for Prime Minister :)

Jack Knox: Be afraid. Be very afraid. It’s the Politicians

Frankly, it has been hard to keep up. Even now, promises rain down like candy from a parade float. A tax on luxury cars. A federal Family Day holiday. Caps on ATM charges. Planting two billion trees. Planting 10 billion trees.

Except nothing’s really sticking, is it? No one is quite sure what this election is all about, so now it has shifted to the trivial and the distracting, the sideshows outdrawing the main stage as the leaders go after each other’s supposed flaws.

Not that we in the news media aren’t complicit. It usually goes something like this:

Trudeau at a campaign stop: “Today I would like to unveil sweeping agricultural reforms that promise prosperity to canola farmers here in Broken Dreams, Saskatchewan.”

Media: “Boring. What about Andrew Scheer’s vestigial tail?”

Trudeau: “Um, vestigial tails have no place in a free and open society.”

Newspaper headline: “Trudeau rips Scheer over hidden tail.”

Scheer: “I don’t have a vestigial tail, but you might want to check Bernier.”

NDP press release: “Typical Scheer: Deny, deny, deflect -- just like that sketchy Elizabeth May.”

May: “I thought Singh was better than this. You should be disappointed in him.”

Times Colonist editorial -- “Tailgate: Let’s get to the bottom of this” (the TC has some very clever headline writers).

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/jack-knox-be-afraid-be-very-afraid-it-s-the-politicians-1.23967945

I did like one of the follow-on comments to the Kinsella tweet:
Being this dumb should disqualify you from voting.  What is even the point of facts and evidence when dumb people just believe anything?
    :rofl:   

milnews.ca said:
True, but it's funny how so many people who would have mocked him as a Liberal hack/operator/bag man a week ago are happy to offer this up as evidence of sorts when it's about someone they hate even more.
Kinsella is a Chretien Liberal. He has made it clear that he has absolutely clear that he has no time for Trudeau or any of his crew. He believes the Liberals need to lose this election to get rid of the Trudeau crowd from the Party. To his core, I think he is still a Liberal, even if the current party leadership and him are not on speaking terms (to put it mildly).

He may not be wrong. Even a Liberal minority would likely bring about a Conservative leadership review. I doubt they would make the same mistake, twice, and the Liberals are likely to face very effective opposition in 6-12 months.

Plus, the Liberals have gone out of their way to make enemies of 6 provincial premiers (the Conservative ones, especially Ontario). Good luck getting any cooperation out of them. Good luck keeping 650 first nations on side. Good luck if separatism breaks out into the mainstream in Alberta and Saskatchewan and good luck if the economy even catches a whiff of a cold.

In fairness to Mr Scheer, I don't think the Conservative Party ever expected this election to be so close. When he was selected as leader, I felt that he was there to "mind the shop" until the next leader could be selected in about six years, when the country was well and truly tired of the Liberals. A nice guy who could keep the various factions of the party together until someone more dynamic was made available.

ModlrMike said:
In fairness to Mr Scheer, I don't think the Conservative Party ever expected this election to be so close. When he was selected as leader, I felt that he was there to "mind the shop" until the next leader could be selected in about six years, when the country was well and truly tired of the Liberals. A nice guy who could keep the various factions of the party together until someone more dynamic was made available.

That is actually very well said and a point of view I had not considered. 

SeaKingTacco said:
Kinsella is a Chretien Liberal. He has made it clear that he has absolutely clear that he has no time for Trudeau or any of his crew. He believes the Liberals need to lose this election to get rid of the Trudeau crowd from the Party. To his core, I think he is still a Liberal, even if the current party leadership and him are not on speaking terms (to put it mildly).
Just like some say today's Conservatives aren't quite like the "old version" Conservatives - very good point.  And he's likely not the only Team Red member who's less than enamoured of the leadership.

Still, a lot of people I see re-tweeting him don't have your nuanced take on his shade of Red.

milnews.ca said:
Still, a lot of people I see re-tweeting him don't have your nuanced take on his shade of Red.
Quite a few political discussions are all about nuance...… and facts.  ;D

Journeyman said:
Quite a few political discussions and memes are all about nuance...… and facts.  ;D
FTFY  ;D

ModlrMike said:

I have been reflecting on this a bit. Maybe, if they (conservatives) do get elected.. he may show qualities that could enchant those who may not usually vote conservative.

Maybe we all want a more dynamic fellow, but a "blah" candidate is what we need.. I think scheer is an intelligent fellow.. just how intelligent remains to be seen.

If he gets elected, I hope he is on genius level and garners more support over his term. Maybe a minority government with him as leader will be best.. I would prefer a farther right government then he seems to be.. but most Canadian's do not want that. Maybe a relaxed minority, that shows Canadians that are against the right that we are not evil.. could be good.

But this is all a pipe dream, sadly.
Abdullah

A few possible scenarios.

1. A minority CPC victory could wind up playing out like Joe Clark's short-lived government.  CPC victory prompts LPC to find a better leader; they find one; Scheer governs uninspiringly; CPC gets booted after a short run and LPC is back.

2. LPC wins a majority.  Trudeau is harder to replace, but Scheer is toast.  CPC has an opportunity to become competitive.

3. LPC wins a minority.  Knives eventually come out for Trudeau.
3a.  Scheer is able to stagger on; CPC continues to be weak; new LPC leader leads to victory.
3b.  Scheer accepts that he ain't got it; CPC has an opportunity to become competitive.

My preferred case is 1a, which isn't on the list because I doubt Scheer has the backbone for it: CPC minority; Scheer accepts that he is weak because he couldn't defeat such a flawed LPC government and resigns early on.

Re any of the possible case, and especially  the unstated 1a, I feel that individuals who strive for party leadership, and then becoming prime minister, do not suffer from an excess of modesty and self-doubt. If Scheer was to win the prize of his political life, he would be unlikely to surrender it, so that a better person could assume the mantle of leadership.

Is a party revolt in the cards, especially after having won the race? It seems unlikely. We'll see.

Any minority won’t last.

Whoever takes over from that will likely get 4 years.

Think about what scenario you would prefer.

Back