• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

Trudeau concedes Tories could win, accuses them of running 'dirtiest' campaign ever

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau today conceded the Conservatives could win Monday's election — and accused the party of winning support by running one of the "dirtiest, nastiest" election campaigns in Canadian history.

Surrounded by 29 Quebec candidates at an event at Montreal's Botanical Garden Wednesday, Trudeau appealed to Quebecers to support his party and elect a progressive government rather than a "progressive opposition." It's a pitch he's been making a lot lately — a bid to beat down surging support for the NDP and Bloc Québécois by arguing that voting for those parties could help elect a Conservative government.

Asked about a report in The Globe and Mail about the Manning Centre refusing to disclose the source of donations to third parties for attack ads on the Liberals, Trudeau took the opportunity to take aim at Conservative tactics in the campaign.

Link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-liberal-accuses-conservatives-dirty-campaign-1.5322439

Oh the irony! Wait maybe hypocrisy ?  Perhaps both ? lol

[quote author=Halifax Tar]

Oh the irony! Wait maybe hypocrisy ?  Perhaps both ? lol
[/quote]

People went berserk over this guys socks. For him to blow that kind of fanaticism is really impressive.

‘Dirtiest, nastiest’ campaign from a guy half of Canadians still probably couldn’t pick out of a police line-up?  :not-again:

No, this is an accumulated, self-inflicted wound.

Regards

G2G

Remius said:
Now that would have most likely been the campaign team/PMO's call.  They made a decision to proceed, the RCMP makes security recommendations and acts accordingly.

Was the threat specific?  or general?  We don't know.  Sounds like it was very specific, enough to warrant those security measures.

If you cancel you might be playing into the hands of the guy/girl/group making the threats.  If you are confident about the security arrangements you take the risk and don't let yourself be bullied.  I guess.

I suppose my issue stems from the PM sending his family away because there was a threat, but the public not knowing about the threat. I get not releasing specifics, but I think it's wrong to place the public at risk just to make a "show of force".

Furniture said:
I suppose my issue stems from the PM sending his family away because there was a threat, but the public not knowing about the threat. I get not releasing specifics, but I think it's wrong to place the public at risk just to make a "show of force".

We also don't have the details.  What if the threat was "If I see you and your wife I'll..." or was it "If I can't get to you I can get to her or your kids at the event"

We don't have all the facts.  Maybe the RCMP recommended that they minimise the threat so they could focus on just him rather that two people.  These types of protective details in public spaces are complex.

Maybe the threat came from someone or some group that the RCMP are aware of already.

None of this is in a vacuum. 

But like everyone else not in though, I don't know what happened or how they decided to go ahead. We don't really know if there was a risk to the public.  The PM is a high risk individual.  More so for this one that has garnered celebrity status.  There will always be a risk when he goes out in public. 

Jarnhamar said:
Some pretty sound counter points.

Guess I figured if the PMO would try to intimidate and bully the attorney general into doing what the PMO wanted anything was possible.
But maybe it wasn't a conspiracy, this time :)

I'm just pretty pumped that it looks like I probably won't have my property confiscated.

Hey Jarnhamar, I am in the process of buying properties in the USA for rental investments.

If for whatever reason this ban does come in to affect. I will take one of my places off the market and use it to legally store my firearms south of the border.

Let me know if you need to rent a room.

Remius said:
We also don't have the details.  What if the threat was "If I see you and your wife I'll..." or was it "If I can't get to you I can get to her or your kids at the event"

We don't have all the facts.  Maybe the RCMP recommended that they minimise the threat so they could focus on just him rather that two people.  These types of protective details in public spaces are complex.

Maybe the threat came from someone or some group that the RCMP are aware of already.

None of this is in a vacuum. 

But like everyone else not in though, I don't know what happened or how they decided to go ahead. We don't really know if there was a risk to the public.  The PM is a high risk individual.  More so for this one that has garnered celebrity status.  There will always be a risk when he goes out in public. 

I have to agree with you, I have no issue with the PM protecting himself and his family and I doubt this is a conspiracy.  As much as I dislike his platform, some of his antics etc he is still our leader and deserves our protection as such, especially his family.

If I was in his position, I'd possibly do the same.. someone coming to kill me.. even without threats to my family.. get them the hell away. If it turns out to be credible or does happen or what not, why risk the family? Nothing is clean these days.

Abdullah

This was posted a short time ago on Twitter from Obama.  I'm curious to see if this will help Trudeau.  Elections Canada when asked has already said this is not interfer

I was proud to work with Justin Trudeau as President. He's a hard-working, effective leader who takes on big issues like climate change. The world needs his progressive leadership now, and I hope our neighbors to the north support him for another term.

I sincerely think United States of America’s President Obama is an intelligent man who did much good during his time in office. The guy that he’s suddenly endorsing in the last days of a foreign election, I can’t say the same: https://election.ctvnews.ca/mobile/obama-weighs-in-on-canada-s-federal-election-backs-trudeau-1.4641296

Usual caveats about info-machine statements, but this is what the CBC is now saying about their Team Blue litigation - and yes, other parties have been dinged in the past ...
... During the 2015 election campaign, several parties used CBC/Radio-Canada content, including footage of our journalists, in partisan advertising. We sent cease and desist letters to the Liberal Party and the NDP and they complied. When the Conservative Party and the Broadbent Institute* refused to comply with requests that they remove the material, we launched legal action against both organizations, on behalf of CBC/Radio-Canada and the specific journalists affected. Both organizations ultimately settled the court action by agreeing to remove the unauthorized material. Their settlement came after the ads had served their intended purpose and before the Court had issued its decision. Without a court ruling this left the door open to a repeat of that behaviour in this election ...
Lots more tea leaves to read @ link.

So, it's #TheySueTeamBlueAgain or #GoodForTheGooseWasGoodForTheGander - your pick  ;D

* - I colour these guys orange mainly because Broadbent used to be captain of Team Orange in a previous life.  Some might say they're orange, some might say red, but they sure ain't blue.

Cloud Cover said:
I sincerely think United States of America’s President Obama is an intelligent man who did much good during his time in office. The guy that he’s suddenly endorsing in the last days of a foreign election, I can’t say the same: https://election.ctvnews.ca/mobile/obama-weighs-in-on-canada-s-federal-election-backs-trudeau-1.4641296

The very fact he is endorsing someone like Trudeau only confirms my thoughts on him, his presidency, and his former hangers on.  But, yes I agree that he is intelligent.

stellarpanther said:
This was posted a short time ago on Twitter from Obama.  I'm curious to see if this will help Trudeau.  Elections Canada when asked has already said this is not interfer

I was proud to work with Justin Trudeau as President. He's a hard-working, effective leader who takes on big issues like climate change. The world needs his progressive leadership now, and I hope our neighbors to the north support him for another term.
Aaaaaaaaaand it didn't take The Beaverton long ...
"Update: Canadians lucky US Presidential endorsement of Canadian political leader didn’t involve drone strikes"

And here is one of the “hangers on” adding his support:

https://twitter.com/BruceAHeyman/status/1184532114831740928?s=20

We were talking about the election at work last night, and we hit upon a few demographics that seem to be overlooked by the analysts:

1. youth voters - now that MJ has been approved, is there anything on the table that will compel them to come out like they did last time?

2. swing voters - those that voted for JT in 2015, but may now be more likely to return to their traditional patterns;

3. blue liberals/red torries - those that find the prospect of a LPC - NDP minority too far left for their tastes; and

4. quiet conservatives - voters who are reluctant to reveal their allegiance, who are fearful of professional repercussions if they do so. The same "basket of deplorables" that came out in support of DT and turned the polls upside down.

stellarpanther said:
I can't believe I never heard of that site before... There's some funny stuff in there especially this one.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/10/putin-impressed-canadian-voters-dont-need-help-spreading-disinformation/

This one is pretty good too.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/09/trudeau-wondering-how-long-until-its-cool-for-him-to-do-blackface-again/

Just great to see Obama in the news. We're just missing Clinton.

ModlrMike said:
1. youth voters - now that MJ has been approved, is there anything on the table that will compel them to come out like they did last time?

According to Ipsos, of those "completely certain to vote", males 55+ take the lead at 82%.

Males 18-34 at 43% and females 18-34 at 48%.

Ipsos notes a "Significant Gender Gap in Voting Intentions Among Younger Canadians" as to which party they will be voting for,

Females 18-34 LPC 35%, NDP 27%, CPC 24%.

Males 18-34 LPC 35%, CPC 31%, NDP 16%
https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/Significant-Gender-Gap-in-Voting-Intentions-Among-Younger-Canadians

Edit to add

Dear young people, "Don't Vote" ( satire ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0e9guhV35o

Latest poll tracker is out and the Liberals see major drop in seat projection. 

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Note the NDP goes up almost a point per day.  If the trend continues they could be up 5 more points before the election is decided.  Might not translate to seats but it may split the vote even more in favour of the CPC.

[quote author=ModlrMike]

4. quiet conservatives - voters who are reluctant to reveal their allegiance, who are fearful of professional repercussions if they do so. The same "basket of deplorables" that came out in support of DT and turned to polls upside down.
[/quote]

This actually might be a significant number. The penchant to treat anyone conservative like they're some kind of racist Nazi might backfire and we see the deplorable-effect come election day.

Remius said:
Latest poll tracker is out and the Liberals see major drop in seat projection. 

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Note the NDP goes up almost a point per day.  If the trend continues they could be up 5 more points before the election is decided.  Might not translate to seats but it may split the vote even more in favour of the CPC.

Hmm.. the potential outcomes only add up to 99%.  I guess that means a 1% chance of Kang and Kodos invading and taking over.

At this point, I'm not sure that would be a bad thing...

avatars-000008236976-ihsxhg-t500x500.jpg

Back