• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

mariomike said:
If he lives in Ontario, the father may have had concerns about Team Blue's policy,
It's not perfect yet (what is, right?), but again, to be fair, at least the Premier has had second thoughts - let's see where that takes him.  I'm actually surprised at how he's cranked back at least some things, but I still worry about what's to come - fingers crossed.

milnews.ca said:
It's not perfect yet (what is, right?), but again, to be fair, at least the Premier has had second thoughts - let's see where that takes him.  I'm actually surprised at how he's cranked back at least some things, but I still worry about what's to come - fingers crossed.

Reminds me of Doug's days as a City councillor,  :)
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRAc1w0pQmKN6xyR-5dZAhwapA6AA%3A1571358756472&ei=JAipXea0HKTRxgPC9J6wCg&q=%22doug+ford%22+councillor+autism&oq=%22doug+ford%22+councillor+autism&gs_l=psy-ab.12..35i39.32636.35990..41002...0.0..0.180.356.0j2......0....1..gws-wiz.o2tG7tw7wNQ&ved=0ahUKEwjm1vnDx6TlAhWkqHEKHUK6B6YQ4dUDCAo#spf=1571358798168

Attachments

• 388canada-17oct2019.JPG
    388canada-17oct2019.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 388canada-SeatProj-regional-17oct2019.JPG
    388canada-SeatProj-regional-17oct2019.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 89
  • FedElectionProject-seats-16oct2019.JPG
    FedElectionProject-seats-16oct2019.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 87
Filed under big surprise.

CBC won't sue Liberals over partisan ad using their material

CBC says they won’t be suing a Liberal candidate or the Liberal Party for using CBC material in an online partisan ad even as they continue a lawsuit against the Conservatives for the same thing.

Nirmala Naidoo is the Liberal candidate in Calgary Skyview and a former reporter and anchor with CBC and Global Television in Calgary. In a video posted on Twitter, she relied heavily on CBC broadcast material to tell voters why they should back her in Monday’s election.

Though she did the exact same thing as the Conservatives, CBC is not suing Naidoo or her party.
The video had been up since September 12 before CBC sought to have it taken down just this week. In the case of the Conservatives using CBC material, the party says they complied with the request to remove the material before the lawsuit was launched.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/election-2019/cbc-wont-sue-liberals-over-partisan-ad-using-their-material?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1571336484

milnews.ca said:
My bad for dragging us into the provincial arena ...

Bringing it back to the national focus, here's the latest from 338canada.com and the Election Prediction Project (here's how they read the tea leaves) -- still big margins of error, but here's the latest bones that have been cast.

I actually don't care who wins anymore, but the parties are all completely inept and also clearly only care about nabbing cabinet positions for themselves if they don't demand the Liberals replace Trudeau in order to govern.... coalition or not.

The question about Autism actually reflects a broader issue in that the questioner clearly does not understand how Canada's government works. Questions about Healthcare should be directed to the Provincial government, as it is their jurisdiction.

Of course I have seen it elsewhere. At the 2019 all candidates meeting at King's College here in London, not one of the students asked any questions relating to federal responsibilities. The problem was compounded by the format (essentially 30 second answers) and most of the candidates actually answering these questions rather than enlightening the students that these were not things they could or would work on as MPs. Of course a lot of the Kings College staff were also there gazing approvingly at the results of their educational work....

In a previous election, a friend of mine was a candidate and I went with her on some canvassing, where the people at the door asked her if she was elected would she fix the pothole at the end of the street...

And in 2006, I made a run for Mayor of London (mostly to have a platform to make some points), and had to tackle the then Mayor because her primary campaign promise was to "stop Toronto garbage from being trucked to landfills in Michigan". You can imagine her reaction to my constantly dragging the discussion back to infrastructure and taxation.....

Jarnhamar said:
... CBC won't sue Liberals over partisan ad using their material ...
... because the candidate took down material the first time CBC asked ;)
Thucydides said:
And in 2006, I made a run for Mayor of London (mostly to have a platform to make some points), and had to tackle the then Mayor because her primary campaign promise was to "stop Toronto garbage from being trucked to landfills in Michigan". You can imagine her reaction to my constantly dragging the discussion back to infrastructure and taxation.....
Yup - after spending some time watching municipal politics and having to explain it to people in a previous life, I learned a lot of people think "government" is WAY more of a single "borg" than it really is.  Sometimes, though, different levels of government want to help with a problem they don't have direct control over, so they do what they can.  Some municipalities, for example, have set up teams to help attract doctors to underserviced areas, even though health is a generally a fed-regulates-prov-delivers kinda service.
Thucydides said:
The question about Autism actually reflects a broader issue in that the questioner clearly does not understand how Canada's government works. Questions about Healthcare should be directed to the Provincial government, as it is their jurisdiction.
The provinces deliver the services, but health is not exclusively their jurisdiction.  That's one of those "both levels have some role" federalism things, like labour, agriculture, transportation and the environment - notice there are both provincial and federal ministers in these areas. 

Some of the federal job is to set national standards to prevent tooooooooo much of a difference between different provinces.  Why are there not different standards, say, for pilots' medicals in different provinces?  Team Fed can do things like develop national strategies to cover things like diabetes, suicide prevention and mental health.  This explains why Team Blue, for example, wants to flesh out a national autism strategy

How useful are these strategies?  How good were the processes leading to these strategies?  Do we need national standards, rules or guidelines for X when the provinces know well enough what's needed on the ground?  All good topics for debate.  But is Canada "in the business" of some stuff that is also the business of provinces, including health?  Yup.

milnews.ca said:
... because the candidate took down material the first time CBC asked ;)

I thought the Conservatives did as well.

The video had been up since September 12 before CBC sought to have it taken down just this week. In the case of the Conservatives using CBC material, the party says they complied with the request to remove the material before the lawsuit was launched.

Thucydides said:

You, Sir, deserve a medal....  :nod:

I think this election cycle can best be described by some modern philosopher kings.

Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on

Jonezy76 said:
Interesting read.... It may happen next week.

Seems that a PM is PM until he/she resigns.

No, the party with the most seats doesn't always govern.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elections/no-the-party-with-the-most-seats-doesnt-always-govern/ar-AAIYqsX?ocid=spartanntp
Incumbent gets first crack ... more on that here ...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-trudeau-minority-government-2019-election-1.5324496
... and how it's unfolded in the past here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_minority_governments_in_Canada

So three scenarios for Monday.

1) Liberal minority with NDP support/coalition.  If this happens I expect that the government will last a while as long as NDP demands are met.  Singh may be in cabinet.  Heck they could even give them the environment file and let them deal with the provinces.  Pontis Pilate style.

2) Conservative minority.  Won't last.  Opposition parties will want to hit them early.  NDP won't work with them at all, Bloc won't agree to scrap the carbon tax.  Very hard to see how they will govern.

3) Conservative majority.  Might happen but unlikely.  Enough people need to come out of the wood work to surprise everyone, not sure Scheer ran  strong enough campaign for that.

We'll see Monday night. Butwill be a late one.  But with 5 million advance voters we might actually already have a good idea of where this is going.

Remius said:
So three scenarios for Monday.

1) Liberal minority with NDP support/coalition.  If this happens I expect that the government will last a while as long as NDP demands are met.  Singh may be in cabinet.  Heck they could even give them the environment file and let them deal with the provinces.  Pontis Pilate style.

2) Conservative minority.  Won't last.  Opposition parties will want to hit them early.  NDP won't work with them at all, Bloc won't agree to scrap the carbon tax.  Very hard to see how they will govern.

3) Conservative majority.  Might happen but unlikely.  Enough people need to come out of the wood work to surprise everyone, not sure Scheer ran  strong enough campaign for that.

We'll see Monday night. Butwill be a late one.  But with 5 million advance voters we might actually already have a good idea of where this is going.

Option 4 is looking increasingly appealing...

file-20180207-74479-1ragczb.jpg

Is Lord Vader running for office? At least his campaign is honest.

Together we can rule the galaxy.....

Jarnhamar said:
What's the alternative to providing a set amount of funding? Blank check perhaps?
I think you're missing the point of what I'm trying to say.  He flat out lied to this guys face instead of telling him the truth and then quickly took off before the media could question it.  I agree with what you are saying that no government can give out blank cheques and fund everything but at least have the courage and decency to say it instead of a flat out lie.  If I could find the clip to post on here I would.

I disagree with Trudeau saying we don't have the money to give the Veterans everything they are asking for right now, but at least he said it and didn't promise something that wasn't going to happen.

Back