• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

You're right I don't understand. Can you explain to me how he lied?

It looks like he said yes we will. And then someone in his party confirmed it would be 50 million over 5 years.

stellarpanther said:
... He flat out lied to this guys face instead of telling him the truth ...
What was the lie, and what was the truth?  Even I saw the same thing said twice ???

Retired AF Guy said:
E-Day - 2.  :pop:

This particular campaign cannot end soon enough for me...

Unfortunately, I think we will be back the polls by the Spring.

SeaKingTacco said:
This particular campaign cannot end soon enough for me...

Unfortunately, I think we will be back the polls by the Spring.

Conservative convention is in April.  They will likely be picking a leader at that point.  So maybe 18 months from now?

Jarnhamar said:
You're right I don't understand. Can you explain to me how he lied?

It looks like he said yes we will. And then someone in his party confirmed it would be 50 million over 5 years.
Specifically, the commitment Scheer made to this father was that he would negotiate full treatment with the provinces but that isn't what is actually going to happen if he is elected.  The Party clarified later that there plan is to spend fifty million towards developing a national strategy.  While that's something, it's not the same as funding treatment.  Scheer was very clear what he said.  He clearly said treatment.  Watch the video about 43 seconds in and you will see and hear him commit to treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Cxr-FTfyU

stellarpanther said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Cxr-FTfyU
Thanks for the video - seen.  A promise to negotiate with the provinces for full treatment =/= money for a strategy/framework.

Glass-half-empty:  He committed to something "the book" didn't say, so it's not going to happen.

Glass-half-full:  Gotcha!  If he gets elected and doesn't do it, this'll be the clip parents of kids on the spectrum'll be playing over and over again.

Glass tipped over sideways, empty of liquid: Ooops! I made a Boo Boo. I said I would respect provincial jurisdiction ... which this is.

[:-[

I am with SKT on this one: Can't wait t'ill it's over. I don't think I recall an electoral campaign as boring and devoid of factual issues as this one since the Clark = Trudeau (Sr.) one that gave us a minority Tory government.

stellarpanther said:
Specifically, the commitment Scheer made to this father was that he would negotiate full treatment with the provinces but that isn't what is actually going to happen if he is elected. 
I see what you mean.. Thanks for explaining.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Glass tipped over sideways, empty of liquid: Ooops! I made a Boo Boo. I said I would respect provincial jurisdiction ... which this is.
If this really is JUST provincial jurisdiction, if Team Blue wins, I look forward to their getting rid of the federal ministry of health, then - lotsa money to be saved there.  Hell, transport, agriculture, labour - shut 'em all down.  Fewer bureaucrats, smaller government, eliminated redundancy, fewer cabinet ministers needed, all in one fell swoop! ;D
Oldgateboatdriver said:
... Can't wait t'ill it's over. I don't think I recall an electoral campaign as boring and devoid of factual issues as this one since the Clark = Trudeau (Sr.) one that gave us a minority Tory government.
:nod: And I suspect the shrillness will only get worse down the line  :(

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I am with SKT on this one: Can't wait t'ill it's over. I don't think I recall an electoral campaign as boring and devoid of factual issues as this one since the Clark = Trudeau (Sr.) one that gave us a minority Tory government.

This is like a Seinfeld election - it is about nothing. 

We get to chose between two uninspiring and unimpressive individuals, who represent parties with very few differences of substance, and even fewer talents of substance, neither of whom have a clue how to govern, or have the stomach to make hard choices. 

Having said that, on 22 Oct Canada will still be Canada, resilient, predictable and boring as ever.

PPCLI Guy said:
Having said that, on 22 Oct Canada will still be Canada, resilient, predictable and boring as ever.

That's a good thing, right?  I'd rather it not be a choice of "good" vs "complete dumpster fire".

Interesting.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/scheer-won-t-say-if-conservatives-hired-consultant-to-destroy-people-s-party-1.4646062

Remius said:
Interesting.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/scheer-won-t-say-if-conservatives-hired-consultant-to-destroy-people-s-party-1.4646062

No actual proof. Some guy said something.

Realistically, isn't this what the Liberals were doing anyways? Targeting the Tories and PPC as racists and climate haters? Colour me surprised that a political party would target another political party with partisan spin on their message.

The Liberals legitimately hired Gerald Butts who tried to tie Andrew Scheer to the yellow vests movement because he had a picture taken with a construction worker, but there's no big story being run about that. I guess its about the narrative the journalists want you to hear.

PuckChaser said:
:sarcasm: Good point - it can't possibly be true unless Twitter & FB are being overwhelmed with different people sharing, resharing & amplifying the "some guy said something.":sarcasm:

#SadStateOfAffairsOfPoliticsToday  :'(

PuckChaser said:

Realistically, isn't this what the Liberals were doing anyways? Targeting the Tories and PPC as racists and climate haters? Colour me surprised that a political party would target another political party with partisan spin on their message.

The Liberals legitimately hired Gerald Butts who tried to tie Andrew Scheer to the yellow vests movement because he had a picture taken with a construction worker, but there's no big story being run about that. I guess its about the narrative the journalists want you to hear.

Given that it is Warren Kinsella they hired I find it interesting.  They had to get a liberal to do it  ;D

Dimsum said:
That's a good thing, right?  I'd rather it not be a choice of "good" vs "complete dumpster fire".

It is great thing, and one of the reasons this country is a great place to live, without being a "Great" country

Trudeau: guns in Canada will never be confiscated.

https://youtu.be/FDCgk-ToyY4

Andrew Coyne gives a scathing but fairly accurate picture of this election.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/andrew-coyne-cant-the-liberals-and-conservatives-both-lose?video_autoplay=true

Back