• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Going back to St Jean

as you can see, I'm having a good day today :) 

once again - thanks for thinking of me

Lil_T:

NO PROBS!! Feel free to drop by any time!

Cheers,

tango22a

:D

I WALKED!!!!!!!!!  I actually walked around my bedroom.  No pain - it just felt weird.

**little update**

at physio today my therapist tells me she's "really impressed" with my progress, even from my last visit to today.  She must be telling the truth, because she kept saying it over and over again.  She also told me that we can "really start working" once I see my orthopedist next week depending on what he gives me the green light on.  I'm excited because she told me that she doesn't think she's going to have to push me to work at all.  In fact, she said that she thinks she'll have to get me to slow down, and that the only thing I'm really going to need her for is muscle building/ strengthening. 

Needless to say, I'm more than a little thrilled at those statements.  Once I build my knee up a little more, I'll be ready to start adding more weight.  I already carry about an extra 15 pound on my back in my backpack.  I've been walking more and more without the crutches, but I'm taking it easy too.  Once I can lift and carry my 13 year old again fireman carry style I'll know I'm ready since he now weighs more than I do.    If I progress like I have been - I very well could be back on platoon the end of February (possibly with my old staff too)

couldn't help but notice a tan army.ca t-shirt meandering around the physio room too.  that sort of thing just sticks out.  Yeah I know that was random... :p  just thought I'd throw that out.

Greetings from sunny Saint Jean Sur Richelieu!  Just popping on before I go pick up supper.  had my appointment with my orthopedic surgeon today.  'twas awesome!!!!!!!  My leg is healing fantastically well.  He said it looks great and *drumroll*  I can get rid of my crutches tomorrow at the MIR and trade 'em in for a cane!  I am THRILLED!!!  sorry for the excessive use of exclamation points, I'm just ridiculously happy.  He also said that come my next appointment in January, I should be "fit/full duties" (I get the feeling that he treats a lot of military folk) depending on if my pain is gone, and if my leg can tolerate the extra weight.  Oh my God I'm so excited!  I really could be back on platoon by end February.  WOW.

Now, I'm also taking a wait and see with what the MIR folk say, as well as my care provider back in O-town. BUT - I am optimistic.  This news has just totally buoyed my spirits.  I have the green light to let the physiotherapist torture me as much as she wants to.  I can't wait.  Now, I just have to make it through BMQ without breaking again.  Back to early morning pushups etc again.  yay!!  I <3 my ortho, he rocks!!

Good luck with your recovery Lil_T, a girl from my section broke her leg on the first obstacle we did during the week 2 obs crse PT. It was raining and we did the monkey bars first. Hopefully things go really well for you and you will get your fit chit in Jan :)

Oh yuck Boyd, I'm sorry to hear that.  That's a really shitty deal.  How bad a break was it?  Sorry..... morbid curiosity

While I'm here I may as well update.  I'm walking (limping - mind) full time now.  I have a cane, but I only use it in the slippery spots outside.  I can be seen hobbling around downtown Ottawa usually holding the darn thing, but not actually using it.  Physio is going well - go back after the new year.  I'm well armed though with a ton of exercises to do, so I'm not slacking.  Apparently I am leaps and bounds ahead of where I should be at 9 weeks post op.  Still have some pain and occasional swelling, but the pain is mainly due to the surgery and having 4 screws in my leg plus the IM rod.  Same goes for the swelling.  From the research I've done, most people are just starting to weight bear at the stage I'm at, and here I am almost full weight bearing.  So far, though, I am navigating the stairs better, can actually walk at a normal pace, and can do some drill (yeah, that's right, I practiced). Still have a slow start in the mornings, sometimes the leg will stall, but all in all, I'm happy with my progress to date.

*geez - don't want to sound like I'm bragging. I'm not, I just never had anything to compare it to so I didn't get why everyone was so impressed*

JBoyd said:
Good luck with your recovery Lil_T, a girl from my section broke her leg on the first obstacle we did during the week 2 obs crse PT. It was raining and we did the monkey bars first. Hopefully things go really well for you and you will get your fit chit in Jan :)

We had a nickname for the obstacle course: "Career Ender."
We lost one from our platoon to a broken wrist and almost lost another to head trauma, you have to be real careful on the damn thing, or it will destroy you...  >:D

Lil_T said:
Oh yuck Boyd, I'm sorry to hear that.  That's a really shitty deal.  How bad a break was it?  Sorry..... morbid curiosity

Not entirely sure of how bad the break is/was, but I do know they gave her 8 weeks ETA until she could properly walk again (not sure if this was just an ETA on walking, or if it was for a full recovery). The break happened about 3 weeks ago now, and a week ago she was off her crutches and hobbling along without a cane even (shes one stubborn woman lol). Our staff is being favourable in regards to how many classes she has missed, so she has the 3 week Christmas LTA to get better, well enough to get a fit chit within 2 or 3 days of returning to Saint Jean.

I remember falling off the fireman's ladder in RFT, and landing right on my tailbone.  Luckily it wasn't serious.  Bruised but not broken.  It hurt to do simple things like sit-ups.  I loaded myself up with painkillers, and muscle relaxers just to make it through the next express test.  After that fall, I was scared to do it again once I got back on course, but with some "gentle" prodding from the various instructors, I managed my way through it.  I found it the most challenging obstacle course yet, even the one we were allowed to run through in BIQ, as part of CQC week wasn't as challenging, but then again, half the obstacles we didn't do.

MSEng314 said:
We had a nickname for the obstacle course: "Career Ender."
We lost one from our platoon to a broken wrist and almost lost another to head trauma, you have to be real careful on the damn thing, or it will destroy you...  >:D

No kidding. I was lucky not to have broken anything after a nasty fall from the monkey bars. One guy on our platoon dislocated a hip, another a knee, and one cracked his ribs (and hid the injury for weeks until going to MIR for something else and getting X-Rayed...the MO was surprised to see multiple fractures, not what they were even looking for). On one of the other platoons, a guy fell off the Rope of Death and landed on his rifle. I still cringe when I think about that one.

I remember the first time we went to the so-called Confidence Course. Most people on our platoon were so excited, high-fives all around. The next couple of times, a little more subdued, but still feeling positive about it. The last time...NO ONE wanted to go. Everyone knew by then that this was not just fun and games, it was a possible career ender, as you said above. That was the day I got injured. Some of my platoon mates told me later on that they were p***ed when they saw me fall because they knew someone was going to get hurt so close to grad if we did the course. I had a lot of pain and swelling from my injury, but no fracture showed up on the X-ray thank heavens so with many a painkiller and a lot of stubbornness, I finished the last 2 weeks of course and graduated. So many candidates get recoursed or released, though, due to injuries on course. Many of them come from falling off these obstacles. It is just insane, really.

I just wish that standards would see what is happening with these trips to the Confidence Courses on basic. The very least they could do is minimize the number of times platoons go through and keep them off it altogether in the final weeks of the course. JMHO.  :p

Seriously?  Lucky bitch. I'd give my first born to be back on platoon.

Celticgirl said:
I just wish that standards would see what is happening with these trips to the Confidence Courses on basic. The very least they could do is minimize the number of times platoons go through and keep them off it altogether in the final weeks of the course. JMHO.  :p

Pah-leeze.. The obstacle course is not that drastic. A minimal amount of fitness and athleticism is required to complete it. Without things like the obstacle course, BFTs, etc, how is the CF gonna weed out the dead plugs? This is still the military, there's a reason not everybody makes it through, they can't just take anybody. Why should the CF lower its standards to accommodate them? They signed up for the CF, not the other way around.

Indeed ballz; CLEARLY the standards are low enough.

I believe the point Celticgirl was trying to make was that in the last week or so, when we're SO close to graduation, why do something to risk injury?  While the point of BMQ is to turn civillians into soldiers, sailors, and airmen - its purpose is not to break us before we can begin and I've seen way too many people injured on the obstacle course to take it as lightly as you seem to.

See attached pics of the leg.  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=337015&id=667430649&l=73ee43afa9

George, I will surely not take his comments to heart.  I am working past my own issues, I just hate to see others make light of something that I've seen first hand destroy careers in a single day.

Lil_T said:
Indeed ballz; CLEARLY the standards are low enough.

I believe the point Celticgirl was trying to make was that in the last week or so, when we're SO close to graduation, why do something to risk injury?  While the point of BMQ is to turn civillians into soldiers, sailors, and airmen - its purpose is not to break us before we can begin and I've seen way too many people injured on the obstacle course to take it as lightly as you seem to.

Indeed.

Don't be offended by ballz comments.  ballz is still in the Training System and still has the opportunity to experience the heartache of a Medical RTU a few days prior to a graduation. 

Why is it that all the newbies in training seem to have all the answers?

Thank you VERY much MM.  I am doing the best I can.  Having a sore day today, but still determined (if just a little nervous) to return to duty.

Back