• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

good 22LR pistol

rz350

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm just getting my PAL, and looking to buy a first pistol. I want a 22LR Semi-automatic. I'm pretty much just asking for reconmendations on a resonably low price, resonably reliable/easy to use (i.e. not too picky about ammo brand) 22LR semi auto pistol that is Canada Legal. (105mm long barrel or longer) I'm leaning towards the P22 and the Sig Mosquitoe, but though I would ask to see what others think is a good pistol.

You gotta love the prices at Marstar, especially their Norinco series. I can't speak for the quality but from the reviews I've read on Canadian Gun Nutz forum the quality of Norinco firearms depends on the actual firearm. I got my pal in the summer and considered buying a 22 rifle but with my ct to the reg force buying a gun will have to sit on the shelf for a while.

Thanks! that gun looks like a great deal and a great gun for a first one. I think I'll probably go with it.

I've used these in the past and they are very reliable and fun to shoot.  As for Cdn pricing I haven't a clue but it is an option for you.
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Pistol&subtype=Rimfire%20Autoloading&famlst=55
Cheers

I'm usually not a fan of Norinco (both quality and the idea of funding a communist gov't) -- but I have seen friends with the Colt Woodsman copy - and it is a great deal.

get the Walther P22. GOod solid reliable pistol that I want :) fairly inexpensive too :D

I have a Norc 870 shotgun clone with a 14" barrel. The price is right and the quality is very good. No problems with it at all. Marstar is great to deal with.

Be warry of the Walther P22 -- I found the grip is way to small except for those with baby hands -- and that includes an attempt to build it up with hockey tape.

Thats too bad, it looks like such a nice gun. I think I'm stick to the Norc for now, and cut my pistol teeth, before maybe moving up to some kind of 9mm.

Your other option is keeping your eyes open in some of the smaller town papers and some of the shooting range bulletin boards. Allot of people as with many other ventures start small and progress up. Several good deals on "starter" pistols are around to be found with a little effort spent on research, there is also a growing contingent getting out of the recreational shooting and are liquidating( was looking at an original mint broom handle last week.) Next find a range or shooting club and follow the old used car maximum "try before you buy". I started the daughter off with nine mil and lower grained ammo rather than going the .22 route. Saved me from constantly up grading as she grew and simplified ammo purchase. As with others here though I do like the Woodsman, though somewhat leary of off shore knock offs.

recceguy said:
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/22-M-93.shtm

Copy of the Colt Woodsman. Accurate, well made and cheap ($150.00). Good service and 1 year guarantee. Delivered right to your door by Canada Post. No need for a transport permit to pick it up. Win, win, win.

I have put around 6,000 rds through mine with little problems, some of the pistols are cranky, the mag lips are prone to bending if improperly used, each round should drop in, don't force it. The next step up are the Rugers which are very nice pistols, going for at least $375 for the basic one. Try Canadiangunnutz board for private sales.

I have owned both the Colt Woodsman (not copy) and the Ruger. The Woodsman sights are on the slide and the barrel which is inherently  inacurate, were as the Ruger sights are on a solid plane ,much better.Feeding problems are much less with the Ruger . Remember one thing , the Colt was designed in the late 30s and the Ruger in the early 50s. Duker

Old RCEME said:
I have owned both the Colt Woodsman (not copy) and the Ruger. The Woodsman sights are on the slide and the barrel which is inherently  inacurate, were as the Ruger sights are on a solid plane ,much better.Feeding problems are much less with the Ruger . Remember one thing , the Colt was designed in the late 30s and the Ruger in the early 50s. Duker

I beg to differ - I have a 6"Colt Match Target Woodsman and it will shoot as well as, and often times better than, any of my 3 Ruger Target pistols (all 6 7/8" tapered).  So long as the slide returns to battery consistently the pistol will shoot better than you can.

The QC on the Norinco Woodsman copy (M-93) is spotty at best.  I have had 2 now.  The first was returned because I couldn't get it to feed anything (literally) for more than 4-5 rds in a row.  It would not feed an entire magazine once out of about 300 rds.  Frustration finally won out and I returned it.  The one I recently received as a replacement has been much better.  It took about 300 rds for it to settle in, but initially only jammed about once out of ever 3 or 4 mags.  It's been reliable for the past 250 or so.

Incidentally, the Woodsman was designed prior to WW1 - I have a 6" barreled specimen marked "Colt's .22 Automatic Pistol" manufactured in 1913.  Still reliable and accurate, but only fed standard velocity ammo...

Norcino quality is getting better all of the time. My new Commander is a very nice pistol indeed, having seen some early imports you can see the rise in QC and finish.

Key words(So long as the slide returns to battery consistently)You have a Match Target Woodsman,and 2 Norinco Knock offs ????????????????. Duker

Colin P said:
Norcino quality is getting better all of the time. My new Commander is a very nice pistol indeed, having seen some early imports you can see the rise in QC and finish.

ColinP - I concur wholeheartedly.  The second one that I got was MUCH nicer than the first.

Duker - I have 1 x 6" Match Target Woodsman (3rd Model), 1 x 6" Target Woodsman (First Model), 1 x 4.5" Sport Model Woodsman (2nd Model) and 1 x 6" (Pre-Woodsman) Colt's .22 Automatic Pistol... oh yeah, and only 1 Norinco M93 (I sent the 1st one back)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have a sickness that consists of an irrestistable urge to give old pistols a good, caring and supportive home... ;)

blake

Most Norincos can shoot better than most of their owners. Anyone contemplating serious competition will know what to buy and purchase accordingly. For someone just starting out, the Norinco is fine. It's price pays off in all that extra ammo you can buy and practice with. In the end it works out to what you can afford and are happy with. My Norinco shoots better than the last three Rugers I had in my hands. I see no need to change. I'm not a 'brand whore'. If the tool does the job, I'll buy it at Princess Auto, I don't need a national brand bought at a fancy tool shop to get the job done.

Talk to Gunnar at Armco Guns, www.armco-guns.com he sells slicked up Norinco M-93s for $189.  He does excellent work and its well worth having him tune up your pistol a bit.

Planes

I_Drive_Planes said:
Talk to Gunnar at Armco Guns, www.armco-guns.com he sells slicked up Norinco M-93s for $189.  He does excellent work and its well worth having him tune up your pistol a bit.

Planes

Any idea what it is exactly that he does??

bg

Back