• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
Anyone tracking the situation in Israel right now WRT some troops being investigated/in custody for prisoner abuse, and essentially a mob of civilians/militia/fringe politicians trying to force their way in to free them? Sounds like a real mess brewing that could have a number of implications… I just got home and am not well caught up yet.

Anyone tracking the situation in Israel right now WRT some troops being investigated/in custody for prisoner abuse, and essentially a mob of civilians/militia/fringe politicians trying to force their way in to free them? Sounds like a real mess brewing that could have a number of implications… I just got home and am not well caught up yet.
Holy crap.

Abu Ghraib West?
Abu Ghraib had a large burial area beside it for all the prisoners there that died while being tortured by Saddam's thugs. As upsetting as what those US idiots did, it was nothing to what Saddam did there for a generation. Funny how few people care about that bit.

After the torture, rape and hostage taking, plus the constant attacks. I would be surprised if they didn't have any discipline problems. Canadian troops were no saints in WWI or WWII either.

Abu Ghraib had a large burial area beside it for all the prisoners there that died while being tortured by Saddam's thugs. As upsetting as what those US idiots did, it was nothing to what Saddam did there for a generation. Funny how few people care about that bit.

Sorry, what? Yeah, obviously Saddam was horrendous. That’s completely irrelevant to abuses of prisoners by other countries that hold themselves to a higher standard. What happened in Abu Ghraib under American control was awful, independent of any other comparator. It sounds like other awful stuff may have been happening at this Israeli facility, and the Israeli military still has a lot of ethical professionals who aren’t OK with that. Sounds like the Israelis may have had a problem that’s now blowing up in their face. This is not a distraction they need, nor do they need the discipline and professionalism of their troops called into question.

If I read the back story of these troops under investigation, they are from a right wing religious sect that was previously exempt from IDF service mostly because they are inbred radical religious nut jobs who don’t or won’t answer to any other code. Same with the dick heads trying to bust them out.

If I read the back story of these troops under investigation, they are from a right wing religious sect that was previously exempt from IDF service mostly because they are inbred radical religious nut jobs who don’t or won’t answer to any other code. Same with the dick heads trying to bust them out.
They very recently made some changes regarding some of the ultra orthodox being subject to service, but no way any of them could have been in a position to do this yet. What have you seen about where the troops are from?

They very recently made some changes regarding some of the ultra orthodox being subject to service, but no way any of them could have been in a position to do this yet. What have you seen about where the troops are from?
No, not those ones. Smotrich (leader of the NRP- RZ) was there to help bust the gate open and wanted “his men” set free. This is the same guy who doesn’t think it’s a crime for a West Bank settler to kill a Palestinian or even kill a Palestinian family to take their home for a settlement. He was (or is) the Minister of Finance. 😡 So somehow a few of those who follow that brand and serve under the Hesder concept ended up having some control over prisoners.

No, not those ones. Smotrich (leader of the NRP- RZ) was there to help bust the gate open and wanted “his men” set free. This is the same guy who doesn’t think it’s a crime for a West Bank settler to kill a Palestinian or even kill a Palestinian family to take their home for a settlement. He was (or is) the Minister of Finance. 😡 So somehow a few of those who follow that brand and serve under the Hesder concept ended up having some control over prisoners.
Does Israel do military units that are homogenous on sectarian lines? I could see that being a huge problem if so.

Further thought- does the potential loss of support of that party threaten the always tenuous stability of the current coalition in Israel’s government? Like, is this thing brewing up over a few troops going way outside of their arcs potentially a threat to the government’s ability to function?

No idea. Most of the orthodox go into combat arms but apparently they haven’t much desire to have contact with non-Jews. It stinks like the Waffen SS TBH.

I think the IDF tried to do ethnoreligious. Apparently the DRB was meant to be a Bedouin (tribal) unit, but there are Druze and Christian members, and I think even a few Pallys. It numbers about 1500 all ranks.

They’re no better than the ones they are fighting against

this is a good cole's notes form Twitter of what happened:

"A Terrorist being held at Sde Teiman Detention Facility in Southern Israel was recently transported to Hospital in Rough Shape, where it was found he had been Sexually Assault with several Blunt Objects requiring Rectal Surgery in order to Repair the Damage and Internal Bleeding. An Investigation was launched by the IDF who found after Interviewing several Soldiers at the Facility, that a Group of 10 Reservist Soldiers had committed the Assault or had participated in the Action some other way. Israeli Military Police went to the Facilty to Arrest the Soldiers, leading to a Protest and Small Riot involving Far-Right Politicians and Demonstrators, but eventually the MPs were able to get the Reservists to Beit Lid Military Base to the North of Tel Aviv for Detainment and Questioning. After this, the Far-Right Groups went to Beit Lid and eventually Stormed the Base and Military Court Complex attempting to Free the Reservists who they feel had been Wrongly Accused."

Yeah, hard to keep the moral high ground after that.
Not really the IDF investigated it, and arrested the culprits. Unlike Hamas they didn’t celebrate it.
The question will be how the rest of Israeli society reacts to this.
The question is more what the IDF will do to the guilty. That to me will be the true litmus test.

Not really the IDF investigated it, and arrested the culprits. Unlike Hamas they didn’t celebrate it.

The question is more what the IDF will do to the guilty. That to me will be the true litmus test.
True, but that situation is a PR boon to Hamas and any anti-IDF organizations out there.

Back