• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harriers for Navy/Air Force

Ex-Dragoon said:
Not to mention that the flight decks are not designed to take the abuse of the thrust a V/STOL jet would produce landing and taking off.

Due to a serious shortage of OD's, there will be no more scuffing and burning of paint aboardship. From this point  forward all launch and recovery operations will be conducted using giant elastic bands.   In addition, neither the CP-140 and the Herc will no longer be stored in the hangar since this would impair the nigthly volleyball tourney.

whiskey601 said:
Due to a serious shortage of OD's, there will be no more scuffing and burning of paint aboardship. From this point  forward all launch and recovery operations will be conducted using using giant elastic bands.   In addition, neither the CP-140 and the Herc will no longer be stored in the hangar since this would impair the nigthly volleyball tourney.

Thank heavens...i wasnt looking forward to spending RIMPAC onboard ship........a hotel will do nicely    ;D

FoverF said:
Yes, we've already established that I should have said that the F-22 and F-35 were both designed from the beginning to be ELINT platforms, not ESM platforms. My terminology was off there.

NO, they were designed from the begining to be FIGHTERS....everything else was designed to help it do that or as secondary capabilities. Notice how the projects were called "Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF)" for the F/A-22 and "Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)" for the F-35. 

That being said, dedicated variants may well come in the future for either platforms as requirements develop.

I read this whole thread and now have a greater understanding of the ESM spectrum and the JSF program, but what happened to the Harrier concept ? Besides it being an aging fighter with no endurance, the concept would be in the ballpark for the Canadian Politician to chose a platform that makes no sense for the Military, (providing it was built in Quebec by Bombardier) yet if it was ever to happen the personnel would just make do as we have always done.

Back