• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heathen hunting: Tyrbold award

mainerjohnthomas

Inactive
Reaction score
The Heathen Freehold Society of BC is seeking nominees for the Tyrbold award, which is given to a heathen that has distinguished themselves for courage as demonstrated by service in an active theater in the service of their nation.  I know that it was not a subject generally discussed when I was in the service, but I also know that I was not the only Heathen who served in the CF.  If you are, or know of a heathen who has or is currently serving in any of our favorite CF vacation spots (ie A'stan), please reply or pm me.

"Country is full of them, mate.  They're ALL bloody heathens over there, aren't they?"

"The wogs start at the channel, mate."

;D

Edited to point out the obvious use of working class fish and chips counter-progressive social attitude.

What qualifies someone as a "heathen"?

More like a lack of a qualification, if you aks me.

;D

Tom

Heathens is typically used to refer to the Asatru, or Norse Pagans (like the Vikings), but encompasses all of the ancestral religions of Northern Europe from the Angles and Saxons of England, to the Russ that gave Russia its name (and blonds for that matter).  Many followers of the Gaelic traditions also qualify, as their ancient practices and ours had many common roots and crossovers.  You find a lot of us in the service, as the virtues of our faith are those of a warrior; Valhalla is not a goal for the faint of heart.

I am from Roman roots so I guess that cuts me out, must have been the wine.

Somehow i don't qualify,

But I'd still like to be nominated!!!  ;D ;D

"the virtues of our faith are those of a warrior"

"I am from Roman roots so I guess that cuts me out"

Don't feel so bad ....your (our) ancestors were great warriors too!

veni vidi vici    ;D

3rd Horseman said:
I am from Roman roots so I guess that cuts me out, must have been the wine.
    The pagan ethics of the Roman republic made for excellent soldiers.  The ambition, discipline, drive and courage of the Republican soldier made Rome the master of her world, but hard to control.  Christianity and the demilitarizing of the Roman citizens made for a peaceful Roman Empire that had to hire outland mercenaries to defend it; until they decided to smash it, and loot the pieces.  Roman roots are worth taking pride in.

"The ambition, discipline, drive and courage of the Republican soldier..."

Over time as Rome increasingly depended on foreign auxiliaries and mercenaries to fill their ranks, these aforementioned qualities began to diminish in the character of the soldiers of the Roman army. Although this was probably the case  in Imperial times I believe, due to the fact that many of these "foreign" warriors, (although probably Roman citizens from outlying provinces) didn't have the emotional attachment to the Eternal City herself. I guess you could say they enjoyed Roman rights, (not all , but probably a substantial amount) but were not really Roman.

"a peaceful Roman Empire that had to hire outland mercenaries to defend it..."

Around the time the Republic had fallen, Romans had become corrupt with luxury and the so called easy life. Traditional qualities of the Romans (sacrifice, hardwork, efficiency, discipline etc.) became less evident in society. Seeing as how the Romans had a tendency to absorb cultures they have taken over, they were becoming un-Roman. The strictness and toughness of early Roman life, gave way to a life more akin to luxury, decadence, corruption, as well as foreign ideas and philosophies.  Military service was no longer a priority for many citizens,  as it was in earlier times.

Kind of like here in North America ;)

Back