• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Calgary CO & XO Relieved Of Duty- January 2020

<anal style guide derail>
FSTO said:
All the Canadian media use the abbreviation Cmdr for Commander. I have no idea why they don't use the abbreviation we use in the CAF.
Likely The Canadian Press style guide says so.  Mind you, if we follow the letter of the GoC style guide, DND/CF writers should use "Cdr" and in my non-military government job, I should be writing "Cmdr."
</anal style guide derail>

FSTO said:
All the Canadian media use the abbreviation Cmdr for Commander. I have no idea why they don't use the abbreviation we use in the CAF.

It is because they use the nationally agreed upon reference put out by Dundurn Press in co-operation with Government Services Canada: "The Canadian Style, A Guide to Writing and Editing". Section 1.07 provides the abbreviations for ranks, and is split into two columns: DND and non-DND abbreviations.

The non-DND abreviation for Commander is Cmdr. For Commodore, no abbreviation is allowed for non-DND.

I wonder if the CO is being pilloried to avoid exposing systemic issues in manning and training?

Colin P said:
I wonder if the CO is being pilloried to avoid exposing systemic issues in manning and training?

That would never happen.

What ever happened to Paul Morneault, anyways?

Passed away in 2018 https://ottawacitizen.remembering.ca/obituary/paul-emile-morneault-1071967215

Lumber said:
And here's the lower deck's (I think) reaction to all of this (make sure you listen at least until 1:37):

"Smokin in the Wardroom"
https://youtu.be/qETCdg30tm8

This guy is a hero!

Edit:

So the brass are supposedly peeved off and put an APB out for this individual.  I don't really think that's the right reaction tbh.

Rather, they should acknowledge that they need to do better.

That was a pretty funny song, but was still expecting a satirical cover set to some Motley Crue.

Can't see going after the guy helping anything; even if he is in the Navy, he doesn't show his face or otherwise identify himself, so pretty dumb. Didn't say anything that wasn't public knowledge.

Navy_Pete said:
That was a pretty funny song, but was still expecting a satirical cover set to some Motley Crue.

Can't see going after the guy helping anything; even if he is in the Navy, he doesn't show his face or otherwise identify himself, so pretty dumb. Didn't say anything that wasn't public knowledge.

I think it's the wrong approach as well.  Could have been a good opportunity to double down on the decision to remove the Comd Tm.  Why do we employ PAOs again?

Humphrey Bogart said:
So the brass are supposedly peeved off and put an APB out for this individual.  I don't really think that's the right reaction tbh.

I expected as much and was going to post earlier that I'm sure CFNIS has been launched.

I have to wonder if the Politically Correct stuff is getting people to wound up, resulting in them not GAFing anymore. Does anyone get a place to smoke that is somewhat decent and as I understand it they have curtailed drinking aboard quite a bit. With no place to relieve stress people do oddball things. Coupled with the tempo they are likley under and all the stupidity that bureaucracy can throw at them. I wonder if this is the appropriate way to punish the two officer, i suspect we can't really afford to throw away those years of experience and unless they have had problematic careers, one needs to ask why the XO suddenly stop GAFing?

Now for going after the singer, that is stupid at so many levels, let it go and it will die a natural death.

Jarnhamar said:
I expected as much and was going to post earlier that I'm sure CFNIS has been launched.

And what an absolute waste of police resources that would be.

Someone would be seriously butt-hurt enough by this to investigate? ?  If so that person (s) need to call it a career and move back to Mommies basement.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Someone would be seriously butt-hurt enough by this to investigate? ?  If so that person (s) need to call it a career and move back to Mommies basement.

Amen! 

Humphrey Bogart said:
And what an absolute waste of police resources that would be.

They'll find something to charge him over. I've heard the Navy already sent out emails about it- wonder if that's accurate.

Jarnhamar said:
They'll find something to charge him over. I've heard the Navy already sent out emails about it- wonder if that's accurate.

Well, that's right up there with No. 1 Field Punishment  :facepalm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_punishment

Jarnhamar said:
I doubt it; we can't get them to take stuff that is clearly within their mandate, they aren't going after some OS strumming in his basement who is now youTube famous. If they call MPU Esquimalt, I hope they have the fortitude to tell them to go away as well.

Back