• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Home Equity Assistance & "Military Families Pushed to Financial Ruin" (Merge)

Have you applied for 100% HEA out of Core and been denied?

• Yes. No further action taken.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes. But I was told applying for it was futile.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Yes. I am currently grieving the decision.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Yes. My grievance is at the CDS.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No. I have not applied for 100% HEA out of core.

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • No. (I have 100% HEA out of Core awarded).

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No. I was dissuaded from selling/moving/posting due to large home equity loss.

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters
Ombudsman is now on this:  http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/military+ombudsman+says+must+rethink+relocation+policies+thousands/7890233/story.html

Reference: podcast of the Standing Committee of National Defence  http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Parlvu/TimeBandit/PowerBrowser_SilverLight.aspx?ContentEntityId=9952&EssenceFormatID=699&date=20130130&lang=en&taid=6

If you have a grievance in the works at the CDS level, you need to listen to the podcast at ref.  In the meeting, it was announced that there is a Privy Council Report authorizing spending authority for the CDS which COULD be used to payout grievances. 

Unfortunately, for all those who have fought the fight, there is no indication that this will be considered retroactively for those who the CDS could not provide relief for previously. The MND eluded to an appeal process, in the case for those denied HCA claimants, looks like its federal court for us!

More details at: http://healoss.wordpress.com/

Ladies and gentlemen:

May I present...the "smoking gun"

http://healoss.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/a201200295.pdf

This access to information report was provided just recently.  Enjoy!

heavy reader said:
Ladies and gentlemen:

Wow.  Just.  Wow.

heavy reader said:
Ladies and gentlemen:

Coles notes? That's a lot to read....

PuckChaser said:
Coles notes? That's a lot to read....

Basically, there are few (if any) depressed markets in Canada.  Not only that, TBS wouldn't provide the analysis info of how they came to some of their conclusions ("not sure what the purpose of providing that information would be" was the quote).

Edit 2:  To remove somewhat personal info.

Edit to add:  And D. Ram Singh needs to stop using "MSN speak" in his emails.  ;)

Hi PMED Moe,

I was able to get the TBS assessment for this city from an ATI.  It can be found at http://healoss.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/a201200294.pdf.  I also verified the info they quoted and the variables used.

It is pretty evident in the ATI, however to save some eye strain, they used data from 2 years earlier, from downtown Edmonton only (not CMA, or Edmonton Area), and used such exemplary sources as blogs and wikipedia to "disprove" the MLS data provided to them.

What did I expect? The same as any other CF relocated member... that we would be entitled to our entitlements once we met the criteria.

Oh, and by the way, according to the 2 ATI's discussed...and contrary to what everyone has said, there were THREE DEPRESSED MARKETS in Canada!

I wonder why this info was never shared?

And why is someone going direct to the Program Authority to have their HEA application looked at?

Who is Maryse Ouellet?

A member of the CF will be on the CBC (The Current) tomorrow morning. You may want to listen in on your way to work.

-Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean "they" are not out to get you.

Thanks for the Coles notes version.

Doesn't surprise me that they are so glib about a massive loss to an individual. I think we need to start moving around TBS employees every 3-5 years from low cost to high cost of living areas and see what happens with the policies then... I bet they start to favour the member.

PMedMoe said:
Basically, there are few (if any) depressed markets in Canada.  Not only that, TBS wouldn't provide the analysis info of how they came to some of their conclusions ("not sure what the purpose of providing that information would be" was the quote).

Edit to add:  And D. Ram Singh needs to stop using "MSN speak" in his emails.  ;)

Ram Singh just needs to stop breathing.  I worked for Brookfield for two years.  I did RCMP and Gov't Employee moves.  There is a bias.  I loved my RCMP members but some of them got seriously screwed due to operational requirements.  And the gov't employees got their hands held and their heads patted and their requests approved for exceptional circumstances.  Not to this extent, but the constant call of exceptional circumstances was ridiculous.  it was codespeak for 'They don't move often and therefore don't know better'

Whereas RCMP Cpl. Awesome got transfered twice in one year and lost 100 grand.  He got transfered to one place, bought a house, found out the inspector missed a massive issue and got transferred back.  Had to sell the damned house at a loss or else not be able to keep his job.

- devils advocate -

I wonder if anyone ever considers giving the profit they made from the sale of a house back to the crown ?

technophile said:
- devils advocate -

I wonder if anyone ever considers giving the profit they made from the sale of a house back to the crown ?

Why the heck would they do that? The crown didn't risk any of their money to buy the house.

GnyHwy said:
Why the heck would they do that? The crown didn't risk any of their money to buy the house.

>:D But's the other side of the coin.  If we want the Crown to socialize the loss, should the Crown not also share in the gain?

Fundamentally, the base amount needs to be revisited, as it's about 20 years since the $15K amount was set; and house prices have increased significantly since then.  Adjust for the average increase in house prices, and the $15K should grow to about $30K.  That won't solve everyone's problems, but it would certainly shrink the problem space.

dapaterson said:
Fundamentally, the base amount needs to be revisited, as it's about 20 years since the $15K amount was set; and house prices have increased significantly since then.  Adjust for the average increase in house prices, and the $15K should grow to about $30K.  That won't solve everyone's problems, but it would certainly shrink the problem space.

Great idea, considering most homes in areas where there are military bases, $15k is around 5% of the value.

The % issue is one of the larger problems as the relative percentage lost has been harder as house prices increased. However, this forum is mainly discussing the protection of 100% HEA from core when, for communities where an industry has failed, the %loss is over 20% (from time bought to time sold).

It's a safety net for those souls who get caught in this situation.  It is an entitlement, to ensure families are not pooched.

It will be discussed at the Standing Committee on National Defence on Monday. You can listen in live at http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/parlvu/ContentEntityDetailView.aspx?contententityid=10099&date=20130225&lang=en

I think the way that HEA is calculated as well should be reviewed. It should be based on the required appraisal amount, not on purchase price.

Unless the member is familiar to the rules prior to purchasing a home, they will find out the hard way when they apply for HEA basing their application on market value because they believe that all of the monies they have invested in their home are part of the fair market values, like hardwood floors, new roof etc. And the fact that an appraisal is required. To find out they are SOL because HEA doesn't work that way.

This is how I have seen it happen to several people.

Let's say you are fortunate enough to live in the same place for say five years. ( Hard sea trade sailors are generally a little more fortunate than this, army and airforce can bounce around a lot more than this)

You pay $200k originally and invest about $40k in improvements over five years. The way the HEA is calculated now is if you sold your house for $20000.01 (Unless you have all receipts for upgrades) you have actually made $.01 so therefore no loss has been incurred and you are not entitled to HEA.

I am interested to see if this policy will change. Meanwhile I hope everyone keeps any receipts for any upgrades they make to their house now.
:salute:

Back