• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to get family on board

c4th said:
My conversation with my mother about me joining the army went something like:

Ring Ring:   Hello..

Hi mom

Hi son

I joined the army and I'm on my way to Croatia.

Oh......

That's actually pretty funny. I can't wait to join the reserves. Maybe I should do something like that... ;D

You must be a real soilder! because your very right at out west there like you just stated. Worse then a bunch of wanabez lol. But I think the police treat there men with alot more respect. ie safety.

from Gomer

Hey dudes guesse what

JUST GOT SWORN IN tonight

3 hours ago in quebec with the voltigeur
I'm so freakin happy i'm now a citzen soldier

Long live CANADA

Rugged rifle said:
Hey dudes guesse what

JUST GOT SWORN IN tonight

3 hours ago in quebec with the voltigeur
I'm so freakin happy i'm now a citzen soldier

Long live CANADA

The way you type reminds me of the way this francophone dude I used to know talked. Cracks me up every time. (yes, I am easily amused).

GOMERPYLE said:
You must be a real soilder! because your very right at out west there like you just stated. Worse then a bunch of wanabez lol. But I think the police treat there men with alot more respect. ie safety.

from Gomer

Wow !  Thats a solidly-built retort if i have ever seen one  ::)

I suppose you are a "real" soldier ?

By the way...what are you talking about ?

You can tell my accent in the way i'm writing
that's pretty uncommon....i think?
:cdn:

My father supports me in anything I do because he has always let me carve my own path. We have talks about the military and we go over the pros and cons of military life and what it means to be a soldier and a Canadian. My mother on the other hand is also as supportive but could would rather not hear or talk about the military. I am very lucky to have parents that accept my decisions in life for exactly that, my decisions - that's what parents are for, to pick you up when you fall, to lift you up when your down.

My advice is that if it is truly in your heart of hearts to be in the Canadian Forces - then follow it. You only live once and some people can handle it, some people can't.

Cheers.

My parents also support me in this way. They say as long as you make good out of it...

Hehe, anecdote here.

I had specially booked a lunch with my mother to announce her the news, that I went to CFRC to give my application and that my decision was 100% sure now. I just wanted not bother her when I was not so sure...

So we talk about casual things and others and finally she comes up with "Well, why did you want us to get together finally? Is your girlfriend pregnant?" Just out of the blue, I say "Yes!" She says, "Is that true, you're not kidding me!?" I say "Yes!", again, "I'm kidding you." Haha, she flushed out a second and was ok after. Just right after that, I say, "Well, that wasn't that, that could, but no she's not pregnant. I decided to join up the CF." She answers back with that globulous gaze, "Well, you're kidding me again!?" And this time I say, "No." "Really?", she says on a good note, a bit anxious... and the usual conversation between mother and son, like how dangerous it is, what career perspective, what MOC I chose, deployments, where I could be based, etc...

Just to give my opinion on telling the news. I'm from Quebec and I think this is somewhat rather harder to deal with it in here. I had a lot of fears regarding how the people would react to it. In hindsight, I see that I had a lot of fears that just never materialized in reality. All of my friend and people I told I would join reacted positively to this, to my great surprise!

Moral of this story, go ahead boy!

Rugged rifle said:
first, you're right ,I'm a francophone

second, what gave it away? :cdn:

I wasn't sure, really. But the "I am so freaking happy" bit was what triggered my recolection. Except when he said it it wa smore like I'm so frikin 'appy".  :p

hhaaa THose good old english class, they make me wonder why do when even speak french since english is much better....well simpler at least..., i guess
here's to canada :cdn:

Rugged rifle said:
hhaaa THose good old english class, they make me wonder why do when even speak french since english is much better....well simpler at least..., i guess
here's to canada :cdn:

That was an incredibly inteligent comment now wasn't it  ::)

The best part is "here's to Canada" ... a nation which recognizes cultural diversity and is officially bilingual.

After he makes fun of french.

"The ironing is hilarious"

Alright. So I have convinced my parents that the army is where i want to go and that it's not really a bad decision. However, like most things in life, theres a catch.

My father has stipulated a few rules in order for me to join up without being disowned:
          A) graduate highschool (thats a given)
          B) Get the Best marks possible
          C)Get into RMC/ selected for ROTP/ DEO route (pretty much go to university)       
          D) Become and officer
          E) Not stay in for longer than 5 years

While i agree with him on parts A and B, i think he's going way too far with parts C,D, and E. I clue into the fact that yes he is mey dad and is only trying to do the best for me, but ultimately, isn't my choice to make how i join and for how long i want to be in for?

Any ideas, suggestions, adivce, or "i was in your situation" stories are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

wow It seems your dad would be my dads best friend lol
I got the same exact talk. (I also got a flat out NO to joining the reserves this year but as soon as my cousin joined I got the greenlight)

Future Unknown said:
wow It seems your dad would be my dads best friend lol
I got the same exact talk. (I also got a flat out NO to joining the reserves this year but as soon as my cousin joined I got the greenlight)

Yes! so i'm not alone in this :-\

rmc_wannabe said:
Alright. So I have convinced my parents that the army is where i want to go and that it's not really a bad decision. However, like most things in life, theres a catch.

My father has stipulated a few rules in order for me to join up without being disowned:
          A) graduate highschool (thats a given)
          B) Get the Best marks possible
          C)Get into RMC/ selected for ROTP/ DEO route (pretty much go to university)          
          D) Become and officer
          E) Not stay in for longer than 5 years

While i agree with him on parts A and B, i think he's going way too far with parts C,D, and E. I clue into the fact that yes he is mey dad and is only trying to do the best for me, but ultimately, isn't my choice to make how i join and for how long i want to be in for?

Any ideas, suggestions, adivce, or "i was in your situation" stories are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Well if you get into RMC you will be staying for nine years at least.  Besides won't you be 18 when you graduate high school? So if you want to join then join.  Also, if he is hell bent on you going to university does he have the $50,000 plus to pay for it or wouldn't he rather you were subsidized through ROTP?

Your dad wants what's best for you so you should take his advice seriously. Going to either university or RMC will open many doors for you, both in the military and the civilian sectors. I found that university is where I learned the most, not only academically, but about myself as well.

I'd suggest that you at least get a degree, then decide from there.

Bo said:
Your dad wants what's best for you so you should take his advice seriously. Going to either university or RMC will open many doors for you, both in the military and the civilian sectors. I found that university is where I learned the most, not only academically, but about myself as well.

I'd suggest that you at least get a degree, then decide from there.

I know he wants the best for me and i respect that and i am trying to meet his requirements. I just don't know if the university route is the one for me.

I'm thinking that maybe taking the NCM road is a good way to test the water. It's three years, and i still could be able to go to University after the time's up.

Back