• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to lose weight in a healthy way (merged)

With respect to Jaxson's post.

That wasn't a typo, Bill Phillips prescribes a maximum of 20 minutes for his cardio plan.  The key is that it is 20 minutes of intense, interval-style cardio.  If you intend to just go for a long, normal paced run then 25 minutes should be the minimum you go for. 

I'm now also adding a Saturday swim to my workout :D 2 hours of various strokes, diving, water treading, etc  ;D

LordVagabond said:
I'm now also adding a Saturday swim to my workout :D 2 hours of various strokes, diving, water treading, etc   ;D

Holy crap, I admire your enthusiasm! Just make sure you have time to sleep eh?  ;D

Spazz said:
Holy crap, I admire your enthusiasm! Just make sure you have time to sleep eh?  ;D

I just know that I want in to the best career in Canada  :salute: :warstory:

I also get 5-10 hours of sleep, depending on my schedule, and I eat 5 times a day. Basically, my motivation is that I don't want to be on the receiving end of a "Private Bloggins, why are you so out of shape?!?!" lecture  ;D

horsegunner353 said:
If you ever falter in motivation, watch the scene from Saving Private Ryan when the German and American are wrestling with a single bayonet and the German wins.  If that doesn't motivate you to do more push ups nothing will!

This quote had a huge effect on me.   I was recently pondering why we do so many pushups.    But being prepared to push a bayonet wielding enemy combatant off of my chest is a good enough reason for doing all the pushups in the world!  

As for my suggestions,

Your workouts need to mmimic your activities as a soldier.   So assess your abilities with regards to strength and cardio   If you are good at one exercise, then don't spend all your time on it.   Focus on your weaknesses.   For example, if you are super at ruck marching then focus on something else.

Strength:
If I were you I would do multiple sets of pushups instead of all kinds of weights.   If you are like me (I"m 5"8 and 195lbs) then you have plenty of body weight to use as resistance.   When I say multiple sets, I mean MULTIPLE sets.   You need to build muscle endurance as the army tests how many pushups you can do, not how much you benchpress (well, maybe they do but not at the fitness eval).   So for example I started out with a few weeks at 4x15pushups, then 4x20, then 5x20, then 5x25, then 6x25, then 6x30, then 10x20, then 20x20.   I have been working on this for 1.5 years and just started the 10x20.   So it takes time.   I would do this 3 times/week unless you are suffering from DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness).   If that is the case, wait until you are not stiff and sore and keep going.   Once you can do a week of pushups and don't feel stiff, move up to a more difficult set.   If you can't complete a set (which happens to me all the time), then take a 2 second break and tab on!   or complete the set with negatives (go to the start position with arms straight and let yourself down-studies show that the most benefit is gained when the muscle is lengthened under stress).

The good thing about pushups is there are a billion ways to do them.    Vary the routine, do different types to target different areas (hands close, shoulder width and far apart, try dive bombers-look them up).   Do incline pushups or get a small child to sit on your shoulders for greater resistance.    

As for chin up I do 8 sets of 10 (4 sets wide grip, 4 sets normal chinup grip).   I started out with 2x8, then 3x8, then 3x10, then 4x10, etc.   I can complete the first set or two and then have to finish the sets with negatives (for chinups-climb up to the bar (use a chair or whatever) and let yourself down slowly).   When it comes to improving chinups, negatives really work.   And the good thing is you can do lots of them because all you have to do is let yourself down slowly.   I went from 2 chinups to 13 (but losing 25lbs helped out I'm sure)

Cardio

As for cardio unless you have lots of time and are chasing a cute girl in the swim aerobics class, I would stick to running.   Nothing can replace it.   As a soldier, you won't be chasing Bin Laden on the elliptical machine!  

Your body has to get used to the beating and pounding.   However, one must be wise, running injuries result when you go too far, too fast, too soon.   Start out slow and gradually work up to your goal.   Run on grass or a professional track to spare your knees.   Call the running room and have them give you some advice on what runs to do and how often over the phone.   I did this and they suggested the following:

4 runs per week
1st run-normal run comfortable distance
2nd run-either run intervals or hills (hills are amazing at strengthening your legs to help you run faster).
3rd run-normal run comfortable distance
4th run-long slower run-go for distance (don't increase it anymore than .5km per week).   So run for 10 min, walk for 1min and repeat.   You can literally go forever like this.  

The reason you need to vary your run is because your body undergoes different metabolic processes when you do different runs.   Fast runs work on ccardioand power, longer runs allow your body to produce more mitochondria-which are needed to supply your mmuscleswith energy.   So more energy=longer more powerful runs.  

Well, I am going on and on but here is one more rant.

Weight loss:
Use the measuring tape as a the primary indicator of weight loss and not the scale.   It is hard to lose fat and not lose some muscle as well.    So be careful how you do it.   Anita Bean published a really good book on all this including how to eat for athletic performance.   She advised to eat 5-6 SMALL meals a day-this keeps blood sugar stable and each time you eat your body has to rev up the digestive system to digest the food (you burn 100-150 calories each time you eat).  

You also need to calculate how many calories you need each day (include exercise) and eat 10-15% less than your body needs (skip the butter on the toast, cookie after lunch, morning donut and you're good to go).   This is much easier to do than crash diet.    

Well, that's all I have to say... :salute:

As far as I understand (from watching the BMQ vid and reading up on it) there is a swim portion of BMQ where you need to be able to do three "survival tasks" or you go to remedial training... ie jump into a pool, tread water for 2 minutes, then swim 50 m, etc. So I am getting my body used to holding its breath, jumping from heights, treading water, and laps are very good cardio, so apart from helping build strength, they help burn fat.

I can't do long distance running very well yet, but I can ruck like nothing else. I'm slowly getting myself up to it, but all the flabber that's bouncing around doesn't do much to help. And it actually hurts after about 10 minutes because it's tugging on my body structure.

I also don't have 1.5 years to get myself up to spec. I have 6 months, 7 at the outside, according to the guys at CFRC Calgary. So I need to power on and get things DONE....

Sadly, I cannot do even one unassisted chin up yet (the chinup machine has counterweights to offset body weight). My arms aren't strong enough to haul my body vertically up yet. Too much weight  :crybaby:

You have a good point.  I have had a ton of time to prepare.  From what you say, excess weight is a key concern of yours. 

Have you looked into Dr. Bernstein's Weight Loss Clinics?  Look him up on the web.  Apparently people lose 4-5lbs of fat a week on his program.

It will cost you about a few hundred bucks a month though but from what I hear it works.

horsegunner353 said:
With respect to Jaxson's post.

That wasn't a typo, Bill Phillips prescribes a maximum of 20 minutes for his cardio plan.   The key is that it is 20 minutes of intense, interval-style cardio.   If you intend to just go for a long, normal paced run then 25 minutes should be the minimum you go for.  
Phillips isn't a soldier. We do PT for an hour. 90% of the time, that PT is a run. Having this guy run for 20 minutes is not going to help him.

Vagabond, have you read my post on Blisters and PT yet? It covers everything you need to lose fat and gain muscle quickly, and will prepare you for Basic in other ways, as well. It was recommended to you twice by others, and I'm curious.

paracowboy said:
Phillips isn't a soldier. We do PT for an hour. 90% of the time, that PT is a run. Having this guy run for 20 minutes is not going to help him.

Vagabond, have you read my post on Blisters and PT yet? It covers everything you need to lose fat and gain muscle quickly, and will prepare you for Basic in other ways, as well. It was recommended to you twice by others, and I'm curious.

There you go. All you need to know, and then some. Finito.

Hello all,

I'm planning on joining the CF as a med tech, just waiting for all the processing to start up again. I need to lose quite a bit of weight, right now I'm about 5'6 180 lbs.
I'm trying to figure out where to start here. My scheduale only allows me to workout early morning/late night, and since I live in the country it's not safe to run outdoors after dark (lots of bears around here!). I do have an older treadmill, although there is no incline function.
Right now I can do about 10 decent pushups, about 20 sit ups, and I can hold a steady jog for about 20 minutes (I'm working on quitting smoking too!).
So my question is... what should I be doing? Can anyone give me some help with coming up with a good workout plan? Thanks in advance :)

Cherry,

My suggestion would be to enroll for an aquatic fitness program if at all possible. There are many routines available to you on line that you could use if there is not a program in your area that would suit your current schedule.

If you are not at present a strong swimmer, do not be discouraged this avenue will have two fold benefits for you. It will provide you with a low impact cardio intense workout while helping to develop swimming skills that will be of great benefit to you later in basic training.

I don't think the benefits of walking can be overstated. If in your part of the world your having a typical winter with snow, try some winter golf. As crazy as this might sound its a great way to burn off some steam and calories while allowing the brain to focus on other than mundane activities. Simply grab your handy 3 wood an orange street hockey ball and find a patch of deep snow to start belting out the 300 yards. All of a sudden your getting a low impact workout that is involving both lower body and upper body. The deeper the snow the better, as this forces you to lift those knees and lots of digging while looking for your ball.  Bring a friend and fetch happy dog and now you have a real sport.

I do hope these ideas have given you a small insight of place to start. Just being creative about what activities you do will go along way towards helping you obtain your over all goals. My only caution would be the hope that regardless of what you do, try to limit the exposure to risk of injury. You have plenty of opportunities to challenge your self to higher risk activities as your training with in the CF progresses. At this point you are your only currency you have to offer the CF and that value is greatly diminished if you sustain injury at this point. 

There are SO many threads about this so I won't get into datail about it cuz I'll probably get yelled at :p

don't think of it as losing weight... think of it as losing body fat. There's a huge difference. If you look in the mirror (the mirror is your friend!) and you see copious amounts of unwanted body fat, then the solution is simple: less food, more exercise.

Well, not really...

you may not be eating too much food, you may just be eating the wrong food. how's your diet? Do you eat a lot of junk or fast food? If you do, STOP! :)

Protein: meats and eggs
Carbs: veggies and fruit
Fats: oils
If you like to eat those... you're already on your way!
I tell this to all my clients... throw your scale out in the yard and forget about it. Scales are useless. Use your mirror! Once you start to see results, then you know you're doing it right.

Oh, and quit smoking... did you know smoking deteriorates your abdominal wall?  (heh, that always scares my younger client... no washboard for you!)

Anyway.. surf around these forums and you'll find some great advice.

Good luck

EpicBeardedMan said:
Not that hard once you know what's in it.  :p
[/quote

I would agree with that 100% start looking into what these "junk" foods contain and you wont feel to bad about dropping those out of your diet all together.  Drink a pile of water and do your best to not eat anything after 7:00pm.  If you find that you must try cottage cheese, its high in protien(casein protien to be percise) which will burn slowly and leave you feeling full longer.

my :2c:

RTG :cdn:

EpicBeardedMan said:
Not that hard once you know what's in it.

This :nod:

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but if you just take a glance at the nutritional info on some products, what you see can make you jaw drop. Also, when reading the nutritional info, do take into account sample size, since they often make it look healthier by only showing half of the meal.

Diet and exercise are each only half of the battle.

Reduce your carb intake, stop eating processed foods, take whites out of your diet (sugar, flour, salt, etc.) and exercise daily.  Lost 45 lbs in five weeks that way.  Set a realistic daily carb intake and stick to it.

kincanucks said:
Reduce your carb intake, stop eating processed foods, take whites out of your diet (sugar, flour, salt, etc.) and exercise daily.  Lost 45 lbs in five weeks that way.  Set a realistic daily carb intake and stick to it.

Losing nine pounds per week is not healthy.

Kratos said:
Losing nine pounds per week is not healthy.

Bullshit. While I still don't agree with your non medical POV, I have recalculated my weight loss and it was over an approximate eight period or 5 pounds plus per week.  Out.

kincanucks said:
Bullshit.

Really?

You can "lose" a ton of weight in a very short period of time, but most of it will be water weight. As soon as your resume normal eating/drinking habits, it will just come back.

The maximum amount of actual fat a healthy person can lose is 2-4 lbs per week. Healthy person meaning someone who still has a moderate body fat percentage. Clearly the higher your body fat percentage, the easier time you will have losing weight in the beginning. You never stated your height/weight. Some sources will also say healthy weight loss is 1% of your BW.

If you start losing weight too quickly, your body will go into survival mode and your metabolism will slow down, not allowing you to lose more weight.

Losing weight very quickly will also cause you to lose a lot of muscle tissue. Also not good.

You did not, in a healthy manner, lose 45 lbs of actual body weight in five weeks. That is not bull****

Back