• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Here's a thought - if the ICU is going to be so great, why is there a solicitation on MERX for at least 3,800 Crye Precision uniforms (camouflage pattern not specified), with options for 1,900 more, delivered within 200 km of Petawawa?

signalsguy said:
Here's a thought - if the ICU is going to be so great, why is there a solicitation on MERX for at least 3,800 Crye Precision uniforms (camouflage pattern not specified), with options for 1,900 more, delivered within 200 km of Petawawa?

Squirrels, oops, JTF-2 are going to do their own dye jobs as they see fit for whatever they may be up to ?

signalsguy said:

Ref that Merx order it is asking for those Crye uniforms in multicam - last merx I saw regarding the order.  Also,  what makes you believe that CANSOF won't be wearing the ICU when it comes out?

signalsguy said:

The Crye kit looks pretty much the same as the ICU, perhaps the MREX listing is giving anyone else a chance to beat the bid? Either that, or theres a lot of SF units within 200km of Petawawa.....

I don't think that the Crye uniforms are anything like the ICU. The submission is asking for the G3 combat shirt - similar to the OTW shirt issued in Afghanistan. Crye's stuff has received some pretty glowing reviews and is in use with a large percentage of the western world's special operations community.

http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-APRCSE02LGR/G3-Combat-Shirt%E2%84%A2

http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-APRCPE0232R/G3-Combat-Pants%E2%84%A2

I know we are all assuming it's a SOFCOM buy but maybe, just maybe, its a large scale trial...

Hopefully they go with another manufacturer for the hybrid shirts, I've worn mine here about 10 times each, washed it just as many and there is stitching falling apart everywhere.

Perhaps its a trial for a CADPAT(TW) hybrid combat shirt...

As long as it looks cool, thats what important! Hopefully no dinosaur RSMs freak out about the new uniform....

I hope they fix the velcro pach on the left shoulder thing otherwise SF will be easy to trace from the trail of tiny Canadian flags on the ground. ;D

ArmyRick said:
As long as it looks cool, thats what important! Hopefully no dinosaur RSMs freak out about the new uniform....

Watch the dinosaur cracks there Junior T Rex - you are about close to being one.  ;)

Regarding the MERX solicitation for the 'Advanced Combat Uniform' for a customer 'within 200km of Petawawa' (i.e. CSOR/DHTC/JTF2), having read the in-depth solicitation (not just the summary on the non-subscriber section of MERX), they're calling for the uniforms to be done in Multicam.  There will be a shirt called the 'Direct Action' shirt that is pretty much the Crye Combat Shirt, a set of trousers which are pretty much the Crye Combat Pants, and a shirt called the 'Special Reconnaissance Shirt' which looks like the Crye Field Shirt.

As for the likelihood of the customer that buys these wearing the ICU when it comes into service, since there's the initial purchase of 3900 sets, with purchase options up to 5 years beyond the contract award date of another 1900 per option, it's unlikely they'd use the ICU for anything other than occasions when Canadian standard issue uniforms are required.

daftandbarmy said:
I hope they fix the velcro pach on the left shoulder thing otherwise SF will be easy to trace from the trail of tiny Canadian flags on the ground. ;D

hah! everyone knows they dont wear canadian flags on their uniform!!

LieutenantPrivate said:
hah! everyone knows they dont wear canadian flags on their uniform!!

You mean 'Them'? Of course 'They' don't... neither do I beacuse our stupid uniform is designed to shed maple leaves just like the real trees in Fall.  ;D

I'm less concerned about what jtf is wearing and more concerned about when I'll be able to exchange ripped pants at clothing stores again

R031button said:
I'm less concerned about what jtf is wearing and more concerned about when I'll be able to exchange ripped pants at clothing stores again

Agreed, particularly for the Reservists, Class A types.

Jim Seggie said:

Yea, I have 3 pairs of pants / 3 tunics that are full of holes and faded silver...and my sewing skills only extend so far. Yet I keep getting told "It will happen when it happens"

Dkeh said:
Yea, I have 3 pairs of pants / 3 tunics that are full of holes and faded silver...and my sewing skills only extend so far. Yet I keep getting told "It will happen when it happens"

These comments remind me of the late 90's when there were virtually nil stock of 'normal' sized combats due to a chronic shortage of the cloth used to manufacture combats resulting from the fabric mill that produced the cloth going out of business.

I can understand a shortage of normal sizes, seeing as those are the most common to be exchanged, but even I, a 6'7" male cannot exchange my combats...
It seems the base supply here in Shilo has run a limited supply of skinny tall and skinny short sizes out, and my only chance to exchange my trousers is if I add 10" to my waist  :eek:

I look forward to new combats, whatever they are.

According to the dist chart on the original power point slide, the priority was to deploying units and then CTC.  Is anyone aware if CTC has started receiving the new combat set yet?

Jim Seggie said:

While I have sympathy for that, guys in my company are showing up to work in combats in a fucking horrid state, because base clothing doesn't have any combats to exchange and will not as their waiting for the improve combat uniform to arrive. We're the supposedly the core of the IRU and standing up for task force 1-13 (what ever that means) so I would assume we're high on the list for the ICU, but all I've heard is that base stores is expecting to get new combats in the summer some time.

R031button said:
*snip* but all I've heard is that base stores is expecting to get new combats in the summer some time.

That'd be nice, there's guys in my battery that are down to one good set of combats right now  :p

Back