• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

PMedMoe said:
I, for one, hope my old uniforms don't wear out before I release.

It's alright, Moe.

In about forty years, a cabal of decrepit, semi-senile Honourary Colonels and the like will conspire to "restore" the old, smaller, less-gaudy Canadian flags to a generation of troops who have never worn them and this will generate an unbelievable level of political support. "We must have slip-ons back, too, to honour our Vets who died in Afghanistan while wearing slip-ons".

Loachman said:
It's alright, Moe.

In about forty years, a cabal of decrepit, semi-senile Honourary Colonels and the like will conspire to "restore" the old, smaller, less-gaudy Canadian flags to a generation of troops who have never worn them and this will generate an unbelievable level of political support. "We must have slip-ons back, too, to honour our Vets who died in Afghanistan while wearing slip-ons".

I almost laughed, then realized that everything you said is horrifyingly true.  I guess there will always be deck chairs to rearrange on the Titanic.

Loachman said:
It's alright, Moe.

Will anyone think of the Decade of Darkness and Cold War contingent? Those slip-ons must be worn on a ratty, baggy, and monotone uniform, with hard-soled boots!

Jokes aside, what is the reasons for switching from slip-on rank to velcro rank?  To remove a button beneath protective vests?

Materials may change but there is only so many variation in design you can have with a uniform designed for combat.

Having the new top (and having to wear CANADA instead of unit identifier cause they aren't ready yet :facepalm:), I noticed no real difference under FFO (plates and all). I do like the flat pockets for the chest and hips. The pen holders are useless though. Also the velcro wrist straps are a welcomed addition.

Velcro on the new ranks. . . .must be because officers hate taking forever on parade trying to fumble with the button when giving out promotions.

Moore said:
Lol, I don't know if you misunderstood my message or you're just over reacting. I think we can all agree that Canada's been in need of atleast a new updated combat shirt for awhile now. The old one has a 1x2" canadian flag that's tiny compared to the new ones. They look much better now so you can actually show off to the rest of the world that you're Canadian. The U.S. Army has had the mandarine collar for a few years, we just got flat pockets and those mandarine collars. As well as somethhing to atleast make the wrists tighter compared to the old as well. And for the longest time Canada's been using slip ons for ranks instead of velcro as well. There's also more shoulder room for shooting etc. Clearly Canada was lagging behind in their uniforms a little bit. I wasn't disrespecting the uniform in anyway, I was saying how the uniform appeared to be in need of an update for quite awhile.

So all things from the U.S. Army are good right? I'll be one of many to tell you that slavishly copying any other army is unwise.

So tell me what experience you have with shooting? And how do we have more shoulder room than before?

Jim Seggie said:
So all things from the U.S. Army are good right? I'll be one of many to tell you that slavishly copying any other army is unwise.

So tell me what experience you have with shooting? And how do we have more shoulder room than before?

Canada didn't necessarily copy, instead they did something that's common sense and that benefits the soldiers. I have no experience shooting but it doesn't take a genius to figure out you can move your arms further back and further forward with the new combats thanks to the extra material hidden in the back of the shirt known as the "action-back". This is used for un restrictive movement. That way you're not ripping your uniform or feeling like you're wearing something way to small. I'm not sure why you're even trying to argue with me or what you're trying to prove because either way it's all my opinion anyways. Maybe you should be the one "winding it down"

Privateer said:
Jokes aside, what is the reasons for switching from slip-on rank to velcro rank?  To remove a button beneath protective vests?

Every seam or other sewing operation on a piece of clothing costs money. Simplifying construction, then, saves money. If you consider all of the different actions required to construct just the strap and slip-on, which includes manually turning each one outside-in after stitching, and then more stitching, you should be able to see how all of this adds up. Stitching a rectangle of velcro on, and machine-embroidering a patch and sewing another piece of velcro onto that, is much cheaper.

Boxy pockets also add to the cost, as do buttons (especially the method by which current ones are attached) and buttonholes.

Moore said:
I have no experience shooting but it doesn't take a genius to figure out you can move your arms further back with the new combats thanks to the extra material hidden in the back of the shirt known as the "action-back". This is used for un restrictive movement. That way you're not ripping your uniform or feeling like you're wearing something way to small.

There are many of us here who have done a lot of shooting. I've never felt restricted by my combat or flying clothing while shooting or doing anything else vigorous over forty-one years of doing these things. I do not recall ever hearing anybody else comment about such imaginary restrictions, either - presuming that they are not wearing something grossly undersized. I've never ripped a uniform doing these things. Ever. If an item of clothing feels "way to [sic] small", then it is, and should be exchanged for one of the proper size.

Moore said:
I'm not sure why you're even trying to argue with me or what you're trying to prove because either way it's all my opinion anyways.

Opinions, as we say, are like anal orifices. Everybody has one.

There is a huge difference between an opinion and an informed opinion. Your opinion, as precious as it may be to you, is based upon nothing, as you have admitted. We tend not to value those very much.

Moore said:
Maybe you should be the one "winding it down"

Hilarious.

Have you had a look at Jim Seggie's profile at all?

You'll meet a few like him, presuming that you are accepted and get very far into your training.

I'd love to be present when you suggest to one of them, face-to-face, that they should "wind it down".

There was a post on here not so long ago about the U.S. Army blouse that our new Cbt shirt is based on. It seems that the majority of improvements that we are adopting ( collar, Velcro, cut) has been binned by the yanks and they are going to redesign the shirt. :facepalm:

Moore said:
Canada didn't necessarily copy, instead they did something that's common sense and that benefits the soldiers. I have no experience shooting but it doesn't take a genius to figure out you can move your arms further back and further forward with the new combats thanks to the extra material hidden in the back of the shirt known as the "action-back". This is used for un restrictive movement. That way you're not ripping your uniform or feeling like you're wearing something way to small. I'm not sure why you're even trying to argue with me or what you're trying to prove because either way it's all my opinion anyways. Maybe you should be the one "winding it down"

Let's just say, wearing the frag vest negates any improvement in mobility(that someone that isn't even in ) may perceive.

Read more civvy, post less.

Regards

noneck said:
There was a post on here not so long ago about the U.S. Army blouse that our new Cbt shirt is based on. It seems that the majority of improvements that we are adopting ( collar, Velcro, cut) has been binned by the yanks and they are going to redesign the shirt. :facepalm:

Slavishly and without thought we have adopted something that may be useless.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140812/NEWS07/308120054/Changes-your-combat-uniform

Here is a link to the article.....wouldn't want leave the rumour unsourced!

Moore said:
Canada didn't necessarily copy, instead they did something that's common sense and that benefits the soldiers. I have no experience shooting

You should have shut up after typing this.

I thank you for that admission.

Good luck with your application and your career.

Thanks, Loachman. Sorry Jim Seggie for the disrespect and to everyone else. I'll admit my first post wasn't very well written and I didn't mean any trouble at all. I'll clear it up and simply say I personally like the appearance of the new uniforms and that's all I should've said in my first post.

Back