• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Mr. St-Cyr said:
I returned from my last trip to the local clothing store with 5 brown t-shirts. While I was at the counter, I asked the clark if they were issuing the new combat uniform. His answer was priceless : ''Not to you, sir. We don't have your rank patches in stock''.

Right then..... Soundslike a Monty Python skit

Mr. St-Cyr said:
I returned from my last trip to the local clothing store with 5 brown t-shirts. While I was at the counter, I asked the clark if they were issuing the new combat uniform. His answer was priceless : ''Not to you, sir. We don't have your rank patches in stock''.

An answer that's both practical and honest at least...

Jim Seggie said:
More like the Norwegian Blue Parrot that's "pinin for the fjords"

Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, Major? Beautiful plumage!

He never wanted to be a supply tech in the first place. He wanted to be... a lumberjack!

Last year, the government spent less on the Ministry of silly walks than it did on national defense!

Death to Velcro....

Seriously, why are we not following the US example here? I need quick access to ammo pouches, not pockets....

U.S. Army to reduce Velcro on combat uniforms but Canadian Army keeps the same material on its clothes

The U.S. Army is making six changes to its combat uniform that include stripping Velcro from the sleeve pocket, elbow patches, knee patches and lower leg pocket flap, the Army Times is reporting. The service is also considering five additional fixes because soldiers asked for them, Sergeant Major of the Army Raymond Chandler, the service’s top enlisted official told the newspaper.

“Velcro has been controversial,” Chandler said. “We had Velcro on the wrists and our war fighters in Iraq and Afghanistan really had some concerns with noise discipline when they were in close proximity to the enemy. So we went to a button.”

The Canadian Army, however, does not have the same concerns.

“Within the Canadian Army, current combat uniform pattern places little reliance on the use of Velcro aside from identification purposes, such as name tags,” army public affairs officer Capt. Valerie Lanouette told Defence Watch. “Although our new Enhanced Combat Uniform (ECU) design utilizes more Velcro than the current uniform it continues to use less than the US Army uniform. Primarily, the use of this product continues to be for identification purposes, as these items are not required to be manipulated in a tactical scenario during combat.  To this point, there have been no complaints from soldiers about the noise made by Velcro on the current issued uniform or the ECU. 

The CA has taken a balanced approach on the use of this material between noise and speed of access to items in the combat uniform pockets. Buttons provide much slower access to pockets than Velcro, whereas Velcro creates more noise than buttons.  Therefore, we have no plan to change the amount of Velcro on the new ECU than is currently in production.”

Link removed as per Site Guidelines

Save time? Seriously? I can pop or close a button with thumb/two fingers. The velcro on the old uniforms is like friggin superglue, or jams full of fuzz and doesn't stick after a month.

daftandbarmy said:
To this point, there have been no complaints from soldiers about the noise made by Velcro on the current issued uniform or the ECU.

Capt. Valerie Lanouette has likely not asked anybody who is wearing this. I interrogated the first person that I saw wearing it this past October - an Infantry Corporal. The first part of his review was a lengthy complaint abou the velcro and its various shortcomings including noise.

So, question for you all, now that the new ICU is being issued here in St-Jean, where would a navy guy get the rank patches for these gucci pieces of kit?

I know CP gear is selling "Canadian Army Rank Patches" on their site, and it says they can accommodate requests for other environments, etc. But are the rank patches the right size, or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

I ask because my size combats are the most common size and are no longer in stock, but until I get rank patches I can't get the new ones...and you can nearly see through my damn combats...lol.

Cheers!

Are you talking about getting rank patches with black thread? I've never seen those, just the high-vis white colour that is tri-service.

PuckChaser said:
Are you talking about getting rank patches with black thread? I've never seen those, just the high-vis white colour that is tri-service.

Yes, the navy and air force have environmental patches, olive drab with black thread. The Hi-Vis is army only.

clericalchronicals said:
Yes, the navy and air force have environmental patches, olive drab with black thread. The Hi-Vis is army only.

The ICU's use a rank patch not a slip-on and the only ones I have seen are the army version.

army_rank_patch.jpg

Back