• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Moore said:
After wearing the new uniform for a couple of months now, I can definitely say the big patches get in the way sometimes. Whether it be getting caught on my tactical vest and coat sleeves or bending your arms certain ways it gets in the way. Other than that I like the new uniform so far, except I battle to even get pens all the way down in the pen pocket.

In other news, sales of these skyrocket...

Moore said:
After wearing the new uniform for a couple of months now, I can definitely say the big patches get in the way sometimes. Whether it be getting caught on my tactical vest and coat sleeves or bending your arms certain ways it gets in the way. Other than that I like the new uniform so far, except I battle to even get pens all the way down in the pen pocket.
I'm going to go right out and say it. When did the CF invest in the Velcro industry? You know what I never had to worry about with old ODs ? Name tags being crooked, flags getting pulled off, or curling from being pulled off and on, etc.  Or the Velcro on the pockets no longer working.

I don't want to go back to OD but I really hate all the Velcro.

Velcro is a brand name, you're talking about "hook and loop" fasteners.

Bzzliteyr said:
Velcro is a brand name, you're talking about "hook and loop" fasteners.

Pederast!

Oops, sorry! I meant pedant.  :)

Tcm621 said:
I'm going to go right out and say it. When did the CF invest in the Velcro industry? You know what I never had to worry about with old ODs ? Name tags being crooked, flags getting pulled off, or curling from being pulled off and on, etc.  Or the Velcro on the pockets no longer working.

50589710.jpg

TCM621 - Behold the era of the introduction of velcro - all our webbing was held together by velcro.  Which released every time you got the ruddy stuff wet.

Which is why everybody carried a roll of this stuff.

RO8228.jpg

Tcm621 said:

Our unit was tasked with trials on the old OD Goretex Kit. One of their concerns was the Velcro making too much noise.
It does make the issue and wear of CADPAT easier. No trips to the tailor/seamstress to get name tags and Flags sewn on.

And FYI for you troops who never served in Cyprus, we starched our UN hats and spit shone our jungle boots.

Kirkhill said:
50589710.jpg

TCM621 - Behold the era of the introduction of velcro - all our webbing was held together by velcro.  Which released every time you got the ruddy stuff wet.

Which is why everybody carried a roll of this stuff.

RO8228.jpg

IMHO it had more to do with those little plastic tabs breaking off/missing vice the velcro having issues.......

When I joined, this was the webbing in use.  And it was all hook and fasteners (or whatever):

wma-350-9521694.jpg

Thank God for Guntape....

And when recceguy joined, they were just introducing this new kit:

90-025_1.jpg

>:D

Technoviking said:
When I joined, this was the webbing in use.  And it was all hook and fasteners (or whatever):

wma-350-9521694.jpg

Thank God for Guntape....

Weren't you the lucky one.  When I joined we still had this:

dapaterson said:
And when recceguy joined, they were just introducing this new kit:

90-025_1.jpg

>:D

And a fine uniform it was too. The slave girls from Gaul and Brittania couldn't keep their hands off us, by Jupiter!

Luxury!

We had to get up four hours before going to bed and make our own webbing out of cereal boxes!

Cereal? Why we were lucky if the turbid water we had contained some pond scum to chew on!

Bzzliteyr said:
I have finally been issued one set of the ICU.

I will be picking up my second set today.

The arm velcro protectors are an interesting addition and very stiff. I don't understand their purpose as we will only be issued "one flag and rank tab per soldier, not per uniform" so I have no clue what to put on the empty velcro spot on my right sleeve. Morale patches are popular with RSMs, right?

The pockets don't have any pen holders in them so you are pretty much forced to use the ones built into the arm unless you enjoy feeling a pen horizontally across your chest.  I haven't tried to roll up my sleeves yet and I don't even know if it is possible.

The pants come with the knee pads in them and they were promptly removed by me as I unwrapped them. I thought blousing them would be a pain in the butt but it wasn't that complicated at all. I used the little green elastics I have for blousing as opposed to the elastic system in them.

We'll see how long they survive in the tough environment of a HQ. I hope the butt is reinforced well.

2 out of my 3 shirts are the ICU, with one older generation type shirt. Reason being is that I was in Trenton on a tasking in October and 2 of my shirts were wrote off as well as some of my personal clothing in a load of laundry. Someone before me used too much bleach and it didn't drain out. I need shirts to wear to go to work so I went to their clothing stores where I was issued with 2 of the ICU shirts.

Last week was the 2nd time around of being talked to and told to change, I went to clothing stores in Pet to try to get at least one of them swapped out for the old gen combats to appease my SSM. I was told no, and was sent back to the unit with what they called a "mommy note" explaining that the only size of shirt in stock where I am is the new generation. So I have 2 ICU shirts, and one old gen shirt, although not faded is sized when I was 25lbs heavier after knee surgery and is now starting to fall apart.

I was told I cant wear the ICU shirt until we all get it and I was contradicting a "regimental directive", but there are lads in other parts of the unit where that is all that they have now, and the new ICU stuff came down in various ogroups within the unit and that clothing stores would be issuing it out now.

*scratching my head with my note in my pocket*

Maybe today I'll get talked to about having a shirt on that is falling apart, where I will explain that I am not allowed to wear my new shirt that a certain SSM doesn't like. I'm not wearing an ICU shirt today to save myself the grief of being accused of playing the mommy daddy game.

Lol........  Has my OT been accepted yet?

If you think you have it rough now, wait until your Units troops are in three different color t-shirts.  The SSM will likely have to put in for stress leave.

Back