• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Hamish Seggie said:
My take on this is that someone is too worried about "Uniformity". We look similar and we are not truly uniform.

Common sense has to prevail at some point.....

And it's an operational/combat uniform - fashion is supposed to be secondary to function, right? 

It's not like Sqn CWOs dictate whether aircrew wear 1 or 2-piece flying suits because "we must all look alike"...I'll take some GIF Repellent, please.  ;)

Dimsum said:
And it's an operational/combat uniform - fashion is supposed to be secondary to function, right? 
Our former foes seemed to have both form and function down:

knightsandsteel10.jpg

Technoviking said:
Our former foes seemed to have both form and function down:

knightsandsteel10.jpg

Yup, I can't imagine a better place to carry my poncho or using my canteen as armour for my nads. ;D

Too bad no one took pictures of when his sergeant major got a hold of him.....

Dimsum said:

It's not like Sqn CWOs dictate whether aircrew wear 1 or 2-piece flying suits because "we must all look alike"...I'll take some GIF Repellent, please.  ;)

One of the good things about our job, we are allowed to dress ourselves.  No adult day-care rules  8).

I can wear a 1 or 2 piece, a beret or wedge, and my rain jacket/combat jacket/parka/fleece jacket/flying jacket as needed and no one has a stroke. 

The fashion police only go bonkers over badges and ballhats.

Eye In The Sky said:
One of the good things about our job, we are allowed to dress ourselves.  No adult day-care rules  8).

I can wear a 1 or 2 piece, a beret or wedge, and my rain jacket/combat jacket/parka/fleece jacket/flying jacket as needed and no one has a stroke. 

/leather jacket?

Eye In The Sky said:

The very rare EITS posing for a picture......

99069770_biggles-ww2-war-fighter-pilot-fancy-dress-costume-ebay.jpg

Eye In The Sky said:

Ball caps were the de rigueur for ground crew when I was in Comox. :dunno:

recceguy said:

I'd be surprised if they aren't still. 

One of the good (for comfort/unit ID) dress rules for the RAAF is that they are allowed to wear unit ball caps with operational clothing at all times - each unit has a patch worn on their sleeve of their combats/flying suits and the cap is coloured to match.  Any colour will do, as long as it's approved. 

Incidentally, the RAAF loves seeing the Army get worked up over that.  >:D

Thucydides said:
Too bad no one took pictures of when his sergeant major got a hold of him.....

What you talking bout Willis? That IS the Sergeant Major!

recceguy said:

Once you are in the breezeway it's good to go, and in Sqn spaces and the flight line.  Anywhere else is bad. 

Privateer said:
/leather jacket?

Negative negative!  I did not partake in the purchase of a non-flying leather jacket.  All of the ones I mentioned are already not approved for flying, and that is more than enough.  I would much rather spend $500 at MEC.

Kat Stevens said:
Odd, I never really got in the habit of telling any of my SSMs to do anything.  8)

I have no plans on telling my SSM what to do in this situation. I'll keep wearing my so called approved garrison shirt that is grossly too big for me and is now starting to fall apart until told otherwise.

DovoNewb said:
I have no plans on telling my SSM what to do in this situation. I'll keep wearing my so called approved garrison shirt that is grossly too big for me and is now starting to fall apart until told otherwise.

Get on a course on a different base, see clothing stores there. Problem solved.

Bzzliteyr said:
Get on a course on a different base, see clothing stores there. Problem solved.

That's how this problem started. I was somewhere else on a tasking. I used a wash machine where someone before me used too much bleach and it didn't drain for whatever reason. I wrote off 2 shirts, ontop of some civillian clothing and ended up getting stuck with 2 of the ICU shirts.

Covertly/"accidently"/pay somebody to spray bleach on his shirt and see what happens when he goes to exchange it.

Update: My office has taken to my ICU with open arms. Four of us stood in the hallway the other day and ridiculed the "old shirters".

I have since noticed that the leg pockets near the ankle have PEN HOLDERS!!  As well, they are a great place to store your sunglasses. I blouse my pants with the old green twistie elastics and have no issues with that. The front zipper and button are offset and it took some time to get used to zipping first, then buttoning after pulling up my pants.

As well, the pen pockets on the arms were very oddly designed and I am still trying to figure out who conceptualized the "2/3 velcro opening that isn't as large as the velcro and doesn't make it easy to get a pen in to the outermost hole" design but I'm not surprised. Maybe it's fullfilling teh "Canadian content" portion of the uniform?

I am not sure I mentioned it before (and am frankly too lazy to go look) but the clothing stores in Kingston where I got the ICU informed me that it is a 1 per PERSON entitlement to the large Canadian flag AND the velcro rank thingamajig.

I have removed both and the nametag and side panels everytime I have washed the ICU top and they have stayed nice and straight, no wavy names tags for this cat!!

I hope you have enjoyed this update and should you have any questions, please feel free to ask them.

Back