• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

-Skeletor- said:
Was that shirt issued new?  Or used?  Perhaps the last owner of that shirt had it modified?  The only combats I've seen with pockets on them were modified,  they weren't issued like that.

Are you saying his rain jacket has pockets/velcro or his combat shirt?  Pockets on rain jacket came out with the first issue of the new rain gear(minus the AF rain jacket),  then a couple years later the angled pockets with velcro on the rain jackets came out.

Both Combat shirt (the outer that goes over the t-shirt) and the Rain Jacket have the angled velcro pockets in TW to match the AR pattern field uniforms and were issued to him new, in the bag.

PrairieThunder said:
Both Combat shirt (the outer that goes over the t-shirt) and the Rain Jacket have the angled velcro pockets in TW to match the AR pattern field uniforms and were issued to him new, in the bag.

First off,  thanks tips.. I didn't know a combat shirt went over the t-shirt  ::)  And I know the rain jackets have arm pockets.. like I said in my above post.. and I've had 3 sets of rain gear issued(first style with sleeve pockets,  AR raingear,  new jacket with angled pocket with velcro) so I am aware of what they look like.

Anyways, this is the first I've heard of shirts being issued with arm pockets(ECUs being issued now or something else?).  Recently I exchanged some of my combat shirts and the new ones I got were the current style(no arm pockets),  both shirts were produced April 2012.

I've seen a couple guys with the new combats at the infantry school; you actually have to look closely to see the differences (except for the shoulders), and they have the white stitching on name-tags etc.

It seems like there's an interim set of combats in the system, look exactly like the old ones but with pockets on the sleeves. The ECUs shouldn't look like the old ones, as the breast pockets are supposed to be flat. Seen a couple folks in Kingston with these interim sets.

-Skeletor- said:
Was that shirt issued new?  Or used?  Perhaps the last owner of that shirt had it modified?  The only combats I've seen with pockets on them were modified,  they weren't issued like that.
The combats had no old name/SN written on them, I'm going to assume they are new.

PuckChaser said:
It seems like there's an interim set of combats in the system, look exactly like the old ones but with pockets on the sleeves. The ECUs shouldn't look like the old ones, as the breast pockets are supposed to be flat. Seen a couple folks in Kingston with these interim sets.
That makes sense.

I'll take a picture of the combats next week (if he lets me).

-Skeletor- said:
First off,  thanks tips.. I didn't know a combat shirt went over the t-shirt  ::)  And I know the rain jackets have arm pockets.. like I said in my above post.. and I've had 3 sets of rain gear issued(first style with sleeve pockets,  AR raingear,  new jacket with angled pocket with velcro) so I am aware of what they look like.

Anyways, this is the first I've heard of shirts being issued with arm pockets(ECUs being issued now or something else?).  Recently I exchanged some of my combat shirts and the new ones I got were the current style(no arm pockets),  both shirts were produced April 2012.

It wasn't an attack on your intelligence or anything of that matter, I was simply just trying to clarify. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I don't know if it was a trial piece or something, but it's the same arm designs as the rain jacket. I may have seen one floating around at 746 Comms Sqn not too long ago too on a Warrant Officer. Definitely not ICU/ECU as there is no mandarin collar.

Sadukar09 said:
I'll take a picture of the combats next week (if he lets me).

The zoomfunction on the Iphone makes seeking permission a thing of the past..

Snaketnk said:
I've seen a couple guys with the new combats at the infantry school; you actually have to look closely to see the differences (except for the shoulders), and they have the white stitching on name-tags etc.
LGen Devlin wore the new combat shirt recently, complete with mandarin collar and enormous (certainly compared to the older size) CA flag on the sleeve.

ObedientiaZelum said:
The zoomfunction on the Iphone makes seeking permission a thing of the past..

LMAO I'm going to keep my eye on you :)

I've seen the TW's with the sleeve pockets too, however the one I saw was a modified set, no chest or hip pockets. It was issued for Close Protection duties. CP seems to get ALMOST as high-speed kit as CSOR :)

Interesting that the recruit got new ones in the bag, I didn't realise they were actually produced like that.  Glad to hear that some ECU's are starting to float through the system though, perhaps the O-grp pass-ons I got were just rumour-mill.

I've seen both RegF and Res members with newly issued (~late-Aug, early-Sep) TW ECUs that have the angled pocket on the upper sleeves.  Straight issue from new stock, no mods at the tailor shop.  I think there was a last batch of TWs that were produced with elements of the ICU's design, i.e. the velcro sleeve patches.  It looks like rolling up the sleeves is next to impossible, though, with the velcro -- not a fan of that, since I prefer to roll my sleeves up.

FWIW. :2c:

Cheers
G2G

Well if it's anything like the ECU's ( I have seen more pictures of the uniform shirts being talked about, definitely not the same CP shirts I was thinking about, also being worn with the new brown boots) you can always roll the sleeves up to the pockets... not quite the same as the old style roll, but perhaps this is just another change we're going to have to get used to lol.

MPMick said:
Well if it's anything like the ECU's ( I have seen more pictures of the uniform shirts being talked about, definitely not the same CP shirts I was thinking about, also being worn with the new brown boots) you can always roll the sleeves up to the pockets... not quite the same as the old style roll, but perhaps this is just another change we're going to have to get used to lol.

Or not at all...KAF had numerous posters aimed at the Americans reminding that not only was the ACU not designed for the sleeves to be rolled up, but it was in fact forbidden (because of the uniform design, risk of sunburn and bug bites and the fact that like us, the uniform is part of your PPE).

The ICU has a Telescoping sleeve design so they don't have to be rolled any more.  This is how it was shown on the powerpoint that is floating around on.

Tollis said:
The ICU has a Telescoping sleeve design so they don't have to be rolled any more.  This is how it was shown on the powerpoint that is floating around on.

Very true, forgot about that... a telescoping sleeve design, so sliding up your sleeves like a hoody?  I can feel the shudders from the dress regs already :)

Tollis said:

Fancy. I never saw that.

CanadianTire said:
Fancy. I never saw that.

ICU.jpg

Ah, yes. I remember seeing that once, but smaller so I couldn't really make out how the sleeves looked.

Good2Golf said:
It looks like rolling up the sleeves is next to impossible, though, with the velcro -- not a fan of that, since I prefer to roll my sleeves up.
Personally, and no offence to anyone I hope, but I've always considered rolled up sleeves a practice best left to support trades and reservists. ;)

DirtyDog said:
Personally, and no offence to anyone I hope, but I've always considered rolled up sleeves a practice best left to support trades and reservists. ;)

As a former support trade reservist, ouch!  ;)

I found in some situations I was more comfortable with sleeves rolled up, and others more comfortable (& protected) with them down.     

DirtyDog said:

Haha...were you around in the "Olden Days" of winter and summer dress when it was dictated that "thou shalt roll up your sleeves on May 15, and not one day before" and "thou shalt roll down your sleeves on 15 September"? And it didn't matter what the weather was like.

We didn't have much of a choice.

Back