• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Bzzliteyr said:
As well, the pen pockets on the arms were very oddly designed and I am still trying to figure out who conceptualized the "2/3 velcro opening that isn't as large as the velcro and doesn't make it easy to get a pen in to the outermost hole" design but I'm not surprised. Maybe it's fullfilling teh "Canadian content" portion of the uniform?

We never had "pen pockets" on our old cbts; although that is what we used them for.  They were for the NBC injectors, were they not? 

Bzzliteyr said:
I have removed both and the nametag and side panels everytime I have washed the ICU top and they have stayed nice and straight, no wavy names tags for this cat!!

You never did that with previous iterations of the uniform velcro tags?

I think the pocket was for the personal dosimeter.  The pen shaped one, name eludes me. The disc on dog tags was the DT60 IIRC. 

George Wallace said:
We never had "pen pockets" on our old cbts; although that is what we used them for.  They were for the NBC injectors, were they not? 

You never did that with previous iterations of the uniform velcro tags?

You know darn well everyone has inadvertantly done the old "nametag in the wash" thing..

Eye In The Sky said:
I think the pocket was for the personal dosimeter.  The pen shaped one, name eludes me. The disc on dog tags was the DT60 IIRC.

IM-9/PD Pocket Dosimeter

George Wallace said:
I would also smell the washer before putting my next load in.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed that whoever before me who used the wash understood the directions of the detergent products they were using. How silly of me. Lol

(I guess I've posted enough now that the stupid letters aren't here anymore. This is pretty cool!)

Read all 41 pages of this post and would like to add my observations:

Just exchanged some older combats shirts and got 2x sets of the ICU. I actually went down a size due to the fit of the chest area, the elastic on the sides and the "action back" in the shoulder area. The converged combats that I turned in and the remaining one set I have are bigger in the chest to allow for my shoulders.

For those that think they will get the ICU soon, the supply tech said some sizes show hundreds left in stock. It is a hit and miss depending on your size. Clothing a stores can't order the new sizes until the current stock is exhausted.

The ICU like most new uniforms are stiff and ruff to the skin. Washing over time will fix this. As I have 2x new style pants issued in the last few months that are new (never worn) and 2 new style shirts, for the first time in 4-5 years I'm fortunate to have a uniform top and bottom, that match.

Now hopefully they fade at the same rate.....

For those that think I will be sporting the ICU now I will not be. I work at a place that doesn't have immediate access to clothing and my ICU was shipped to me and it appears the supply tech forgot to issue me the flags and rank so I can't even wear them. I called the sup tech and he said he is gonna mail it out to me. So maybe in a week or two.

My 2 cents

After trying to do in-routine at my new base and talking to someone for about 10 mins before realizing he didn't actually work there, it dawned on me why the Aussies have unit (or section) patches on their working uniforms.  That would have cleared it up right quick.

As I'm fairly new in the army, I've had to make a few trips to my clothing stores in recent months to dial in my correct size for combat tunic and pants. In the end, I've found the right sizes, and was issued 3 brand new pairs of 'new style' pants and 3 quite worn 'old style' tunics. I have a pretty bad mismatch going on, not only because of new and old styles, but also because tops are worn and discoloured while the bottoms are in mint condition. It looks unprofessional. And in the future, I'll probably have to replace tunics sooner than pants, and end up with an opposite problem - new tunics and worn out pants.

Now... I am not one to make a fashion show out of my service in the military, but I do take dress seriously. I think looking neat and professional has significance, especially in the army, especially in public. Anyway, I've tried asking clothing stores to issue me new combat tunics but they've declined, saying mine are still serviceable. Is this a common issue? Are there any other ways to get new combats? Should I start making connections? Is it difficult across Canada to get the right kit? Thanks.

Yes, you aren't unique, the problem you have is what many troops are facing across the country.

To exchange combats they usually have to be faded to a certain extent(some clothing stores may have an example) or damaged. If your combats are truely in poor repair and faded a great extent and clothing will not exchange it, speak with your CoC.

LightFighter said:
Yes, you aren't unique, the problem you have is what many troops are facing across the country.

To exchange combats they usually have to be faded to a certain extent(some clothing stores may have an example) or damaged. If your combats are truely in poor repair and faded a great extent and clothing will not exchange it, speak with your CoC.

Now there is also a little differentiation that has to be made here.  Faded is one thing and not necessarily cause for exchange.  'SEE THROUGH' is a totally different thing, and cause to have item exchanged.    [:D

Gunshark said:
As I'm fairly new in the army, I've had to make a few trips to my clothing stores in recent months to dial in my correct size for combat tunic and pants. In the end, I've found the right sizes, and was issued 3 brand new pairs of 'new style' pants and 3 quite worn 'old style' tunics. I have a pretty bad mismatch going on, not only because of new and old styles, but also because tops are worn and discoloured while the bottoms are in mint condition. It looks unprofessional. And in the future, I'll probably have to replace tunics sooner than pants, and end up with an opposite problem - new tunics and worn out pants.

Now... I am not one to make a fashion show out of my service in the military, but I do take dress seriously. I think looking neat and professional has significance, especially in the army, especially in public. Anyway, I've tried asking clothing stores to issue me new combat tunics but they've declined, saying mine are still serviceable. Is this a common issue? Are there any other ways to get new combats? Should I start making connections? Is it difficult across Canada to get the right kit? Thanks.
Combat Clothing comes in 4 inch increments.

So if you're a 32, you're either going to get 30 or 34. There's no "dialling in" sizes unless it is egregiously big (or small).

LunchMeat said:
Combat Clothing comes in 4 inch increments.

So if you're a 32, you're either going to get 30 or 34. There's no "dialling in" sizes unless it is egregiously big (or small).

Agreed. What I meant was, because sizing has two parts - length and width - it took some time wearing the items to actually determine the correct size combinations for each. All comes with experience.

Back