• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]

Don't count on not running or rucksack marching just by taking a different trade.  Once you past your initial training and you're qualified whatever you may not do PT much, if at all, at your reserve unit but when you go away on a course you may run into pt (see what I did there?).
Generally on reserve courses and taskings you won't have enough time alloted to PT to do a 10km run (and 10% will show up being able to do that) but you might get a jerk like me who would bring people out for PT after work if they're crappy.

Not sure what to say about the chits. Yes if you get a mountain of them then you can probably get punted. That said there's also shitheads that show up on a course and before day 2 starts they've already ran to the base hospital to get a chit saying they can't do any PT for the duration of the tasking/course.  Weak chains of command will just say screw it and not want to deal with it.

Gunshark said:
$490 for a pair of insoles?..
Yea man that's probably cheap. I'm sure there's insoles out there that cost $800 or $1000. It's all insurance smoke and mirrors.

Flat feet arent a problem, I have very flat feet and have lasted 33 years in the Army. I have Sole brand insoles in my boots/shoes and they are only 50 bucks. Do exercises to strengthen your arches and practice running and ruck marches and you will be fine.

mikegf6 said:
I'm not looking to fake any injuries but I am flat footed and that is the main reason for issues with running. I told the medical officer at my medical exam about my flat feet and the issues with my knees and I guess I was still fit for the trade.....

You may find these discussions of interest,

Flat feet
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+flat+feet&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=OeKzVqOVF6qC8Qeh55noBw&gws_rd=ssl

Jarnhamar said:
Don't count on not running or rucksack marching just by taking a different trade.  Once you past your initial training and you're qualified whatever you may not do PT much, if at all, at your reserve unit but when you go away on a course you may run into pt (see what I did there?).
Generally on reserve courses and taskings you won't have enough time alloted to PT to do a 10km run (and 10% will show up being able to do that) but you might get a jerk like me who would bring people out for PT after work if they're crappy.
Just to anchor what Jarnhamar said.

I'm a sig, we seldom ruck, especially with the removal of the BFT. Typically we drive or are driven everywhere. 

That being said my WW (winter warfare) that I did this year was awesome, it was with 4 units (1x inf, 1x arty, 1x medic, 1x sigs). I had a hell of a time. We got to ruck 9km during day in the snow with snowshoes and pulling sleds for tent groups. Then at night we got to do more recees and patrols. We then walked back (shorter route) the following day, and then walked back out the next day and then walked back the next morning.

It was the most PT I've done (with the army) especially with the winter in awhile but I had a lot of fun. This weekend I'm doing a similar gig as a preparation for an ex in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it. I also had an ex where I showed up expecting to be in a company cp for the weekend. As soon as I showed up I was told "we don't need you as a sig, want a c6?" It was pretty sweet.

Even if you aren't infantry you need to be in good shape as you never know what will happen.

Jarnhamar said:
Not sure what to say about the chits. Yes if you get a mountain of them then you can probably get punted. That said there's also shitheads that show up on a course and before day 2 starts they've already ran to the base hospital to get a chit saying they can't do any PT for the duration of the tasking/course.  Weak chains of command will just say screw it and not want to deal with it.

On the courses that I've attended i've found that it really depends on both the tempo of the course/time allotted for said course/instructors.

On my weekend basic we had a guy with crutches for a few weeks
On my SQ (BMQ-L) anyone who got any sort of chit was RTU-ED within 3 days. We had one guy who tried to "fake" his way out of PT he was "this" close to getting RTU'ed and then magically was 100%.
On my Dp 1.0 (Sigs) We had the odd temporary chit here or there but nothing permanent. No one got RTUed.

I've heard with PLQ recently they changed it and if you get a chit that takes you out of the field for 24 hours you are gone.

As always it depends and your mileage may vary. 

A run is the easiest thing to plan requiring no effort to organize.  You will do it.  A lot.

Kat Stevens said:
A run is the easiest thing to plan requiring no effort to organize.  You will do it.  A lot.

I don't mind doing it, in regards to my "situation" however it's about how intense it is.

runormal said:
Just to anchor what Jarnhamar said.

I'm a sig, we seldom ruck, especially with the removal of the BFT. Typically we drive or are driven everywhere. 

That being said my WW (winter warfare) that I did this year was awesome, it was with 4 units (1x inf, 1x arty, 1x medic, 1x sigs). I had a hell of a time. We got to ruck 9km during day in the snow with snowshoes and pulling sleds for tent groups. Then at night we got to do more recees and patrols. We then walked back (shorter route) the following day, and then walked back out the next day and then walked back the next morning.

It was the most PT I've done (with the army) especially with the winter in awhile but I had a lot of fun. This weekend I'm doing a similar gig as a preparation for an ex in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it. I also had an ex where I showed up expecting to be in a company cp for the weekend. As soon as I showed up I was told "we don't need you as a sig, want a c6?" It was pretty sweet.

Even if you aren't infantry you need to be in good shape as you never know what will happen.

On the courses that I've attended i've found that it really depends on both the tempo of the course/time allotted for said course/instructors.

On my weekend basic we had a guy with crutches for a few weeks
On my SQ (BMQ-L) anyone who got any sort of chit was RTU-ED within 3 days. We had one guy who tried to "fake" his way out of PT he was "this" close to getting RTU'ed and then magically was 100%.
On my Dp 1.0 (Sigs) We had the odd temporary chit here or there but nothing permanent. No one got RTUed.

I've heard with PLQ recently they changed it and if you get a chit that takes you out of the field for 24 hours you are gone.

As always it depends and your mileage may vary.

So you are saying I could get RTUED for getting one chit? That seems a little unfair don't you think? Depending on the chit of course. Even if you had a chit for your beard? ::)

If you get a chit that makes you miss a PC, and is long enough to make you miss the allotted time for retests, you can be medically RTU'd. Certain PCs might require you spend X amount of time in a field environment, if you miss that time, they can't make it up and you're gone.

It's all how much you want it. My ring finger is permanently offset at the knuckle after I hammered a 3 foot picket into the ground with my hand on my PLQ. I convinced the medic I didn't need an X-ray and finished the remaining 4 days. The staff have seen who is faking injuries before, it's not their first rodeo.

mikegf6 said:
So you are saying I could get RTUED for getting one chit? That seems a little unfair don't you think? Depending on the chit of course. Even if you had a chit for your beard? ::)

Based on the examples I provided, yes.. Yes you could, as always it depends.

Problem was with SQ we had 4.5 weeks or so of training time. 2.5 weeks was class room while then were was 4 days in the field, 2 days off and followed by 5 more days in the field. I think a day off and then a day or two of admin. Other than weapons, all PC's where in the field. One candidate did break their ankle on the last day of the field portion but had passed all the PC's so they kept said candidate on. If you were "broken" in the middle of week 2, you weren't going to be ready for the field. So bam, RTU'ed. However on my basic it was mainly in the classroom and on weekends so the staff were a tad more lenient with chits as there was more time for injuries to heal.

As for fairness.. life isn't fair and the sooner you get that through your head the easier time you will have.

I'm just a little confused, you know that you are going on course, and you think you have a medical problem. Why don't you sort this out before you go on course instead of chancing it with chits?

runormal said:
Based on the examples I provided, yes.. Yes you could, as always it depends.

Problem was with SQ we had 4.5 weeks or so of training time. 2.5 weeks was class room while then were was 4 days in the field, 2 days off and followed by 5 more days in the field. I think a day off and then a day or two of admin. Other than weapons, all PC's where in the field. One candidate did break their ankle on the last day of the field portion but had passed all the PC's so they kept said candidate on. If you were "broken" in the middle of week 2, you weren't going to be ready for the field. So bam, RTU'ed. However on my basic it was mainly in the classroom and on weekends so the staff were a tad more lenient with chits as there was more time for injuries to heal.

As for fairness.. life isn't fair and the sooner you get that through your head the easier time you will have.

I'm just a little confused, you know that you are going on course, and you think you have a medical problem. Why don't you sort this out before you go on course instead of chancing it with chits?

Thanks for the information, but I am seeing my doctor and trying to get around this as soon as possible. I of course am not wanting to take my chances with chits not fake injuries. Basically I find my only issue in regards to pain and my flat feet, is running LONG distances. Well, long in my point of view. Got a example, I can survive a 5km and complete it with a lot of pain. Maybe I can hit 6km if I REALLY try.

Instead of getting a mountain of chits, if the issue still present at the level that it is, Im not looking to get chits but to try my best during the run and if I get jacked up for not being in formation then I'll TRY to get in formation.

Not all reservists fake injuries or don't try!!  :salute:

runormal

Please stop posting advice here.  Your experiences demonstrated here DO NOT reflect all courses.  In fact I would not hesitate to say that your experience so far in the PRes is the exception, not the rule.

I got in '89.  In '92, I hurt my back pretty bad (L4/L5, L5/S1).  I was still able to do all the required PT (wasn't Infantry but was Cbt Arms) including the 13 km BFT (and versions of it prior to the BFT).  I was able to do patrolling, section attacks, all the normal 'field stuff' with everyone else.  I did my Combat Leaders Course the year after my injury;  no issues.  Before I left for the blue side of the CAF around '07, I did the BFT one last time.  I was able to shuttle run on and off and did it just under 2 hours or so IIRC.  Not too shabby for a 'getting older' guy with a bad back, orthotics and years of smoking a pack a day.

I was only able to do everything from '92 onwards because I trained my body for those activities.  I was never CANSOFCOM fit or anything but I wasn't a Waddling Waldo either.  Sitting on the couch worrying will not help your body one single bit.  Get up and train, and train smart.

Train your body and your mind will follow.  Good luck on your course this summer.

mikegf6 said:

What's not fair is everyone showing up for military training thinking they're special, deserve special treatment and the silly rules shouldn't apply to them. People convince themselves of their self-diagnosed medical conditions then spend the whole time trying to get out of doing physical work.

Many people chronically abuse the chit system. The new system and approach to RTUing people for abusing it is ****ing great.

George Wallace said:
runormal

Please stop posting advice here.  Your experiences demonstrated here DO NOT reflect all courses.  In fact I would not hesitate to say that your experience so far in the PRes is the exception, not the rule.

Runormal's experience with the reserves would be more current than ours however.

Jarnhamar said:
Runormal's experience with the reserves would be more current than ours however.

Not necessarily, I deal with P.Res training mainly at the Trades Course level his experiences are not necessarily the norm....

George Wallace said:
runormal

I can confirm that runormal's posts, at least in this particular thread, are consistent with what I've observed personally and post-RTU with my troops.

Brasidas said:
I can confirm that runormal's posts, at least in this particular thread, are consistent with what I've observed personally and post-RTU with my troops.

I am not saying what his posts are totally out to lunch and wrong.  I am saying that his experiences may be the exception to the rule.  My interpretation of what he has posted was that he was stating that what he experienced IS THE NORM.  In that case it is very misleading.

Hey,
Does anyone happen to know if they are going on course possibly this coming Monday April 4th reserves? Also it's under the battle school. I think 32 battle school.
Apparently the serial is a co-op course and I was told that my chain of command sent up our names but there is a chance that we might not be on the course. If anything they said they should know by Sunday.

Hoping to know a few things, if it's this common to find out a course the day before it starts and if there are no spots available? For example what if I could only go for the April course and not the June, wouldn't that mean I couldn't get fully dp1 qualified for another year?

Back