• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Vehicles

How niche is Taiwan's situation? Seems like it might be a good fit for a dense country with a good road network wanting a rapid-reaction tool.
Modern tanks can run rapidly on good roads but wheeled DFS vehicles can't work well when there is major rubble as in built up areas or the rugged countryside or soft agricultural fields that make up much of the Taiwanese countryside.

Sorry, but I'm a dyed in the wool "track" guy. Tracks trump wheels every time the terrain gets tough - and it will get tough.

🍻

Modern tanks can run rapidly on good roads but wheeled DFS vehicles can't work well when there is major rubble as in built up areas or the rugged countryside or soft agricultural fields that make up much of the Taiwanese countryside.

Sorry, but I'm a dyed in the wool "track" guy. Tracks trump wheels every time the terrain gets tough - and it will get tough.

🍻
Agreed.

Wheels are great in a PSO/COIN environment, where you have a lot more freedom of movement administratively.

Tracks are for when you absolutely need to push through, damn the consequences.

You can tell where our focus has been for the last 30 years.

If China gets into the country a 105mm isn’t what one wants.
Copy. Absolutely not my field, and just guessing at something that might make sense.

Seems like the Japanese might be a good source for tanks, if they'll sell abroad, given similar geography and proximity.

🍻

Sorry, not sorry.

Wheels for wheels and tracks for tracks.

Wheels can dominate the areas between the fights, securing rear, flanks and uncontested fronts. We have a wheeled force. Strengthen said wheeled force with wheeled DFS, SPAAGs, SAMs, SPHs and Mortars.

Your heavy assault force should be on tracks with low loaders and bridging gear.

And I will continue to argue for an amphibious component to the wheeled element for route recce.

Copy. Absolutely not my field, and just guessing at something that might make sense.

Seems like the Japanese might be a good source for tanks, if they'll sell abroad, given similar geography and proximity.
Taiwan ordered 108 M1's but I guess still plan on using the M60 for most areas. The K2 or Type 10 probably would have been good weight wise

Since I think we've generally agreed that wheeled DFS vehicles like the US MGS are definitely NOT tanks I'm posting these here:

So at least the Italians and Taiwanese continue to see the value in wheeled DFS vehicles to support their infantry.

In light of what we're seeing in Ukraine do people see a DFS capability like this as a worthwhile investment for our LAV Battalions?
That’s not how the Italians or Japanese employ them. The Italians use them in heavy cavalry regiments and the Japanese actually do call the type 16 a tank. In either way it’s not an infantry vehicle. The Italians use them for reconnaissance while the Japanese see them as a fast reaction alternative in mountainous terrain.

Logistically, maintenence, and interoperability wise it makes more sense to just go with what the US uses.

How about a few more of these:
240_mm_howitzer_m1_1368179943_1368179955.jpg

not to deviate this thread away from Coastal Artillery to much, but I thought looking at how France is resigning its infantry would lead to some interesting discussion.

Back