• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview advice (merged)

When I rejoined as a Med A in '95, my recruiting officer told me to expect to be posted to a field unit.  Just about everyone else on my QL3 course was pretty much told they'd go to clinics and do actual medical work.  Were they "legitimately screwed" over?  No.  Were they misled?  Yes.  Would there be a redress of any sort for that?  I doubt it as I'm sure they were also told they could go to a field unit.  Just not in the same way that I was told.

V Olive

I’m at odds (maybe I’m missing something here) as to why you didn’t seek unofficial consultation (internally or externally) with other CFRC personnel … Was there something more specifically to your experience that led you to believe that other personnel were not approachable for consultation? You mentioned not getting any answers from Halifax – did you mean from the recruiting officer or with other personnel as well?  Did you feel that the local CFRC as a whole fell short? For example, were there other communications along the way with this individual or others, that didn’t sit well with you, prior to filing your complaint?  Did you feel approaching another Recruiting Officer might negatively impact your recruitment process?  How/when did you come to realize that the Recruiting Officer was incorrect about officer positions being closed?

This is not intended to judge your decision. I was hoping you could provide some clarity surrounding your individual circumstances, which might help other recruits make informed decisions. 

ET

Ergotracer said:
V Olive

I’m at odds (maybe I’m missing something here) as to why you didn’t seek unofficial consultation (internally or externally) with other CFRC personnel … Was there something more specifically to your experience that led you to believe that other personnel were not approachable for consultation? You mentioned not getting any answers from Halifax – did you mean from the recruiting officer or with other personnel as well?  Did you feel that the local CFRC as a whole fell short? For example, were there other communications along the way with this individual or others, that didn’t sit well with you, prior to filing your complaint?  Did you feel approaching another Recruiting Officer might negatively impact your recruitment process?  How/when did you come to realize that the Recruiting Officer was incorrect about officer positions being closed?

This is not intended to judge your decision. I was hoping you could provide some clarity surrounding your individual circumstances, which might help other recruits make informed decisions. 

ET

You can't choose to follow those options unless you are aware they exist and understand how to access them.

It is very possible that the original poster was left under the understanding that the CFRC decisions was final as far as dealing with the CFRC was concerned.  The CF/DND can appear to be a rather imposing monolith to outsiders, without visible access points for redress.  In such a case, in trying to discover options of appeal, the mention of a letter to the Minister does get suggested in such circumstances.

ComdCFRG said:
Nor are mistakes automatically incompetence or abuse

By all means, no.

In reviewing my post, I was not clear enough, and was referring to more extreme situations with which I have had to deal - none of which involved recruiters.

My recent experience with a recruiting centre was rather humorous. I CTed back into the Reg F last June after almost ten years as a Happy Reservist. I had already spoken to the Pilot career manager and established that I would definitely be staying at 400 Squadron before trotting in to see the recruiters. The nice sergeant was a bit flustered by that. My original aptitude test was missing from my pers file, and he insisted that I re-write it. I was wearing my flying suit at the time and pointed to my wings and opined that they were perhaps a better indicator of my aptitude. The career counsellor verified that there was no need to repeat it given my background. I was disappointed by that - I had decided to fail it just to see what their reaction would be. Sometimes being a special case is fun.

ArmyVern said:
Wow Templeton,

Exaggerating?

You've turned a comment about "people who whine to higher ups every time they don't get their own way" into a supposed tirade about

Reservists,
Amputees,

And made him out to be just someone "who wants to stomp on everyone."

Talk about tirades; go speak with the man in the mirror.

Is that really what you took from what I wrote? Maybe your jeans are a little too tight Vern? I was just saying the man had the right to complain as his situation seemed to warrant it. I was being a little facetious, and I am sorry if that didn't translate too well in written form. Thanks for stomping on me though!

I just knew I should have foregone the extra space taken up by the underwear.

Hi all,

Just passed the CFAT for Int Officer (btw, the CFAT is tough!) and am sitting for the interview on Apr 7th.

Been reading the postings on intelligence officers or operators here and also the forces.ca. I take it that the career is:
- analytical
- have a keen sense in Geography and History
- detail oriented

Are there any tips on how I can further prepare myself for the upcoming interview?

Just watch all the videos out there about your job. Read all the info you can find about the trainings, the type of things you will do etc. Just soak up all the info you find. The more you know the better.
I think it depends on the interviewer but I used the interview prep form and it really helped me during my interview, glad I used it!

Closest thread i could find to suit my question.
9 months ago i was told at my interview that i could re-open my application with the army after 6 months had past. Was given a few suggestions on what to do in the mean time to make my application better for the re-opening.

Went in today, and mentioned to the man at the desk that i was wanting to re-open my application, and all i got was mostly the same forms i filled out last time given to me to fill out again.

So Two questions, One is this the normal for reopening applications?
Secondly, the reference sheet for backcheck i got this time is different from the one i did earlier, this one asks for five references that have known me for Five years(or since 16.)? As opposed to the "One who has known you five years, and two that have known you for greater then 6 months" that i received last time.
Curious if i maybe got an old form or its a new form.

Which brings up another question, if it is indeed the correct form to be filled out, is it acceptable to have references who have known me less then 5 years on there?(Been working during my wait to re-open time, and got some new references there that i was hoping to be able to use.)

Thanks any insight you could provide, since i i am kinda shocked at having to just do what i did when i first applied to re-open my application.

Scfs123, I can't speak to the issue of reopening applications, but the BackCheck requirement has indeed changed.  You're going to need five references who have each known you at least five years / since 16.

In my case, this changed requirement led to lower-quality references.  I moved cities for university, so there is almost no overlap between the people who knew me five years ago and the people who know me today.  The CF will be judging my suitability based on people who have barely had any contact with me for years, rather than the employers and colleagues I've had since then.

Ok so I am going to try this again. My last thread had been locked because one of my questions was already answered in another thread, leaving my other more important questions without answer or chance of being answered (Thanks Recceguy lol) Although i should have searched first  :nod:. So here it goes, I was wondering what kind of stuff they ask at the enrollment interview? This makes me very nervous, also if I fail this can I do it again? or is it a one shot deal? And yes I did do a search of this several times with no results for my questions.

You do your interview regarding your first trade choice. (and yes that has been answered a hundred times in this forum...) they will ask questions regarding your knowledge of the trade you chose. Make sure you can provide specific examples and experiences that demonstrate that you have the qualities to do that job.

The HR officer can decide that you are not qualified enough or that you do not have the qualities that they are looking for in regards to your trade choices. The officer might recommend you another trade choice. If you are closed to changing your trade and that you fail the interview you may reapply in a year.

If you have made three reasonable choices, your future is in your hands, make sure you are properly prepared and properly dressed... and that you can show them that you know what the job is, and why you want to do that, and why you have the qualities that they are looking for... etc... 

Do not be so nervous, it mostly depends on you and your own preparation for this interview.

Good luck

KodyN202 said:
So here it goes, I was wondering what kind of stuff they ask at the enrollment interview? This makes me very nervous, also if I fail this can I do it again? or is it a one shot deal? And yes I did do a search of this several times with no results for my questions.

Search for:
Interview,
reapply, or
interview questions

Each of those searches will provide a page worth of reading on those topics.

......and locked again. You're welcome.

Searching from the main page doesn't give you many options. It's best if you can narrow your search by using the advanced search screen.

Milnet.ca Staff

i have booked a interview on real short notice, Ive applied for artillery. I was hoping someone could give me a heads up for it, they haven't told me much on what to expect during the interview.

As we are required not to tell you the questions they asked... I can tell you that i found it very helpful to fill this out and memorize it.
http://www.metisnation.ca/Aboriginal_Employment/pdfs/Interview_preparing.pdf

Dress Nice, Look even better.

I found that pdf a few days before I went for my interview.
I filled it out then memorized it. It definitely help me during that portion of the process.

Like Lando said, we can't talk about the questions.
However, this document is a great guide. Remember the CFAT sample test
that was given to you. Well this is a similar tool that you can use to prepare
yourself for the interview.

My  :2c:

HI ALL: I am sure this question has been asked many times before...i tried to find a topic but there are so many...so I do appologize if it is repeat....Finally, I have my medical and interview next week...Couple of questions:
1. Interview dress code: smart casual or suit and tie???
2. Medical: I am applying for nursing officer position..should i bring imminuzation records with me from the hospital I work at???
3. I know you cannot prepare for the interview but is there anything you guys would recommend to look at? any reading materials or something like that???...Thank you in advance...

1. site:army.ca interview dress officer

First returned thread:

At the very least, wear clean, respectable business casual clothing for NCM applications, and a business suit for officer applications. But, you can never go wrong wearing a power suit, regardless of your trade or career path.

2. Immunization book - should not be needed for the medical, though it will not hurt to have a copy.  You will need a copy of the records for your basic course, otherwise you may get shots you don't need.

3. site:army.ca interview prepare officer

Fifth return:

OK, here's a brief statement regarding Officer applications. This is from my perspective, drawing upon my experience as a Res unit Recruiting Officer. I hope this helps a few people.

Resume and Cover-letter:

First off, know the position you are applying for, and do some research on the unit, job qualifications, etcl.

Then, write a proper business cover-letter and resume that highlights your skills and experiences as they relate to the Canadian Forces and the unit and TRADE you are applying. You should also identify why you want to become and officer and why you would make a good officer. You need to think about these things, and then articulate them in writing.

Some units have the option of being choosy. So, like any other businesses, if you just throw together a resume and cover-letter with a few tidbits about how you worked at the arcade or the mall, and not put much thought into it, chances are you won't get that far.

Basically, treat the application to the CF as you would any other business job. It's all about presentation and professionalism.

Reasons for Joining:
There are lots of good reasons for joining the CF.

However, in my experience, unless your dad or grampa was the CO of the unit you are joining, than mentioning that your grampa fought in WWII will have little bearing on your application. In fact, the application is all about you, not what your dad, grampa, uncle, cousin, aunt, or mum did.

Focus on what YOU -- as a person -- can offer the unit and the CF and what the CF will offer you in return.

Interviews:

Again, do some research on the unit and the type of trade you are applying for. For example, if you want to be an Infantry Officer, than do some reading, and find out what Infantry Officers do in the field. Don't come in with a romantic vision of the Officer Corp and talk endlessly about sipping tea with the upper classes and measuring lines of sight with umbrellas. Find out as much as you can about tactics and strategy, job descriptions and responsibilities, and the overall goals of the CF.

Show that you have a real interest in the unit and the military in general.

And, make sure you can talk about it in an interview.

Please try working the search harder, you will have to try very hard to come up with a question that has not been covered before.

Anton1981 said:
HI ALL: I am sure this question has been asked many times before...i tried to find a topic but there are so many...so I do appologize if it is repeat....Finally, I have my medical and interview next week...Couple of questions:
1. Interview dress code: smart casual or suit and tie???
2. Medical: I am applying for nursing officer position..should i bring imminuzation records with me from the hospital I work at???
3. I know you cannot prepare for the interview but is there anything you guys would recommend to look at? any reading materials or something like that???...Thank you in advance...

OK.  You scare me.  You are applying to become an officer and you couldn't even plunk "Interview" into that little box marked SEARCH and find all of these posts (8 pages) that I merged with your question?  The very first topic on the list of topics I found was "Interview and Medical".  I am sure if I were to type "Dress" into that SEARCH box in any of the RECRUITING forums I would also find a long list of topics on what to wear to an interview.  If I were to do the same for "Medical" I would also find a long list of topics covering what to wear, what to bring, etc. to a Medical. 

Could you be so kind as to tell me through which Education System you have managed to progress?  I am truly curious.

And just to be nice, I will continue to amalgamate all the "INTERVIEW" topics in one place just for you.

Back