• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview advice (merged)

I've just been through the process you've described, might have some insight (Was accepted for DEO Infantry about a month ago):

Definitely do the PDF questions - While the interview may or may not resemble it, the insights you gain through doing it will be invaluable for your interview. Take your time to really think about them, and have good solid answers.

Armoured is now closed (there were only 3 spots left when I applied, and the website no longer lists it as accepting applications - if yours is still in the running for those positions (if any are left), it will be less then three) - Take this into consideration when you start doing your research into which Officer trade you want to prepare most for (for the interview). These boards are an amazing resource for information regarding the Infantry (Take a look for anything Technoviking in particular has written - very good stuff). Depending on your recruitment center, there may be someone to answer your questions "in house".

You may or may not need to show a cover letter or a resume - but would you really go into any interview without one? Focus on what sets you apart from other applicants - they already have more then they need and are looking for something that sets you apart from everyone else. Dress nice, be well groomed, etc - standard interview protocol.

Most of this can be found in greater detail in those "older threads" and most of the information is still valid. If you had any questions I'd be happy to talk in greater detail via PM.

Good luck! Hopefully your medical goes well!

Sample2K7 said:
I believe it means your priority level. During my application process that I went through recently for infantry your application is assigned a rank or level 1 to 5. I was told by my recruiter that infantry, due to it being competitive, requires at least a 4. It just ranks your application according to education, work history, volunteer work, etc and they assign you a priority level. This determines how quickly they will process your application and contact you for interviews, medical tests, etc.

I'm not 100% sure thats what your looking for, this is just what I encountered during my own application

Confirmed...it stands for "Priority of Processing", and it's as a result of the small numbers being recruited.  Your file needs to meet a certain threshold with regard to the items Sample2K7 mentioned or it simply won't be processed further.  Congrats on bumping it up!

Hey Ayrsayle... thanks for the reply.  I was wondering about the CL and Resume because they are already going to know a lot about me already, and was just wondering if I really needed to.  Maybe I'll write it up and post and get some feedback... ;)  Congrats on being accepted!  How long was your processing? (just curious, I know everyone can be different).  My RC is Barrie, so, no one there I can speak to directly, hence why the desk Sgt referred me to Petawawa, as there wouldn't be a lot of infantry types in Borden. It would have been nice to speak to someone face to face though.

I figured on the standard protocols... any specific advice?

Thanks to you too, astecki!

Hello everyone !

My name is Nicholas;

I am seventeen years of age, and I have been looking into joining the Canadian Forces. I have already been looking into this for months, and I have been in constant contact with the Forces and their Officials in St. Johns, NL, Canada. They already have all of my application forms, and everything required to get started. I put my name into several courses within the CF. These include Vehicle Tech/Marine Engineering Tech/WENG Tech. I have much interest into these trades, and have been looking forward to going to St John's on the 9th of May.

When I go in their center at 7:45AM, I have to write the test at 8:00AM. Soon after writing the test, I have to get a medical, and then the interview. This is the part that I am most worried about. The person on the phone told me to know as much as possible about my trade picks, and talk to them why I am interested in joining the CF, and why I am interested in these specific trades.

Can someone please give me more information on my picks? Possibly someone already enlisted in the CF? I am looking for a lot of constructive criticism as an addition to my knowledge. I want to know as much as possible before I go to the recruitment center.

Thanks a lot everyone :). Looking forward to any tips, advice, or information.
-Nicholas

ChemZero said:
Can someone please give me more information on my picks?

If you have been "looking into this for months", what have you been doing ?

Although I am not currently in one of the trades you are looking into, I am an applicant as well. Were you given any information on preparing for your interview? There is a link for this within this site, it gives you questions that you should know the answers to when looking into your trade. The other part to this, is that you want to make yourself familiar with training for both the CF and your specific trade. Make sure you know how long training is, where your training takes place, and if you can, when they might run your training courses. There is a great deal of information on the Forces website that can help you with this.  I would also say Google your trades, but that can be your friend and enemy.

The other part I would stress is remember to prepare for your CFAT! The math section can be tough for people, so it does go a long way to practice questions for that. (When I was first told this, I thought really? But I was so glad that I did, it was a great help)

I don't know how much help this has been, but I hope you do well and good luck!

ChemZero said:
Can someone please give me more information on my picks?

In addition to what is on the CF website, here is some information on what appears to be your first pick, Vehicle Technician:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/73054/post-702321.html#msg702321

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ie=UTF-8&q=vehicle+technician&sa=Search&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ref=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=vehicle%20technician&gsc.page=1

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,57.0.html

Thanks a lot for the helpful tips and links guys ! I am actually going to prepare a speech on paper, and read it out to the mirror. Going to help improve my charismatic aspects a little bit. I will practice what I say, so that I will come off as professional as possible. I will let you guys know how it goes ! Thanks.

With the amount of effort you appear to be making rest assured you will come across as a very desirable applicant. Good luck.

Thanks a lot ! I have been working my ass off all year to keep up my honors average. I have also been keeping in touch with the staff at the CF. So I am hoping that this work will pay off in the long run.

ChemZero said:
Can someone please give me more information on my picks? Possibly someone already enlisted in the CF? I am looking for a lot of constructive criticism as an addition to my knowledge. I want to know as much as possible before I go to the recruitment center.

Search this site using your trades as keywords, use google, go to the forces website and read the job descriptions.  The CF prefers people who are self reliant and can find information themselves. 

Hatchet Man said:
Search this site using your trades as keywords, use google, go to the forces website and read the job descriptions.  The CF prefers people who are self reliant and can find information themselves.

What he said.

I am growing tired of people failing to search and asking to be spoon fed.

Must be something in the air this afternoon - I sense another merge coming.....

Milnet.ca Staff

Hello, I have my interview coming up soon and was wondering about the questions having to do with the trade choices I've made that the interviewer may ask.  Should I be researching my first trade choice only for the interview?  Or will they question me on all of the trades that I had applied for?

Thanks,

Nick

Research all of your choices, it never hurts to be completly prepared for an interview. Besides, you should have a good knowledge of all the trades you chose because any of those could become your new career.

Okay, I'm sorry guys, but I am applying for the Reserves, and my interview was incredibly basic. It probably didn't take more than 20 minutes and my recruiter literally asked me questions off a sheet of paper. I was prepared for a long interview where they asked me lots of personal questions, but it was probably the easiest part of the application process. Is it different for Reserve/Regular or what? I was really jazzed up to do well on this interview, I had my answers all mapped out in my head, I had the timing down and everything, and I basically answered "yes" and "no" and then signed some documents.

-2ndChoiceName

2ndChoiceName said:
Okay, I'm sorry guys, but I am applying for the Reserves, and my interview was incredibly basic. It probably didn't take more than 20 minutes and my recruiter literally asked me questions off a sheet of paper. I was prepared for a long interview where they asked me lots of personal questions, but it was probably the easiest part of the application process. Is it different for Reserve/Regular or what? I was really jazzed up to do well on this interview, I had my answers all mapped out in my head, I had the timing down and everything, and I basically answered "yes" and "no" and then signed some documents.

-2ndChoiceName

Had my interview last week for DEO Pilot, it took about 2 hours and interviewed by two officers, so yes, it must be different depending on which trade you are applying, but most of all, depending of how much you have to say about the questions they ask you!

Yeah, most of the questions he asked me were yes or no questions, like "have you ever done drugs" or something like that. What were the questions they asked you like? (if any of this violates the same regulations that prevent people from talking about the CFAT, someone please let me know)

Back