• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iranians Provoke USN

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know Max, looking at History with all this Hindsight is really not a true picture of what those times were like.  The same can be said about your posts.  Some day you too will have hindsight and look at them differently, as will generations even later.  Perhaps some fifty years from now, your statements will not be "politically correct" and you will be labelled with a label that you totally disagree with today.  Times change.  Life moves on.  Attitudes and Stereotypes are constantly changing.

When I grew up, Louis Riel was a rebel and a renegade.  Today, he is a national hero.  

The Iranians release their version of the, incident. (Click On Video Camera by cutline)
http://www.presstv.com:80/detail.aspx?id=38190&sectionid=351020101
Iran releases footage of PG naval check
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:15:18
Iran releases the video of Sunday's maritime identification check in the Persian Gulf waters involving Iranian boats and US warships.

Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the US-released footage of the incident is fabricated and the audio of it is fake.

Brigadier General Ali Fadavi, an IRGC senior official, has said that the US vessels' registration numbers had been unreadable to the Iranian guards.

He added that the guards approached the US ships only to examine the numbers.

The Iranian footage also includes the original radio communication between the Iranian guards and the US warship.

AO/RE

EDIT: They look to be pretty freaking close.

SupersonicMax said:
As far as I know, dropping a 500 lbs Mk82 won't affect the population of an area for years with nuclear radiation.

Nor would it likely end a long and costly war....

While I certainly find much U.S. foreign policy objectionable and i've been outspoken in expressing it on army.ca (such as my opposition to the decision to invade Iraq, because as I and others have always argued Iran is the real threat), to say that the USA constitutes as much of a nuclear threat as Iran is just plain unrealistic.

I don't recall any US president, not even one as dumb as Bush saying that any country should be wiped off the face of the earth like Ahmadinejad (hope I spelled it right, but then who cares) said should be done to Israel.  The United States, like all great military powers throughout history that allow their power to make them arrogant, makes mistakes, sometimes disasterous ones like its invasion of Iraq, but that's different from the pathologically irrational behaviour of the Iranian president and some of his followers, like those IRG boat crews.  The commanders and crews of those American warships showed spectacular restraint, and so far Israel has shown spectacular restraint in response to Iran's provocative rhetoric and even more provocative assistance to the terrorist group Hezbollah during the recent war in Lebanon.

George Wallace said:
You know Max, looking at History with all this Hindsight is really not a true picture of what those times were like.  The same can be said about your posts.  Some day you too will have hindsight and look at them differently, as will generations even later.  Perhaps some fifty years from now, your statements will not be "politically correct" and you will be labelled with a label that you totally disagree with today.  Times change.  Life moves on.  Attitudes and Stereotypes are constantly changing.

When I grew up, Louis Riel was a rebel and a renegade.  Today, he is a national hero.  

George, for once (I think it's actually the first time!) I agree with you!

Max

Roy Harding said:
So killing with conventional weapons is OK, but with nuclear weapons isn't?

Just checking.

SupersonicMax said:
As far as I know, dropping a 500 lbs Mk82 won't affect the population of an area for years with nuclear radiation.

"Dead" is "Dead".  Does it really matter in the end?

SupersonicMax said:

And of course, the dead are less dead with conventional weapons.

Read some history, SupersonicMax - the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were soul wrenching decisions - made to end the war with the least possible effect on friendly soldiers.  You're also assuming that the science available in 1945 predicted the lasting effects - it didn't.

I don't believe the Iranians, should they ever gain the capability, would be as concerned with their own friendlies - nor would they search their souls before using a nuclear weapon.

SupersonicMax said:
What I meant was non-nuclear weapons.  My mistake.

Quite the hypocrite arent you !

The "conventional" bombing of German cities by allied heavy bombers or the "conventional" bombing of Tokyo killed more people and caused more deaths than both atomic bombs combined.

The "conventional" bombing of Europe laid waste to the entire continent, not just 2 cities.

Unexploded bombs from "conventional" bombings in Europe contunue to kill to this day......

Here is a question because I have been unlucky in finding the answer. Did the US drop the atomics on her own accord or did she consult with the rest of the Allies beforehand?

Cataract Kid said:
The Iranians release their version of the, incident. (Click On Video Camera by cutline)
http://www.presstv.com:80/detail.aspx?id=38190&sectionid=351020101
Iran releases footage of PG naval check
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:15:18
Iran releases the video of Sunday's maritime identification check in the Persian Gulf waters involving Iranian boats and US warships.

Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the US-released footage of the incident is fabricated and the audio of it is fake.

Brigadier General Ali Fadavi, an IRGC senior official, has said that the US vessels' registration numbers had been unreadable to the Iranian guards.

He added that the guards approached the US ships only to examine the numbers.

The Iranian footage also includes the original radio communication between the Iranian guards and the US warship.

AO/RE

Makes you wonder if he went to the same Public Affairs School as the Iraqi " Col Bagdad Bob" (or whatever his name was) who was filmed stating that there were no Americans in Bagdad as an American M1 entered the background.

Here is an interesting article about the use of the bomb.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/70-7_23.htm

Ex-Dragoon said:
Here is a question because I have been unlucky in finding the answer. Did the US drop the atomics on her own accord or did she consult with the rest of the Allies beforehand?

Interesting texts available here (I can't speak to their veracity - but they can be cross checked):  http://www.dannen.com/decision/

As I understand it, Truman made the decision unilaterally - although he did tell Stalin, at least, that the US had a new "super weapon".

Edit:  typo (voracity changed to veracity)

If he did, then he rightfully assumed the mantle of responsibility. Now thats leadership!

The decision that Truman made to drop the bomb on Japan saved tens of thousands of American and Japanese lives. I might not be here today if the invasion of the home islands had been necessary. My dad's division was part of the invasion force.After Japan surrendered he performed occupation duty instead of having to fight the Japanese.

I saw a report on CNN this evening that seems to indicate that the US Navy is backing down from their original claims. The “threatening voice” appears to have come from a third party, and not the Iranians. They believe that it was a local heckler known to the US Navy as the “Filipino Monkey”. The report said that the Navy will continue to examine their tapes to determine the exact source.

I found this on the web.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/01/navy_hormuz_iran_radio_080111/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back