• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is the CF going to close Borden?

I too believe that Kingston (the top of the hill part, only) is high on several "close" lists, and has been for several years.

E.R. Campbell said:
I too believe that Kingston (the top of the hill part, only) is high on several "close" lists, and has been for several years.

When I got posted to Kingston in 95, I was expecting to move within 2 years... when I got posted to Gagetown 7 years later, not only did it not close, it got bigger.

We actually thought everything save the College and a small GSU were going to Gagetown and Borden.  To the original post, I'd have to say that someone is smoking crack and not sharing with anyone else.

MM

As dapaterson said, closing a base is a tough, big P political decision with major costs attached. We never thought they would close Summerside, either, but they managed it; good for them.

I really don't think K-Town is on the hit list. Come here and see the millions of infrastructure that has, and is happening.

Jammer said:
I really don't think K-Town is on the hit list. Come here and see the millions of infrastructure that has, and is happening.

CFB CHILIWACK comes to mind there Jammer.......

Chilliwack didn't have:

RMC
CFSCE
LFDTS
JSR
1 Cdn Div HQ (again!!!)
JHQ
21 EW Regt and:
400 PATs...I'm just sayin'

Jammer said:
Chilliwack didn't have:

RMC
CFSCE
LFDTS
JSR
1 Cdn Div HQ (again!!!)
JHQ
21 EW Regt and:

And there is, was anyway, twentyish years ago, a case to move everything except RMC (and Fort Frontenac, as a physical place) somewhere else, along with all those schools in Borden. It may not have been the best case or even a good case but it used to make the rounds again and again - with some pretty very high level cheerleading. I'm guessing it still does.

There is a lot of history there. Some request to have their ashes spread at the RCASC Cenotaph.:
http://rcasc.org/cfbb_sop.html

Jammer said:
Chilliwack didn't have:

RMC
CFSCE
LFDTS
JSR
1 Cdn Div HQ (again!!!)
JHQ
21 EW Regt and:

CFB Chilliwack did have CFSME (in a brand new multi-million dollar building), CFOCS, 1 CER (in still new expensive building), a field troop from 6 FES and all the support infrastructure any other base has.

If I may, politics has more to do with base closures than the actual need or location etc.

For instance, CFB Calgary was closed and 1 CMBG plus all the units there were moved to Edmonton. Guess who won the riding where CFB Calgary was located and guess who won the riding that contained CFB Edmonton?

Kapyong Barracks was on the closure list for years, but a Lloyd Axworthy ran the city in the federal sense. As soon as Lloyd was gone, so was Kapyong.

Politics my friends.....

Mid Aged Silverback said:
Politics my friends.....

Yup.......look at who had just won most of BC when the decision to close CFB Chilliwack was announced !!

no offence taken  8)  just addin' to the list of folks who hang their hats in your neck of the woods.

Oh, I pity the fool who thinks to mention closing Kingston again.  That would be a huge political brouhaha, and political suicide to boot.

But alas, never discount the foolishness of the ignorant.

Where the heck are they going to film "Canada's Worst Driver" now??  :eek:

Teeps74 said:
Oh, I pity the fool who thinks to mention closing Kingston again.  That would be a huge political brouhaha, and political suicide to boot.

But alas, never discount the foolishness of the ignorant.

The Speaker of the House of Commons is the MP for Kingston...figure the odds.

MMM

- One of the problems with closing any impact area is the clean-up.  Closing an area where chemical weapons were tested or stored is a whole different game.  Borden won't close.

- Having said that, they got the Sarin out of the Tokyo subway sysyem, but Mustard is more persistant...

Back