• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Issued Tac Vest

Should we go with Tac Vest or Old Style Webbing or MOLLE/PAL or nothing

• Tac Vest

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • Webbing

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Molle, Pal, Custom

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • nothing

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • webbing?

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
Britney Spears said:
Ha! that's what YOU think!  ;D 

I give up trying to convince you guys.Although, to be fair, the comfort advantages of the webbing are negated somewhat by the advent of hard armour vests. For a militia ex, the webbing wins hands down in comfort......

Maybe it has to do with your body type, but I found that the TV distributed the weight more evenly than the webbing, and that was much more comfortable for me. This even held during live fire training with body armour on. This might not be true with the much bigger systems holding 9 mags or more which some posters are talking about, but personal preference and your build do have a lot to do with you preceptions of comfort and utility.

Eh? Why would you WANT weight evenly distributed on your body? Some parts of the body are stronger than others. Weight on your hips is much more comfortable than weight on your shoulders, no matter how "evenly" it's distributed. It's true for rucksacks so why not webbing? You can achieve the same effect with the vest if the torso straps are done up tight, in which case it IS quite comfortable,  but the vest designers must have noticed this and decided to make the straps impossible to adjust without taking the vest off and pulling out a gerber.

Must be my child bearing hips.....

You'll also notice that the larger systems we are talking about ALWAYS  place the heavier stuff(mags, C-9 drums, water)  lower on the body and the lighter stuff on the chest.

10-23b_KA2004-R104-0254d.jpg

DownloadAttach.asp

Here is the Harris Assault Vest (done by LBT) that our vest was poorly modeled after.

Vest.jpg

I had M203 pockets added after the fact.

Using the issue TV at the killhouse - with plates and armour the mags are to hig and awkward
Brick.jpg

No real solution other than an added pack for your breacher
MOE.jpg

Using the PRR basically cuts off a magpouch
noelcan.jpg

Here's a question for those that have been using the TV for a while, what sort of mods can/have you do/done to make it more user-friendly? I find the buckle are hard to use, particularly on the mag pouches. Also extracting the mags is kinda tricky, I guess I'll have to get magpul ranger plates...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

several directives have come down about not modifying the TV - so It was easie to buy an aftermarket one that met your needs.

I tried to buy one 'off the books' via a equipment exchange off a website - but the guy ripped me off (go figure someone who stole a TV to sell then ripped someone else off...  Live and Learn)

Mags - I've found the Magpul or Magpul Ranger rplates to be the only fix - or you can do the paracord loops with guntape but I know some CQ's are funky about gun tap on mags - so the Magpul option is better that way (but costs).

Some idiot spec'd those buckles - no idea why, as they dont work as good as normal fastex setups, and cost more...

I've barely been in a year, but I got the TV just before my SQ (summer 2004) and have used it ever since. The one thing I really like about it is comfort with the ruck, as I've always preferred having the weight on my hips rather than on my shoulders and the old buttpack made me feel like i was thrusting my pelvis like duffman. To solve the load carriage problem I tried out attaching the buttpack to the bottom right of the vest on those black plastic rings, but I took it off soon after as the damn thing was bouncing all over the place while running around Fort Drum for a day. When it comes to carrying extra kit on a march though the buttpack setup isn't so bad IMO. For future exes I think I'll stick with my nukebag though. It might make me look like a pack mule but it holds alot and gets the job done for me. These are the opinions of a pretty new soldier, and I wouldn't surprise myself if later on I look back and say "what the f*ck was I thinking??"

Cheers

Does anyone out there know of a new ISSUE vest that is in trials at the time?  Our local ERT team commander was going on and on about a CADPAT vest that one of the guys is testing out, that is supposed to be issue.  He described it as having two pouches large enough to hold 2 C-mag 100 rnd mags, plus 8 C-7 mags.  I tend to think one of two things.  He either does not know issue kit to the CF from his own (expletive deleted), or it's an aftermarket vest.  I have not seen it, so no, I can't describe it any better.

He's talking about the DHTC Chest Rig from PSP

The Mystery vest Blackhorse7 is talking about is most likely the issue tac vest.  If the ERT he is talking about is RCMP and not a local police department.  The RCMP got about 30 vests from us to run their own trials on.  They were in Ottawa for a while and then distributed all over the place for a user trial.

There is a plastic mag divider being built.  to increase load carriage, attach your canteen carriers on the vest along with the c9 pouches.

Bomber, indeed it is the RCMP.  It's just that the way my Sgt. described it, it didn't sound like the issue vest.  I'm going to corner the guy who has it and get a good look at it.

The Hill vest
(and Kifaru EMR - it was a unrelated request from infanteer that I decided to combine)

MasterChief1004.jpg

MasterChief1001.jpg

and RAV

MasterChief004.jpg

MasterChief007.jpg

Off-topic, but....

Kevin, what do you think of the integrated kneepads in the multicam?

Kevin, How many mags does each of those vests carry? And are those loops on the mags in the RAV just for assisting in getting them from the vest?

The loops are magpull ranger plates, makes it easier to get a magazine out of the mag pouch, especially if their packed in tight.
http://www.lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1025

God Kevin your such a gear slut I LOVE it lol. All I can say is mmmmmmm multicam

I second PhilB's comment!  ;D

Kev do you ever show up for inspection like that, just to see the Sergeant Major do cheetah backflips??

To bad PSP submitted the tac vest instead of the "Hill Vest", these massive threads could have been avoided.

Back