• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining a Regular Force Parachute Company

• Thread starter Thread starter Rian_Ca
  • Start date Start date
So skura if you can't be in a paratrooper regiment your not even going to join the canadian forces?

No, I'll still join...it's just I'd prefer to be para then anything else...but if I find out that's impossible before I enlist, I'll still enlist...I just have to think of something else I'd want to do

hopefully airborne soon has been helping me out a great deal so far (answering any questions I have about becoming a paratrooper) as have those who have replied to me on this site...so thank you all for help so far...

I sent a PM to airborne 5 minutes ago and it's not that I don't trust his answers, I just feel that there may be more then one answer to this question, so if anyone has an answer then please post it here but be warned, I may have questions for you following your reply...

Here's my PM to airborne;

skura said:
I emailed the CFRC in Toronto and asked them some questions...they didn't answer anything specific when I mentioned I wanted to eventually become a paratrooper (specific = you cant do that) which was good news for me...but ("for my convenience" as the recruiter told me) he attached a list of local reserve units...I can give you the list if you need it but I was wondering 2 things;

1) When I've graduated college can I join a Reserve full time (I.E. join a full time unit there?)

and if I can;

2) What is the name of the Unit that is accepting paratroopers?

Thank you for your help so far...and I really hope this works out

Any information that can help me will be great...

Thanks again...

If you want to be full time army, go reg force, chances of being emplyed full time at your unit are slim, especially for a private.

The only reserve unit that has a airborne tasking is the Queens Own Rifles.
The 3rd Battalion(light infantry) of each Reg Force Infantry Regiment has a Airborne Company.

And to join the British Army, aslong as you were born in a Commonwealth country(like Canada), you can enlist(may be limited to certain trades and secruity clearances untill you get a British citisenship though)

is hopefully airborne soon even a trained private??    You may want to give some consideration on what faith you put in the answers from someone who is not in the military (Unless of course he is)

In answer to your questions.

No you can't join a reserve unit "full time". In a reserve unit you won't work every day.   In reserve units there are some jobs people CAN take that give them full time employment   but 99% of the time they will be for a support trade such as clerk or a higher rank then private or corporal.    If your an infantry soldier don't count on working full time at your unit, atleast as a new guy there.   You can however take various courses or taskings which will give you employment   for a few months.

A Tasking example would be picking up parachutes in trenton for the Canadian Parachute Center for 2 months.

A paratrooper isn't a trade in canada. It's a course soldiers take. Theres 3 full time companies who do paratrooper stuff (for lack of a better explination).
if you want to be a paratrooper then join the regular force as an infantry soldier and wait until you are offered your jump course. If you pass your jump course you may be considered for one of the Jump companies within one of the 3 light infantry battalions. There are many soldiers who have the jumpcourse and are not in the jump company mind you.

If you want to join the reserves and do parachuting then join the queens own rifles and wait until you can get your jump course there. In the reserves you'll be able to work 4 thursdays a month and one week-end. I think atleast once every 2 months the QOR do a jump   but that often doesn't involve more than jumping from the plane into a landing zone then getting ona   bus and going home.

If your dead set on being a paratrooper and you can't do anything else, join the british or american army as they have paratrooper units.

Hopefully Airborne Soon is a cadet, so I would take his "experience" with a grain of salt.

As far as being a paratrooper, no it's not a guarantee, even if you are in a Battalion which has a parachute company. The spots are competitive, the physical requirements are a lot more strenuous than the basic PT step test to get in, and as the new kid on the block, you will not be the first one in line.

Also, how do you know that it's going to be something you enjoy? You may do your infantry training and find out that you're so fascinated by recconnaisance that you want to join Recce Platoon, or that you want to blow up tanks so join anti-armour platoon. You may find out that you have a pathological fear of heights and can't even jump off the mock tower, assuming you ever even got a shot at Basic Para. Right now you're putting all your eggs in one basket, and you're bound to be disappointed. You may find that you don't get the opportunity to take your para course, or you may get thrown in a jump company and find out it's not the non-stop guts'n'glory supermen that you thought it was.

If you're joining the CF because you want to be a soldier, then go right ahead. However, if the only thing you want is to be a paratrooper, then be prepared to either not get it at all, or wait a long time before the opportunity even arises to you. Aim for being the best infanteer you can be, and the rest will come (whether it's a spot in Recce Platoon, an advanced moutain ops course, or your coveted Para). If you tell your superiors that you don't want any courses or taskings other than para, then you aren't going to go very far.

Actually, can anyone confirm the supposed "wait list" myth? I know of two troops who component transferred to the regs and ended up posted to jump coys. This isn't to say that there wasn't any consideration of the history of the soldier they were getting, just that it doesn't seem as selective as everyone makes it out to be. From the few stories I heard it seemed to be based more on need and qualifications than anything else (although I was told that light battalions make it a point to be in extremely good shape). Also, the few reg force guys I know personally don't really "idolize" the jump coys as much as newbies and reservists seem to. It appeared to me that they were just as proud of their respective coys and battalions as they would be if they were in a para tasked coy. Again, I'm not in the regs but this is just my impression from speaking with a few Patricias. Any reg types who want to correct me are more than welcome if I'm off base.

As for the wannabe airborne types, take the advice given. Join the infantry and work your butt off. What you really want to specialize in will very soon become apparent.

combat_medic said:
Hopefully Airborne Soon is a cadet, so I would take his "experience" with a grain of salt.

Uhmmm guys, would be nice if you read profiles.  Hopefully Airborne Soon is a commissioned CIC Officer, not a cadet.

I do understand how competitive it is...and you're right, if when I'm doing the training I may develop an interest for something else, and if that does happen then I will persue that career...I also understand that the odds of me flying through training and getting placed in a unit as a para...which is why, as you said, I'll try to be the best infanteer I can be, and hopefully the opportunity for me to go to the jump presents itself...

How long is Basic Training in Canada?

Because if it can be completed over the summer (from my first day of summer holidays after I graduate grade 12 to my first day at college) then wouldn't it be smarter of me to complete Basic Training then join the QOR reserve?

If it can't be completed within the 2 months (appox.) then does that mean my first few weeks on the reserve will be Basic Training when I'm there?

In the reserves, basic training can be done on week-ends.

In the regular force you go away for a few months (not sure the exact number)

Skura before you do anything you have to decide if you want to be involved in the army full time or if you want to be in the army part time.  Don't bother with trying to figure out how fast you can get in. People think it's easy to join the reserves do basic training play around then join the regular force. It's not. Not only will it sometimes take a long time to transfer BUT you will need to do basic training all over again. Decide if you want to do it as a career or play on week-ends.

I will go full time...I'm only joining the reserves while I'm in school...

It's a hard loop to break out of, i said the exact same thing and wasted 8 years pissing around either being too lazy to put my papers in OR when i actually did, had bad luck and the paperwork screwed up.

If you have a few years of school left then join the reserves (finish highschool whatever you do) then when you graduate if your still interested, put your papers in to transfer and stick with it. Don't take a year off and dont do "just one more course or tasking" with the reserves. Don't be talked out of it if your unit offers you a jump course or a chance to go overseas because you'll get plenty of that stuff in the regs.

skura,

he means submitting his application to the CFRC for a Component Transfer from the Reserves to the Regular Force. Reservists have to go through the same recruiting process as anyone else to transfer from one component to the other. The one extra requirement for reservists (or re-enrollees with prior service) is the Verification of Former Service (VFS). The process for the VFS can take an extra few months in processing the applicant file, in some cases making the processing of a Reservist's file slower than that of an inexperienced civilian's.

You can also check out the new links added to the Recruiting FAQ on Component Transfers.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/17073.0.html

So would it be worth it for me to join the QOR while I'm in college, or simply join full time after I graduate?

Only you can make that judgement. There's lots of information in the forums about the value of Reserve service. And if you do join the Reserves first, just keep in mind the length of time it may take to Component Transfer, and start the process well in advance of the date you want to go Regular.

I checked out the army.gc.ca site and tried to find out what I would be doing on the reserve while in school...and though there are some things I'll have to go over with my recruiter the only real reason I see to join the reserve while in school is for a job.  The reserve (I'm hoping) will understand my situation (being in school and working on the reserve) so they'll know when I'll be there and when I wont, and I'll get a monthly pay check to help pay for school...

It still didn't give me an idea of what I'd be doing there, it only told me this;

Following are just a few of the reasons to consider joining the Reserves:

Trade and technical training
      Development of valuable leadership skills
      Meaningful employment
      Excellent pay and benefits
      Subsidized education programs
      Opportunity to travel
      Satisfaction of serving your country
      Over 60 different jobs and careers from which to choose

So, I ask again, what would I be doing on the reserves as someone who has no training and still in school do to deserve excellent pay and benefits? (I wouldn't be asking if the army site gave me the answer, so I'm asking on these forums again)  I know it all depends on what trade I want to go in to which will determine what I might be doing on the reserves so, if it helps, I'd go in for training as an infranteer...

Well for one thing, in the reserves, you are only paid for the work you do (1/2 days or full days).  There is no minimum amount you receive per month (unless on a contract, course, tasking, basically), so if are unable to attend all parade nights, you won't get paid for the ones you miss.  On the other hand, if you show up as much as you can, it can make quite a bit of money, and the summer courses bring in lots of cash too (I paid most of my first year university tuition using reservist earned $$$).

But the times you are able to work are flexible, as long as you show up a minimum amount per month, in order to stay on strength with your unit.

The skills of an infanteer aren't really that applicable to the civilian world - (closest thing would probably be law enforcement), but you still learn many other more general skills that employers look for, such as teamwork, discipline, good worth ethics, etc...  so it still looks good on a resume.

Back