• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF-2 Patrol / Tactical vests? any info?

• Thread starter Thread starter pappy
  • Start date Start date
P

pappy

I've heard though the rumor mill that JTF-2 and other dare I used the term "High Speed-Low Drag" units are using a new Tac-Vest on steroids? made by Pacific Safety Products

Different then the current CADPAT Tactical Vests that have yet to trickle down to all you CAF folks. Modular and tons of pockets, options,etc.
any info, opinions, comments out there?

I've seen the standard issue (sorry for the dry humor) Tac-Vests, nice improvement over the 82-pattern gear and our old ALICE crap. 
I'm sure all you guys are still waiting for them, sucks to see Canada following US government "military funding" policies, would be nice if the gov't bean counters gave the military the funds they needed. 

My heart goes out to the active duty Marines that posts here, I see the government still hasn't learned, sounds like some of the same problems we had back in my day. 
But even with the problems you Marines are doing a GREAT JOB!  Keep it up!
Don't think I don't respect the CAF guys doing their part either.  All of you deserve our respect and support. 

Lets all not forget the freedom we enjoy is paid for by the sweat and blood of the these young men serving today.
Semper Fi Marine

CADPAT and MARPAT almost makes me wish I was younger and back in,  hell what am I saying, everything makes me want to be young again.

It is probably a personal purchase, but the equipment of JTF-2 is also not known by everyone, it can be issue for JTF-2 but not for all soldiers. 

I doubt that any gear that would identify an operator as being JTF2 would be mentioned on this site.

Pacific Safety Product are probably one of the DND Authorized dealer to produce some stuff with CADPAT. But this vest have not the NSN (NATO Stock Number) tag on, so this is not an issue one.

Cool vests.

Guys, think about this question for a sec.

Anyway, here is my $0.02:

It would stand to reason that a unit like JTF would buy and use whatever they want. Anyone remember the pics of the Haiti evacuation? Paraclete RAVs and Custom PSP body armour were clearly visible. They also had custom quads and AN-PVS 21s. If you look at the DND's site, you'll see all sorts of custom vest and body armour in the gallery. You'll also notice the Hummers; know anyone in the CF who has those?. Bottom line, they have their own budget and they evaluate and choose their own equipment. Their budget and purchasing is "out of the loop". I'd also be quite sure that individual operators have ALOT of leeway in purchasing and wearing their own equipment.

That said, I'm a kit slut of the worst kind, so if ya got more pics, post them up!

Although they do by many things we common soldiers dream of and tend to sneak in field training I don't think they have cart blance to buy anything that suits their fancy.  Although they are elite they still must have some semblence of uniformity in what they wear, what they shoot etc.

I can post a few more pictures if you guys want, I didn't want to waste any bandwidth, I'm sure I can dig up a few more somewhere.

The US Special Operations groups got the new body armour that is common place today with our troops, years before it was issued to regular forces.

Sometimes good things roll down hill...

When I was in the Corps my unit was on-board the same ship as a SEAL team heading to Norway.  Those guys got to use all sorts of non-military gear, granted they still wore issue cammies they did use non-military packs and boots and cold weather layers.

let me know if more pics would be on interest....

Although they are elite they still must have some semblence of uniformity in what they wear, what they shoot etc.
That makes sense, especially in what they shoot, for simple logistical purposes. However if you examine the pictures available from open sources (DND web site, Haiti pictures, and other pictures) you'll notice that there is probably no â Å“unitâ ? level equipment standards (except for weapons), or that said standards are much looser then anybody else's in the army. I would also hazard a guess that any â Å“standardizationâ ? occurs more at a task/mission/sub-unit level.

Anyway, all we can do is assume since I don't think anyone in this conversation has been there, and I think we all know the saying about assuming :)

Pappy, To quote myself
That said, I'm a kit slut of the worst kind, so if ya got more pics, post them up!

ok, these are some more pic of the Patrol Vest I rounded up.
The PV has two pouches on the front, right and left of the main opening, which is fastened with 3-fastex buckles.
These modular pouches can be swapped around as needed, two of each insert is inculded.
One is designed to hold 6 30rd M16 mags.  or four M16 mags and four pistol mags.
The other pouch insert is for C9 / SAW mags, or 8 MP5 mags, can be used to old rations, first aid gear, etc, etc
The C9 pouch inserts have one cover flap that fastens with a fastex buckle and Velcro, velcro has flap to cover it for slient opening.
The bottom of the fastex strap connects onto the PV's attached pouch.
These inserts fasten into the PV pouched with Velcro / snaps and a zipper.
both inserts are lined.
these first pics show the C9 style inserts...

The C7 / M16 mag style inserts....
Stiffened with plastic insert in the liner.
two flaps, with snaps and Velcro, velcro can be covered over with attached flaps
If Velcro is used the CADPAT velcro cover in the front of the PV pouch is attaced to the large strip of velcro
thats sewn onto the liner.

the large accessory pouches on each hip, large fastex buckels, if the pouched aren't used, the flap and strap
can be used to snug up the 3-mag pouch attached to the front of this pouch.
This three mag pouch can be used to hold smoke or frags, also pistol or MP5 mags.
Versitility seems the key design points.
Behind the large ration / accrssory / water bottle pouch is a open topped pocket for empty mags, pistol, etc.  Attachment points inside.
These ration / water bottle / mag / accessery pouches zip off to expose PALS type attachment points.
there is a velcro sealed opeing into the main compartment of the front panel for comm gear, etc.
Behind this is a small velcro mesh pouch.  Two additional velcro sealed pouched are on ether side of the main opening. 
Each main panel has a main zipper pouch for maps, rations, etc, inside this are attachment points along with elastic loops for 12 ga. shells or chem lights, etc

some pics of the modular pouches with the inserts attached,
on each side of this pouch are pistol mag, letherman, small knife pouches

some of the misc pouched located in the inside main panels, there are 7 of these along with two opening into the main map pockets inside the front panels,
these are the ones with the large zippers.
These misc. pouches can hold a pistol, rations etc.

opps notice the small mesh pockets on the back side of the zip on/off ration / water bottle pouches in the last pics

These are pics of the two upper chest pocuhes, these apprear to be designed to hold up to 12, but more realistically 6 40mm rounds, three each side.
These pouches have three pockets, open open topped one behind the pouch on the main panel, and the pouch itself has two, one can be accessed from eash side
via a zip down flap, secured with velcro and snap, three large elastic loops are inside that hold 40mm rds. could be used for other items
the main flap covers a second pocuh thats seperated from the 40mm pocket with a liner, inside thie top opening pocket is elastic loops for pistol mags, but might also hold three 40mm rds, but seems like a tight fit. First aid gear could fit here too, compass, etc, etc,
Two snaps and velcro secure the flap, velcro has flap to cover velcro, and typical of all velcro flaps inside the flap is a pocket to accept the velcro covers leaving the velcro free to do it's thing.

and more pics.... getting tired yet?
The upper shoulder rifle butt pads, a rubber textured surface, unzips one side to rout hydration tube, comms, store height adjusters.
note rifle butt attachment loops.
Typical each side.
Upper shoulder staps are lightly padded, to inclde the back of neck area.  Neck opeing edge is covered with seude.
Grab handle on back of neck.
more velcro hydration loops, rifle sling keepers etc.

and more, does it end yet?
incudes inside of main panel zippered pocket, note attachment loops
inside most all pouches are attachment points and cord loops.

back of vest has 4 take up staps that could hold goretex, etc cam net, etc

Back