• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

July 2010 BMQ

going in for Field Artillery. im from Brantford so my recruiting centre was in Hamilton.

where ya from?

currently living in Sackville, New Brunswick, so my recruiting center is in Moncton, but ive lived all over. Dad is ex-air force

I actually called the recruiting office in Halifax a couple of weeks ago and was told that my medical was approved and that I was merit listed.  The next day the job offer and scheduled for Basic in July.  To be honest I wish I was going sooner, but it gives me more time to get in better shape.

Anyone have a specific training program that they are working on?  Just looking to add to mine. 

I run for about 8km per day and then over 40 mins in the pool.  Doing the usual weight training combined with push ups and chin ups.  On top of any time I get to spend in the water working as a diver.

Any extra ideas would be appreciated.

dhddiver said:
I actually called the recruiting office in Halifax a couple of weeks ago and was told that my medical was approved and that I was merit listed.  The next day the job offer and scheduled for Basic in July.  To be honest I wish I was going sooner, but it gives me more time to get in better shape.

Anyone have a specific training program that they are working on?  Just looking to add to mine. 

I run for about 8km per day and then over 40 mins in the pool.  Doing the usual weight training combined with push ups and chin ups.  On top of any time I get to spend in the water working as a diver.

Any extra ideas would be appreciated.

DHDDiver, As Pmedmoe said check out the forum there are great workout ideas there. but i can give you my 2 cents (for whats its worth anyways lol).

For basic training, probably the best way to train your body in my opinion is to do muscular endurance training. This provides provides many benefits as it allows your muscles to work harder and longer, as well as train your body to fight better/ get rid of quicker lactic acid build up ( commonly known as DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness).

SO what this means for your workouts, is never lift any weights for less then 12 reps, keep that heart rate moderately high by doing quick sets and not reading or texting on the bench in between sets.  If you need routine ideas PM for more info.

Also i strongly recommend reading up on articles on bodybuilding.com, encorporting training such as plyometrics ( P90x one is great, and youll notice quite a difference after a month of use, in all areas of your training). DONT FORGET to train the legs.

Most importantly, Eat right and fuel your body properly.

I got my call on March 8th and I'm going for Basic on July 26th
as an Infantry Soldier.

Anyone else going on July 26th ?
From Ottawa ?

I just recently got my call for basic as well, I leave August 9th also and im going for sigop, 18 years old here too

Bardown789 said:
For basic training, probably the best way to train your body in my opinion is to do muscular endurance training. This provides provides many benefits as it allows your muscles to work harder and longer, as well as train your body to fight better/ get rid of quicker lactic acid build up ( commonly known as DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness).

You like your exercise physiology eh? Can't say the same about me...I almost fell asleep in my ex phys class this morning  ;) Haha.

Hey everyone, i am also starting my BMQ on July 12 for a vehicle technician. Super pumped to leave and start a wicked career especially after waiting a year to finally get the call lol

Bardown789 said:
DHDDiver, As Pmedmoe said check out the forum there are great workout ideas there. but i can give you my 2 cents (for whats its worth anyways lol).

SO what this means for your workouts, is never lift any weights for less then 12 reps, keep that heart rate moderately high by doing quick sets and not reading or texting on the bench in between sets.  If you need routine ideas PM for more info.

Also i strongly recommend reading up on articles on bodybuilding.com, encorporting training such as plyometrics ( P90x one is great, and youll notice quite a difference after a month of use, in all areas of your training). DONT FORGET to train the legs.

Most importantly, Eat right and fuel your body properly.

What I'm doing to get ready for basic (and because I've always wanted to) is training for the Ottawa half marathon on May 30th. The training is pretty hard on my body but by June I know I'll be in great cardiovascular shape and probably cut a few percentage points off my body fat %.

Thanks for all the information, like anything else persistence is key to your training schedule.  I am looking forward to going to basic and starting my new career.  This is a great forum to share ideas so if anybody else has any ideas please don't be shy.

For those who are interested and are BMQ in July I have set up a facebook group page.  Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canadian-Forces-BMQ-July-2010/100891446619471

Not scheduled for July but, I might get the opportunity,

I applied to the reserves last July 2009.
Presently scheduled for reserve weekend BMoQ in September 2010.
I applied for a Signals Officer DEO position.
It has been a long wait but, I continue to be very excited about this opportunity.
The excitement has me getting in better shape than I have been in years (many years.,,, I am 45 yrs old).

I hope to meet some of you during my training.

Bardown789 said:
Also i strongly recommend reading up on articles on bodybuilding.com

Right, if you want to find out how to prepare your body for peak physical performance, read articles from a bodybuilding website, where actual performance means nothing and the only focus is how to look better.

I'd be very interested in what kind of program you would provide this guy if he did, indeed, Pm you.

Kratos said:
Right, if you want to find out how to prepare your body for peak physical performance, read articles from a bodybuilding website, where actual performance means nothing and the only focus is how to look better.

I'd be very interested in what kind of program you would provide this guy if he did, indeed, Pm you.

You should probably take a look at the actual website before offering your ill-informed opinion. Bodybuilding.com offers VERY useful information on ALL forms of healthy dieting and exercise. Most articles are written by very knowledgeable people who clearly know what they are talking about and can back up their statements with facts. This site is an excellent source of information for someone looking to get in shape or improve their own physical performance, whether that be through strength training, cardiovascular endurance, etc.

Read some of the articles yourself, and then form an opinion. I trust even you will find some helpful tips somewhere on the site.

Sam 45, that sounds awesome, best of luck...

Kratos said:

aegishjalmar said:
You should probably take a look at the actual website before offering your ill-informed opinion. Bodybuilding.com offers VERY useful information on ALL forms of healthy dieting and exercise. Most articles are written by very knowledgeable people who clearly know what they are talking about and can back up their statements with facts. This site is an excellent source of information for someone looking to get in shape or improve their own physical performance, whether that be through strength training, cardiovascular endurance, etc.

Read some of the articles yourself, and then form an opinion. I trust even you will find some helpful tips somewhere on the site.

Thanks aegishjalmar for clearing that up for me. As bodybuilding.com does have alot of useful information to offer.

As for the routine Kratos, a slightly intensified cardio-core routine, that would incorporate alot of compound core lifts (squats, deadlifts etc) and burnouts to allow one to build up muscular endurance as well as core strength. Focusing more on functional strength and flexibility rather then a chest that looks like one can bench a car.

aegishjalmar said:

You think I've never seen BB.com before?

Yeah, there may be some good articles there, but there's also a TON of garbage.

A lot of their stuff focuses on the latest and greatest supplements, which (of course) can be purchased from BB.com, or how to get "shredded for summer".

Cool...

There are significantly better sources out there for good, practical, training information.

Bardown789 said:
Thanks aegishjalmar for clearing that up for me. As bodybuilding.com does have alot of useful information to offer.

As for the routine Kratos, a slightly intensified cardio-core routine, that would incorporate alot of compound core lifts (squats, deadlifts etc) and burnouts to allow one to build up muscular endurance as well as core strength. Focusing more on functional strength and flexibility rather then a chest that looks like one can bench a car.

At least you said compound lifts.

After you mentioned BB.com, I thought all hope was lost.

Duke I am coming from Newmarket Ontario, applied at the Barrie recruiting center, what about you ?

Back