• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Winds and the LZ surface. Nice soft fields or soft snow would be nicer to land in than something rough with hard pack snow ledges,
Ice and rocks etc.

I got 100% messed up on DZ Buxton (close to where CFB Edmonton is now) in early April; frozen ground, winds 10 IIRC, came in set for a left front and ended up doing a “heels ass” instead. Wasn’t much fun.
The difficult part of the arctic is that there’s nothing around to gauge size and distance, so it might look like a big flat field with some small rocks when in fact it’s a gigantic field with very large boulders.

The difficult part of the arctic is that there’s nothing around to gauge size and distance, so it might look like a big flat field with some small rocks when in fact it’s a gigantic field with very large boulders.

I would not want to bail up there…

“Crew, prepare to bailout”

Black And White No GIF by Laff

Oh it's very easy to gauge it, but that gauging often comes too late ;)

The good news is those ice boulders do stop run away toboggan groups (or a runaway Pl WO) quiet well.

Oh it's very easy to gauge it, but that gauging often comes too late ;)
Yeah, I know a couple guys who did a night jump into a large open field… then on final realized the first 2/3 was “break-your-femur-stumps-and-deadfall”. At least they had steerable chutes. They had done numerous observation passes under flare before jumping.

Yeah, I know a couple guys who did a night jump into a large open field… then on final realized the first 2/3 was “break-your-femur-stumps-and-deadfall”. At least they had steerable chutes. They had done numerous observation passes under flare before jumping.
Droppable UAS for DZ recce is the nicest tech toy for insertions --

Wx and 3VP?

3RCR in an attempt to relive the glory days of Airborne!!!!! Conducted a night jump on the Mattawa in full battle rattle about 12 years ago and had 19 jumpers injured.

My pal, who was one of the platoon commanders, shattered his femur in 3 places. He now walks with a limp and has a bunch of screws in his leg.

He did have the sense of humour to crawl to his rucksack, get on the radio and let the Company Commander know he was proceeding to the ORV as planned at 6 meters per hour and that they should carry on without him if they thought he was crawling too slowly.

3RCR in an attempt to relive the glory days of Airborne!!!!! Conducted a night jump on the Mattawa in full battle rattle about 12 years ago and had 19 jumpers injured.

My pal, who was one of the platoon commanders, shattered his femur in 3 places. He now walks with a limp and has a bunch of screws in his leg.

He did have the sense of humour to crawl to his rucksack, get on the radio and let the Company Commander know he was proceeding to the ORV as planned at 6 meters per hour and that they should carry on without him if they thought he was crawling too slowly.

Jesus…brutal.

Is Canada still jumping CT-1s at “whatever CABC is called now” and in the Para Coys?

Jesus…brutal.

Is Canada still jumping CT-1s at “whatever CABC is called now” and in the Para Coys?
Non jumper here but I have a question:

Is the age of en masse Airborne operations kinda over? And are there safer chutes to use?

Ok so two questions.

Is the age of en masse Airborne operations kinda over? And are there safer chutes to use?

Ok so two questions.
Firstly Canada and MASS Airborne never was a thing.
Mass means a Div ;)
If you have never jumped down here with the 82nd it's an alternate reality compared to jumping a few planes double door mass in Canada.
Walking over canopies is a typical thing and it's fairly unnerving the first few times.

Years ago (like pre my Basic Para at CABC in Edmonton) the US Army had transitioned to semi-steerable chutes - basically a CT-2, which is a CT-1 without 2 back panels and steering toggles - it gives you frontal airspeed and the ability to actually maneuver (nothing like a rectangular chute, but way better than dope on a rope "slip away, slip away).
For reasons that I still can't fathom Canada had (maybe still has) a requirement for IIRC 15 CT-1 jumps before using CT-2's, and often likes to screw jumpers on friendship jumps with allied who use semi steerable chutes if you don't have the required number CT-1 jumps (can't let those plebeian Red Leaf Jumpers get other wings...)

Having jumped both CT-1 and CT-2 chutes, the CT-2 is a way better method and is a lot more intuitive (IMHO) than trying to pull ineffectual slips to spill air in certain directions. But still not nearly as pleasant as Freefall chutes (I'ver never jumped a rectangular chute via static line - I think the SAR Tech's are the only folks who do that, which was the CT-3) as you can control the true steerable chutes, and flair them to decrease speed and decent rates (and most .MIL chutes are near impossible to stall unlike the smaller civilian ones) - and while you can get into a lot of trouble with the forward speed if you don't know what you're doing, it's really not rocket science if I can do it.

Ok so two questions.
Hmmmm with all the other areas divested or let rot in the CAF the forces are still in the Parachute business?

I would understand SAR, pilots, aircrew but then jumping infantry is something to think we need? Helicopter airborne I still get( but then the VDV is not covering themselves in glory either) but jumping not so more today. Horse borne cavalry of the 21 century.

Helicopter airborne I still get( but then the VDV is not covering themselves in glory either) but jumping not so more today. Horse borne cavalry of the 21 century.
‘Air Assault’

Part of the reason the US army re-roled the 101st from an airborne to an air assault division. 82nd remains airborne, but the Screaming Eagles are predominantly heliborne/air assault.

Back