• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

I think they definitely understand but until there is that one way chat from someone bigger and stronger, as Pierre endured during the 70's,then its business as usual. What did Pierre wind up buying after the chat. Oh thats right 128 Leopards,138 Hornets , 18 Aurora's and 6 Halifax Frigates and new trucks.
Someone, somewhere seems to be putting their foot down and telling him what he's going to do...

88 F-35's, 16 Poseidons, 9 MRTT, 360-ish ACSV's to bolster the LAV 6 fleet, a fancy alien radar somewhere in Ontario to monitor the Arctic (it ain't cheap) - seems like someone has been telling them what they're going to do as of late...thank goodness

Someone, somewhere seems to be putting their foot down and telling him what he's going to do...

88 F-35's, 16 Poseidons, 9 MRTT, 360-ish ACSV's to bolster the LAV 6 fleet, a fancy alien radar somewhere in Ontario to monitor the Arctic (it ain't cheap) - seems like someone has been telling them what they're going to do as of late...thank goodness
Aside from the ACSVs, the rest can be tied to NORAD so guess who is talking…

Aside from the ACSVs, the rest can be tied to NORAD so guess who is talking…
Believe me, the ACSV’s definitely didn’t come from here. You have 600 or so Bradley’s and a slew of AMPV if that was directed from Washington. I’m guessing that part of message was not very clear, or part of Justin’s Double Double got slopped on the the Army’s to do list.

Hey Justin ... ;)

Sucks Annie Potts GIF by CBS

Believe me, the ACSV’s definitely didn’t come from here. You have 600 or so Bradley’s and a slew of AMPV if that was directed from Washington. I’m guessing that part of message was not very clear, or part of Justin’s Double Double got slopped on the the Army’s to do list.
London needed work and money I guess. And we did need replacements. Theres no reason that we cant or shouldnt have a tracked IFV/APC as well other than we already ran that competition.

What ever happened to the Saudi LAV700's are they built? Delivered? Paid for?

NATO can talk til its blue in the face and this PM will not or cannot take a hint. He's too invested in carbon taxes and saving the planet. AND he's not a tall tree....but.....

Maaaaybeee....

I put it to Mr. Blair that if his government would commit to procuring new tanks today, it could free us up to send along those Leopard 2 tanks – which are already slated to be decommissioned in the next decade, and which are costing more and more to keep up – tomorrow.

Yes, that clarity will be very helpful to them,” Mr. Blair said, coyly. Nudged to explain, he added only “I’m not going to get out ahead of my own budget,” referencing the April 16 federal budget date, and that “we need to do more and doing more is going to require us to spend more.”

It’s a good sign that Ottawa might finally be stepping up in a real way.

Some other insights from the article

We have stuff and we can send stuff. Our stuff needs replacement in any case.

We can make a much bigger difference, and we can do it quickly. For starters, we need to raid the cupboards: If it still works, we should give it to them. If it doesn’t, we should fix it and send it to them. If they can retrofit it better than we can, we should pack it up and send it to them.

While National Defence will not get into specifics of its ammunition stockpiles, it did tell me that Canada still has 103 Leopard 2 tanks: 74 combat units and 29 support systems.

The tanks are an ideal place to start, but there are other critical capabilities we can offer. As Mr. Blair himself says, our military is struggling as it is: “Our stocks are very low, the serviceability of a lot of our equipment is a real challenge for us.”

“We have gone in and raided the pantry,” Mr. Blair told me, adding that there are simply no artillery shells or anti-air missiles left to give.

But that’s not quite true. Speaking to a military source recently, I was told that there has been a willingness from the generals to give more – but there is a fear that if critical equipment is donated, it will never be replaced.

Maybe the budget will offer some clues?

Procurement, procurement, procurement.

we need to start placing big orders for equipment that can be made inside Ukraine itself – drones and anti-air technology, in particular. The more orders we place, the more Ukrainian industry can scale up and do the research-and-development that will be necessary to overcome a better-resourced foe. Organizations such as the Ukrainian World Congress are already financing this work, and could use more help.

It does seem that this message has also reached Mr. Blair, who was in Kyiv last month. The minister told me he made a handshake deal with a Ukrainian counterpart to purchase drones directly from Ukrainian industry and donate them to the military. Mr. Blair added that he went back to the Ukraine Defence Contact Group’s drone coalition, of which Canada is a member, to get other countries on-board with the plan.

For any of our aid to be truly effective, though, we need to blast through the red tape. Mr. Blair confesses that Canada’s bureaucracy is hobbling our efforts to help Ukraine. “Because of my procurement processes, it’s easier for me to contribute money to the drone coalition, and use some of the procurement processes that our partners are using,” Mr. Blair said.

We also need to create better exemptions to Canada’s stringent export controls, important considering our record of selling military gear to repressive regimes. It is paradoxical to force Ukraine to jump through hoops to justify its need to defend itself.

But Blair's boss is unlikely to be helpful

I asked Mr. Trudeau about reforms that would make it easier for the Canadian defence industry to sell weapons to governments abroad, including Ukraine. He responded that while some may want to reduce those rules “even if it means selling missiles to the bad guys, I’m not going to do that.” Unfortunately, absent real reforms, that means we will have trouble helping the good guys, too.

And dollars to donuts he is not going to change rules on funneling funds to political advantage regionally.

Finally, we need to ramp up our own production. Given that this war could stretch on for years to come, with the Baltic countries possibly next in Moscow’s crosshairs, we cannot be caught with empty stockpiles again. Mr. Blair lamented that rebuilding Canada’s defence industrial base could take “two, two-and-a-half years to ramp up production, even if we’re able to get all the money and all the plans.”

Two to two and a half years .... with an election due in one and a half years.

Trudeau loses the election and Poilievre gets the benefit - ain't gonna happen?

Related thoughts

Why drones?

And Productivity and Investment.

Drones first

Why drones? Why are drones so much a feature of this war and why are they getting the attention of the professionals around the world?

Because....

equipment that can be made inside Ukraine itself – drones and anti-air technology

They are relatively simple and easy to manufacture and can be made from a wide variety of materials. They are not constrained by the supplied of heavily engineered materials in the way that, for example, the Extended Range Cannon Artillery guns are.

It is not just Canada that would face a 2.5 year ramp up process to start delivering those systems.

Even tank production and LAV production lines are challenged to come up to speed in a hurry. Same for aircraft.

about 156 aircraft per year

Lockheed executive vice president for aeronautics Greg Ulmer recently forecast that the F-35 program will have a stable production rate goal of about 156 aircraft per year for at least the next five years. The F-35A has been operational with the Air Force since 2016

Long range missiles and UAVs can be built faster and cheaper and get into the fight sooner to greater effect.

The same goes for armoured vehicles that can be built off of frames that roll of assembly lines in their thousands hundreds daily.

The Canadian auto industry produced more than 814,200 light commercial vehicles, just under 288,250 passenger vehicles, and about 12,500 heavy trucks in 2021.

And that was in a bad year

Second issue - Productivity

Defence production is merely a singular case in point as regards Canadian productivity

Senior deputy governor Carolyn Rogers ... was right to sound the alarm about a subject — Canada’s waning productivity — on which the federal government’s performance has been lacklustre at best.

She was explicit that government policy is partly to blame, pointing out that businesses need more certainty to invest with confidence. Government incentives and regulatory approaches that change year to year do not inspire confidence, she said.

That highlighted bit and only that...

It is the inclination of all Canadian Governments to react to every headline with another headline and they create the other headline by rolling out another policy-du-jour.

For business even a bad policy that persists is better than an ever changing policy.

PS - I was right the first time - Thousands of Roshel Senator type frames per day

814,200 Light Commercial Vehicles / 365 days = 2230 vehicles per day. And that was in a year where sales were down 20% from the previous due to the pandemic.

The difference is over 200,000 vehicles. The industry has the capacity to supply that difference to Ukraine annually. 200,000 platforms like this

1711725399827.png 1711725452725.png 1711725686955.png

The VAMPIRE system in the middle is interesting given that Canada builds the truck, builds Wescam EO turrets and has something like 80,000 70mm rocket motors in stock with the ability to produce more at Magellan in Winnipeg.

What ever happened to the Saudi LAV700's are they built? Delivered? Paid for?
Some of them are in Yemen…
IMG_3886.jpeg

Some of them are in Yemen…
View attachment 84119

seems like its unsure which LAV variants they were though

…don’t forget MSHORAD…that comes conveniently on vehicle made in Canada… 😉

The MOOG turret can fit on ANY pickup truck, not just our 8x8 version.

1711734448641.png

I think they definitely understand but until there is that one way chat from someone bigger and stronger, as Pierre endured during the 70's,then its business as usual. What did Pierre wind up buying after the chat. Oh thats right 128 Leopards,138 Hornets , 18 Aurora's and 6 Halifax Frigates and new trucks.
It was a conversation between friends and equals, Schmidt was someone who Trudeau respected.
I get the distinct impression that his son doesn't have that advantage.
The truly sad part about this is that this part of the genetic make-up of almost all our political leadership.
An inability to to view harsh reality and the ability to delude ourselves that there always will be somebody else to do the dirty and messy stuff and the heavy lifting..
Welcome to the Canadian mindset
I have hope that it may change there are glimpses here and there.

The MOOG turret can fit on ANY pickup truck, not just our 8x8 version.

View attachment 84121

It however is not practical on much smaller than the 8x8 LAV 3+ or a tracked APC/IFV.

The gun needs a stable chassis.

It was a conversation between friends and equals, Schmidt was someone who Trudeau respected.
I get the distinct impression that his son doesn't have that advantage.
The truly sad part about this is that this part of the genetic make-up of almost all our political leadership.
An inability to to view harsh reality and the ability to delude ourselves that there always will be somebody else to do the dirty and messy stuff and the heavy lifting..
Welcome to the Canadian mindset
I have hope that it may change there are glimpses here and there.
You are speaking of the average Canadian - smug and looking down their noses at America.... ;)

It however is not practical on much smaller than the 8x8 LAV 3+ or a tracked APC/IFV.

The gun needs a stable chassis.

That depends on whether it is decided to mount a gun and the caliber of the gun if mounted, no?

Back