• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Yeah, it may seem that way to you but I think in reality, the Europeans want to see a Canadian flag on the maps of their borders so that they can see that the Canadians are in it for at least a penny, if not a pound.
No problem. They deed me a mansion on the shores of Lake Como, and I'll keep a Canadian presence and flag flying there year round.

Yes, I was trying to highlight the differences - both very high taxation - but what they get in return is much much better value for money
How do we know the return is better for the higher taxes? They might be in the wrong part of a diminishing returns curve.

Of course not. The bulk of the budget for the Navy and Air Force is mostly for the homeland. Yes, we do deploy some naval and air forces to NATO missions but the bulk stay here.

The army is our primary expeditionary force and only a small fraction of that is deployed in support of NATO at any given time. The bulk is here in Canada training for missions that could be anywhere including Canada. Add to all of that the heavy administrative overhead presence safely ensconced in the Ottawa Valley.

2% is everything, lock stock and barrel.

Yeah, it may seem that way to you but I think in reality, the Europeans want to see a Canadian flag on the maps of their borders so that they can see that the Canadians are in it for at least a penny, if not a pound. There's a lot of symbolism in that both to the Europeans and as one of deterrence to the Russians. More importantly, it gives you a measure of street cred when other issues such as trade, come up.

Let's be honest. A mostly fly-over brigade is cheap in the long run and adds a significant benefit in focusing training and providing a positive morale issue to enhance recruiting and a raison d'etre. (and no! I'm not considering six month rotations as a positive morale issue. - That needs adjusting)

🍻

To be honest I would be content to see, for the army, something more like the1964-1967 version.

Something predicated on light, air portable forces.

3x 2 Battalion Brigades with Cavalry and Artillery (light scale) with one on standby for North America.

A flyover Brigade doesn't hurt - as long as you have the means on hand to fly the brigade over and sustain it in the fight.

A training centre for conversion of the NorAm Brigades to flyover duties.

But priority 1, should be, should always be, operating effectively everywhere with Canada's territories, urban, rural, remote and waters.

Gaining brownie points with the Euros... nice to have if we can afford it. Other than that leave the Brits and the Euros to their own devices.

Charity begins at home.

As we can see from the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Material stocks in NATO countries are needed to sustain a war effort

PS - what do helicopters have in common with APCs and LAVs? They are first and foremost All Terrain Vehicles.

Heres all the technical data, 4x4 is 13t Axle load, 8x8 is a 16t load

speaking of Zetros

The new Zetros 3851A 8×8 has a gross vehicle mass of 38 tonnes, with a payload up to 25 tonnes. It is powered by a Mercedes-Benz OM 460 Euro V 6-cylinders in line engine with a 12.8 litres displacement providing 510 hp, coupled to an Allison 4500 transmission. It is fitted with 14.00 R 20 tires and is 11.15 metres long, 2.6 metres wide and 3.7 metres high, and is equipped with an LHS hooklift system with container-handling unit.

Ill post in LVM too where it belongs lol

Back