• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kicking the habit

My moms quitting smoking. Ever since shes stopped shes become a psycho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rage:

32 brigade is currently bringing back the butts out program where they are encouraging people who are quitting to sign up and quit for a month with 2 people that will help monitor you. After the month if you successfully kick the habit, they have a ballot drawing contest where 4 prizes of 1000 dollars to the canex gift certificates are up for grabs along with other cool stuff mp3 players and such... Neat little way for the army to try to keep their troops healthier

Ive been trying to quit for a while now... im douwn to about 1 and a half ever day or two ... getting better all the time. One day at a time.

Hang in their camo chick, I used to be a pack and a half a day now im down to nearly one every 2 days... just pass the time doing other stuff and keep away from the temptation.

I quit after 11 years. This is what I did:

1)- Nicorette. Kind of gross, but your not buying it for the flavor. Besides, smokes are way more gross than the gum. Whenever you have a craving, pop in some gum, chew twice and then put in between your gum and lip (like chew). If you get another, 2 more chews, and back between the lip and gum. It took away most cravings (physical ones), and took the edge off the realy bad ones.

2)- The patch. I went on it for the first 3 days. It got me over the toughest part.

3)- Mental. I reminded myself that I had to go from being a pack a day smoker to a non-smoker, and that there was a certain amount of pain involved. I comapred it to walking 100m over broken glass. For every smoke I had (I had 3 after I quit), I imagined that I would have to go back 10 metres. I knew I had to walk the 100m, so by smoking, I was just making it harder on myself as I would have to walk that 10 metres over again. This is what really allowed me to quit.

The only way to ensure stronger cravings is giving in to the next one. Your only chance at getting weaker cravings is to not give in to the next one.

It gets better, and remember - you have to do it sooner or later....might as well be now.

Good luck, and congrats.

Oh yeah, and running and water are great too.

Remember, smoking was a habit developed over years, it'll take some time to become a non-smoker. You have to train yourself. Water, PT and staying busy all help the idle hands syndrome. Do something you've been putting off for too long. Nicotine is completely flushed from your system after approx. 3 weeks. Then it is a straight mental battle. Your brain is trying to "trick" you. It LOVES nicotine. It is not one of the most addicting substances known to man for nothing. The cravings will become much farther apart and lessen. You will start to physically feel better after just a couple of weeks. It makes PT easier!(Well maybe I'm stretching it a bit here! lol) Just get yourself to stick with it. I smoked way too much for 20 years and quit 5 years ago. No relapse. I used Zyban for a week, then just stopped taking it. My wife smoked for years longer and quit at the same time. Cold turkey. No relapse. There's tough!

Keep trying! I'll be pulling for you!

A lot of people forget about habit of the hand... it's hard to get used to not having the smoke between your fingers. Going to the bar doesn't necessarirly mean you will smoke. My strategy for that was to just hold an unlit cigarette in the usual position and puff on it like it was actually lit.

Cheers,

Patrick

Does anyone else find this thread is just... inciting feelings on the subject...I vote to lock and delete it so I stop having the reminder.

The happy-sick joy joy feelings one gets...*sigh* excuse me I have to go run and flog myself.

Bert,

Bert said:
I've never smoked and I laugh at you all HAHAHAHA! :P

How very childish and immature of you. If you have nothing substantial to offer, MYOB.

Che said:
Does anyone else find this thread is just... inciting feelings on the subject...I vote to lock and delete it so I stop having the reminder.

The happy-sick joy joy feelings one gets...*sigh* excuse me I have to go run and flog myself.

Che,

Maybe, but you don't HAVE to visit.  There's many out there trying to kick it, and looking for a way to do it. Advice from any source helps, with the exception of juvenile stuff as above. I'm looking at it also, having smoked for about the last 37 years and wanting to stop (again). ::)

I was kidding about locking and deleting it, I like everyone else forgets that tone doesn't work over the internet.
It's actually good to see other people doing the same.

I tried three times before it stuck. Three years down the road and still not cancer stick or chew or snuff. It finally took both the patch and zyban to do the trick for me but it did work.

Stats say that each person who wants to get rid of the habit will try several times before finally stopping. Do not take a set back as a failure but as a dry run. One does not go into battle without practice (if he wants to live) and so it is the same when you battle an addiction.

Good luck to all

I stopped smoking several times with this attempt lasting 20+ years.. It's one of the worse habits imaginable and expensive.   Best of luck to all of you who are trying to kick the habit.

I agree, it is a very expensive habit. I've saved hundreds already and I've only quit for 3 months. Now I spend that money on food because I no longer have the nicotine to suppress my appetite. Mmm, food.

Cheers,

Patrick

Did a bit of research, hope it helps someone  :)

http://www.winternet.com/~terrym/quitsmoke.html

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/aboutquittin1/a/resolutions.htm

http://unr.edu/homepage/shubinsk/smoke.html

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/159_155.asp  (more for the ladies)

http://www.cln.org/themes/quit_smoking.html 

http://www.allfreespot.com/quitsmokinglinks.html  (actually has a crapload of links)

Good luck to you all!!!

Jane  :salute:

(smoke free 4 years)

Is Zyban recognized by the CF?  I'm at the final stage of my recruiting process and don't want to start taking it in case I jeopardize my "medical suitability".  I heard somewhere that Zyban is just an anti-depressant.  Anyone?  Thanks.

wow, i will never ever smoke in my life! With all the problems that come with it and they are very expensive too.

Zyban is reconized by the CF, guys on the but out program have been given it

Be careful with zyban, a friend of mine took it and blacked out while driving, she didnt get into a wreck thank god but it's been known to cause problems with people who take it.

I threw Zyban into the trash, it made me hallucinate and all sorts of other not so fun stuff. I am in the process of quitting right now and have found it pretty easy to at least cut way back. After my moving headaches and stress is sorted I'll give it a shot at stopping completely.

I used Zyban to quit, and have not touched a smoke or had significant cravings in over two years. I agree that the drug is not pleasant to be on, but it is worth suffering through some of the unpleasant side effects.   It worked for me and kilied my cravings 100%. I guess results and strength of side effects really vary with different people.

Hard thing to do - good luck to all who are trying. I tried quitting 5 or 6 times before I managed it for good - I've been smoke free for about 8 or so years now. I don't know if this will help anyone - hopefully it will.

When I quit for good my plan was different from the other times I had tried. My thinking was smoking was a habit (duh!!!), so I wanted to change or break the habits of everyday life that went along with it. I stopped over Christmas - quit on the 23rd. If you can find a time when you are not engaged in your normal routine it could make it easier. It did for me.

It's a Christmas that my daughter and I will never forget however. I was a witch.

merlane

Back