• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston thread - merged

Bossi

You know whats Odd???

I drive alot in Kingston late at night on the way back to base
and I see a lot of girls walking alone...

I can't believe it myself.. but princess street from Bath down to Ontario
always has a few girls walking alone late at night.. I wouldn't do it.. but
they feel safe!!???

I'm going on Inf DP1 and DP2A this summer in Kingston. I have a few questions about the base that I was hoping the people here could answer.

-Where is it situated? I've been told it's right downtown. Basically, is it walking distance from the bars downtown?
-Does the canex sell military items like boot bands and such, I've never been in one.
-Is there a training area?
-Are courses usually put up in shacks or mod tents?
-Is there internet access on base?

Lastly.. any tips? Good bars I should check out? Thanks.

BKells said:
I'm going on Inf DP1 and DP2A this summer in Kingston. I have a few questions about the base that I was hoping the people here could answer.

-Where is it situated? I've been told it's right downtown. Basically, is it walking distance from the bars downtown?
It's about 10 min walk from RMC, just at the outskirts of the town. Bar is like 10 min cab ride. (to downtown)
-Does the canex sell military items like boot bands and such, I've never been in one.
There is a decent sized Canex. It should have boot bands. (Just use a thick rubber band)
-Is there a training area?
Duh, considering you're doing your BIQ and DP2A. It is small though.
-Are courses usually put up in shacks or mod tents?
Most likely shacks, since there's quite a few of them around.
-Is there internet access on base?
Not in shacks, AFAIK. There should be a resource centre of some sort for you to have internet access. Ask your instructors.
Lastly.. any tips? Good bars I should check out? Thanks.
Concentrate on passing your course first.
I didn't enjoy the bar scene at Kingston. Then again, I'm into EDM these days.

speaking of CFB Kingston, ive driven by there countless times, and ive seen this museum of military communications, can anyone tell me if its worth going into and taking a look at?

The Military Communications Museum in Kingston is one of the best in the world.  It is very well laid out in historical order and has some items which are of great historical significance.  It is very definitely worth a visit but give yourself lots of time for your visit.
VVV
Jack

They have a decent online tour as well at their website http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/

thanks allot, but i have another question.
the last time that i was in kingston, i thought to myself, maybe i should go and check out RMC and take a look at the campus. can i just drive through the gates and take a look around? do i need permission?

Not sure about driving and parking on the campus itself, might do well do ask the people running the museum (http://www.rmc.ca/other/museum/index_e.html). Last visit I parked at Fort Henry and after touring the fort walked over and toured RMC and it's museum. It's open to the public and is a nice area to walk around during the summer.

Why in the hell would you want to do that?  BTW the good bars are the Peel Pub, The Brass Rail, The Merchant McLiam, or if youre one of thoose dancind wierdos, AJ's or Stages are good for T+A.

Cheerz

291er said:
Tir Nan Og is a great pub too
I forgot about Tir. That's like the only decent pub in Kingston. What's that lounge place? I forgot the name of it. That's pretty nice too. (Even if they play bad house music there)

The museum has free internet access, also the 501 (on Princess downtown) has cheap access (basically an internet cafe/ arcade, if you're willing to dodge all the nerds in there.)

Kingston has quite a few good bars (which were mentioned) most of which are within walking (or staggering) distance from each other.

Jack Neilson said:
The Military Communications Museum in Kingston is one of the best in the world.   It is very well laid out in historical order and has some items which are of great historical significance.   It is very definitely worth a visit but give yourself lots of time for your visit.
VVV
Jack

I couldn't agree more.

My wife was on course at CFB Kingston about 6 years ago.  Before I picked her up after training, I took the kids to the Militry Communications Museum.  While walking through, my two oldest came upon a selection of old radios, The 510, C19 and C42 sets.  They pointed and said "Boy are they ever old!"  I then had to explain that it was stuff Dad had used when he wasn't much older than my oldest.  While I was explaining how to tune the 510, my son lets out "Life musta sucked then."

Talk about feeling old....  :'(

JimmyPeOn said:
Why in the heck would you want to do that?  BTW the good bars are the Peel Pub, The Brass Rail, The Merchant McLiam, or if youre one of thoose dancind wierdos, AJ's or Stages are good for T+A.

Cheerz

Haha, when I think of Peel Pub, I think of recycled watered down beer.

hmmm.. this is good to know since im going up there to role play for the Military Observer Course from the 11th-22nd.  ;D

Can anyone tell me what type of condition the Kingston housing is in?  I have heard both great and terrible things about them.

If anyone is keeping track about the newspaper articles lately in regards to the asbestos in military PMQ at CFB KInsgton I have posted the most recent one... Last night CFB Kingston held its Town Meeting where people were able to talk to experts in hopes of calming their fears... CFHA has plans to remove the asbestos which isnt going over every well with most residents.. here' s a copy of the most recent article.. and I have posted a link to a medical paper which now has on record the issues as well..

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/

Plan to deal with asbestos is inadequate, base residents say

By Ian Elliot
Local News - Thursday, November 03, 2005 @ 07:00

Military officials say they could start sealing asbestos-laden insulation in houses at CFB Kingston as early as the end of the month.

But some of the people who live in those houses say they won't allow crews in to do that, fearing that efforts to contain the material, known by its trade name of Zonolite, will be ineffective and attempts to seal it will actually disperse asbestos fibres through their houses.

"I won't let them in," said Darlene Bradbury, one of the military wives who attended the session last night at the Military Communications and Electronics Museum on the base.

"They're going to come in and hammer and spread it through the house, I won't let them in to do it. They can do it right now or do it right later, but do it right."

She and other wives who attended the meeting said they got little satisfaction from the experts who attended last night's information meeting.

The military acknowledges there's asbestos-contaminated insulation in the roofs and walls of some of the permanent married quarters housing on the base. It plans to address it by installing knee-high walls and plastic sheathing in the attics of the houses, as well as caulking ceiling fixtures and wall cracks to prevent the asbestos fibres from becoming airborne.

Inhalation of asbestos fibres has been shown to cause lung diseases, chief among them asbestosis, and has been linked to a number of cancers.

Citing a preponderance of expert advice that states leaving the insulation sealed in place is the safest thing to do, the military housing agency wants to proceed with the work.

But many of those who attended last night's meeting came away unconvinced, saying they and their families had already been affected by exposure to the asbestos fibres and said attempts to contain it where it sits would be ineffective.

Alana Wells said dust from the insulation covers the inside of her cupboards and she has to wipe it off the plates she uses to feed her three children.

She said since moving to the base four years ago she has developed asthma and seizures and she's afraid to bring her Christmas tree and decorations down from the attic this year because they're covered in dust from the insulation that she fears could harm her children, who are 4, 9, and 12.

"What they're saying about it just being the attics, that's not true," she said.

"I took a broom handle and put a hole in the wall and you could see it there. You can sweep it up off the floor."

Another mother, Tammy Fitzgerald, said youth workers will no longer enter her house to provide treatment to her autistic daughter out of occupational health and safety fears. She now has to take her daughter to the base community centre for her sessions.

And Rose Smith said she doesn't want her or her children getting sick years from now and worrying that it was their time in base housing that caused it.

"Why take the risk of getting sick 10 years from now when they could fix the problem now?" she asked.

Col. Christian Rousseau, the director general of military engineering at the Department of National Defence, tried to calm the fears of the crowd by insisting that the method of containing the insulation was endorsed by academic and government experts in the field.

He said the insulation only presented a danger if it was disturbed and fibres were released into the air, something that would happen if crews tried to remove the material.

"The big question is, why do we choose to manage the Zonolite in place when an option could be to remove it?" he said.

"All regulatory bodies in North America suggest this is the way to deal with it ... Zonolite becomes a health hazard if it is disturbed. You cannot remove it from a house without disturbing it."

He said the work could start before the end of November.

Rousseau also denied charges that it was cheaper to isolate the material than to remove it, saying when it came time to demolish the house, specially outfitted crews would have to come in at that time and remove the material at the same cost as it would be to remove it now.

Base commander Col. Larry Aitken said he hoped people would accept the preponderance of expert opinion rather than let their decisions be based on fear of the unknown.

"What we're doing is proceeding on the best expert information that we have," he said, noting that the same procedures were being followed with houses on other bases that have been identified as containing Zonolite.

The houses on the base don't have basements as they sit on limestone and the attics are used as storage.

Many of those who attended fear they are stirring up asbestos dust every time they put a box in their attics and point out that the Canadian Forces Housing Agency has advised people living in houses suspected of containing Zonolite not to go into their attics at all.

Wells said her fears for her children outweigh the risks she's taking by speaking out and says she wants the material removed completely for the safety of her family.

"I'm worried about my husband getting trouble or this affecting my career, but I've got three people in that house that I need to look after," she said.

Asked if she felt it was a continuing health hazard to her family, she was unequivocal.

"I've been feeding this to my kids for four years now. What do you think?"
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.mesolink.org/mesothelioma-news/10-24-05.html

I only wish that I could have been there.. :'(

Siggy

Back