• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Policy – Annual (time off, after hours, ect...) [Merged]

I'm hoping to be able to take 1 week in spring and 3 in fall as to accommodate for my hunting group. The spring is not a biggy as it is just white tail, but the fall is a major as Moose opens up. I know this fall is not in the question as I will be in Basic but as for next I sure hope I can get it.

This year I had to give/sell my bull tag to my friend as I will be unable to make the hunt, but I will still get some meat for the tag.

bradlupa said:
I'm hoping to be able to take 1 week in spring and 3 in fall as to accommodate for my hunting group. The spring is not a biggy as it is just white tail, but the fall is a major as Moose opens up. I know this fall is not in the question as I will be in Basic but as for next I sure hope I can get it.

This year I had to give/sell my bull tag to my friend as I will be unable to make the hunt, but I will still get some meat for the tag.

There goes your 20 days.  I guess you just volunteered to do duty on Christmas/New Years break.    ;D

Maybe its just me but of all the 4 jobs I've had in my life the vacation timings were never a consideration before I was even hired......

I have been doing the same hunt for 8 years, and working Christmas comes with my job anyways.  I have alsways been on call during those Holidays as I owned my company.

Hey its the only time I actually get away from the wife (thats allowed) for an extended period of time.  She is gone for most of the summer at shows for her horses, so that is when I get to spend my money and she dosent complain.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Maybe its just me but of all the 4 jobs I've had in my life the vacation timings were never a consideration before I was even hired......

Mostly not, but i'm not thinking of this year it is next, heck I may not even be around, could be on tour or something.

Well I don't think anyone signing up for the army is joining for the leave. We are just curious as to know what leave if any applies.

Rinker said:
Well I don't think anyone signing up for the army is joining for the leave. We are just curious as to know what leave if any applies.

So?  We have lots of topics that have covered the subject of Leave.  Leave at Christmas.  Leave in between Crses.  Embarkation Leave.  Disembarkation Leave.  Compassionate Leave.  Special Leave.  Short Leave.  Statatory Holidays.  Provincial Holidays.  Leave for this.  Leave for that.  All kinds of Leave.  I am sure you could have found your answers, or can now find your answers, with a short look.

It was a reply to Bruce monkhouse, and really this was a legitimate place to ask my question. It my question was unique it may have been under special leave but I would not have thought to call it that. And yes I have my answer thanks to support/experience army.ca has.

That's a great idea.  Apply for three months special leave to go climbing!

Jesus Wept!  These questions keep getting dumber and dumber.  When and where you can take leave should be the least of your worries right now. Is there a smiley thingy for shooting yourself?

Rinker said:

I did.  That and the life of a rock star.

kincanucks said:
Jesus Wept!  These questions keep getting dumber and dumber.  When and where you can take leave should be the least of your worries right now. Is there a smiley thingy for shooting yourself?

I'll keep looking for your smiley, but in the meantime, perhaps this will suffice.
image.php

or maybe this.

recceguy said:
I'll keep looking for your smiley, but in the meantime, perhaps this will suffice.
image.php

or maybe this.

She used to work at my recruiting detachment but we had to let her go as it was costing a fortune in shovels.

Guess what?  If you want more than 30 days Leave Without Pay (LWOP), it must be authorized by the CDS.

QR&O - Chap 16 Leave, para 16.25

16.25 – LEAVE WITHOUT PAY AND ALLOWANCES

An officer or non-commissioned member may be granted leave without pay and allowances, in the circumstances prescribed in orders issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff, for a period:

(a) not exceeding 14 calendar days, if authorized by a commanding officer;

(b) not exceeding 30 calendar days, including any leave granted under subparagraph (a), if authorized by an officer commanding a command; or

(c) for any period, if authorized by or under the authority of the Chief of the Defence Staff.

I'm quite sure it would have to be pretty special circumstances.

Edit to add link.

Did a search couldn't find anything... This could go on the RMC/ROTP board but since it's really nothing specifically to do with those programs I figure it's better here.

My course (BMOQ-L, formerly CAP) starts on 25 May 10, and the academic year ended for me on 21 Apr 10. Between those dates, we're supposed to go on EWAT (Employment While Awaiting Training).

A few weeks before 3 Mar 10, I went in to see my ULO about something and brought up if he had any idea what I would be doing for EWAT when school ended. He didn't know what EWAT was and after I explained it and said I was infantry, he said "well I guess we can see if we can employ you up at 1RNfldR."

On 3 Mar 10, an email was sent out to all the ULO students asking for when our semester ended. I responded and said 21 Apr 10.

On 21 Apr 10, having not heard anything back, I emailed and said that the academic year was officially over and that I would wait for further instruction.

Today (27 Apr 10) I received a phone call and we discussed the situation. Apparently they don't know what to do with me or where to put me or whatever. I have to go down Thursday and see him and "hopefully he'll have something for me to do," or, what seems to be the idea here is, "we'll have to put you on leave."

Can they do this? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? I did my due diligence, and furthermore, what is the difference in putting me on EWAT now, doing nothing, and putting me on EWAT in August, and doing nothing? For me there is a big difference.

I need my leave for a wedding in August (I'm supposed to stand), my grandparents 50th Anniversary in August, and the only time I get to see my parents is in August when they come to Newfoundland and I go to where they are (8 hrs away) to see them, and in Christmas when I fly to Alberta to see them.

If I'm put on leave now, I won't have any leave for August or Christmas (I don't even have enough leave to get me to the start of the course, so I don't know how they plan on working around that). At our SEM brief, we were told that "we're adults now, we have to plan ahead and be responsible with our leave." It seems I am not the one that's guilty of not planning ahead here but I'm going to be the one that has to pay for it...

Yes they can:

Canadian Forces Leave Policy Manual - CFLPM 3.1.05 Ordering members on annual leave

What you can do is submit your memo detailing your leave plan for the year and mention the reason you are planning leave for those periods.  Then cross your fingers and hope that your leave plan is supported. I would even attach a completed leave form for August requesting it be approved so that you can confirm that you will be able to stand.  Hopefully the Anniversary is around the same date so you can cover it all in one period.

It might help if you could talk to local units and see if one of them would be willing to take you under their wing for a few weeks.  Never seen a unit that didn't have something they could use a spare body for.

Doh, too slow on the post button.......do what CountDC says :)

Write a memo detailing it what you wrote here to your SEM and ULO.  I know someone that has a similar situation as you and a simple memo outlining a  clear and concise  plan and what you are willing to do to ensure you have leave days in August should suffice.  FWIW, I usually find my own EWATs rather than waiting for the ULO to find one for me to avoid this situation completely.  That way I have some control over my leave and I get experience in areas I need.  Finally be prepared to have to use leave, as they can force you to take it, but push for or find an EWAT.

That's a tough job there MJP.....you should be slaving like me!!  ;D

A point to note when you are trying to find the alternate employment go down to the reserve unit you wish to work with. Because of the transient  (positional) nature of the reserves, the contact info the ULO has might not work.

It has been my experience that emailing for employment tend not to be responded to. I rx'd much better results with face to face contact.

Back