• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leopard C1 Questions

Off topic

It was always an interesting time with Maj Del (RCD) and Maj Derby (LDSH (RC)) in the mess.

Tango24B said:
Thanks very much Lance.

As a follow-up was there a Leopard C1 in Germany modified with the IWS for testing in addition to the C1 in Gagetown with the IWS?

Are there any images of the IWS C1 that was in Gagetown kicking around?

The Germans loaned us a Leo 1A3 modified with the A5 FCS and turret electric drive. This was early on in the Leopard C2 program. I had it in Gagetown for a while when I was writing the manuals; and doing trials. We kept it after the project, in return we left one of our newly acquired C2's in Germany. If I recall correctly, the German equivalent of the CFR was 432. So in actual fact, we only had a total of 113 C2 tanks.

As a side not, tank number 432 never was issued to the German Army, it was a trials tank from the get go. Lots of different mods done to it, including a hunter killer sight. (which, unfortunately, was not on the tank when I had it) There was quite a few holes and patches in it from different trials. And I loved the turret electric drive! Fast, quiet, and easier on the batteries than the hydraulic system!

Thanks again Gents,

OK, next set of questions...

1. When did the mine rollers and mine plows enter service for the C1? It appears to be 1987 but confirmation would be great.

2. When was the armoured electrical connection added to the left of the driver's hatch on the upper hull for the dozer blade and mine plow cables? This would also have included the angled armoured cable cover on the glacis plate over the grousers.

3. When was the square mounting plate with the two prongs added to the right upper portion of the mantlet? I believe this was for a ballistic synchronisation system? From images it appears to be not in place in about 1989 and added by 1990 again confirmation would be appreciated.

Tango24B said:
Thanks again Gents,

OK, next set of questions...

1. When did the mine rollers and mine plows enter service for the C1? It appears to be 1987 but confirmation would be great.

2. When was the armoured electrical connection added to the left of the driver's hatch on the upper hull for the dozer blade and mine plow cables? This would also have included the angled armoured cable cover on the glacis plate over the grousers.

3. When was the square mounting plate with the two prongs added to the right upper portion of the mantlet? I believe this was for a ballistic synchronisation system?

My guess would be some time after we bought them. But I could be wrong. :dunno:  ;D

I did the trials on the mine plow and rollers in 1988 in Gagetown when I was in Csqn RCD. I never saw the connector or the Armour Ballistic covers till around 94/95 on the tanks in Calgary.

The ballistic covers were around in 93 on my D&M course

I don't remember having them on the ones in Germany. I'd have to go through some old pictures to find out.

Tank Troll said:
I don't remember having them on the ones in Germany. I'd have to go through some old pictures to find out.

C Sqn RCD in Gagetown circa Jan 1993.

Next question....

What are the Canadian designations for the 105 mm tank rounds?

Please confirm if these are correct...

APFSDS-T……C76

TPDS-T....C74

TPFSDS-T...C71

HESH-T....L35A1/2

SH/PRAC-T....L38 or C72 or C109A1

WP Smoke-T...M416?

Blank....C29

Thanks in advance!
I believe the C148 SHTPDS-T did not come into service until 1999 so it would not have been applicable for the Leopard C1.

Where there other other APFSDS-T rounds used on the Leopard C1 such as......the M111, M428, DM23A1, DM63C?

Tango 24B,,,
all of the above, Cheer's. Scoty B
Re: Tank Round's.

Thanks....which one is the training Sabot round that had the hollow nosed projectile?

Tango24B said:
Thanks....which one is the training Sabot round that had the hollow nosed projectile?

C-74

What is the cut-off date you are looking at for the C1?

Older ammo used by the CF (1985):
APDS/T: L28A1, C35 (same as L28A1 except CA primer), C35A1 (same as L28A1 except US primer), C35A2 (US primer and different propelling charge)

APFSDS-T: M111 (the write up for the C74 TPDS/T also mentions a M735 APFSDS)

TPDS/T: C36A3, C74 (and L45A1, DM88)
-C74 as not the sub-cal tubular shot, that was the C71, however the C71 is not listed as being in use in 1985 (but I don't think it was long after that, early-mid 90s).  The C74 was later modified to be the C148 SR/TPDS-T by putting small fins similiar to that on C71.

STUP/T: C62

HESH: L35 series (and M393A2, DM512)

SH/T Prac: C66, C72 (and L56A1, NR 110)

Smk WP-T: M416

Smk BE: L39A2

Blank: C1A3

Items in parentheses were not CF stock but authorized for CF use.

AmmoTech90 said:
What is the cut-off date you are looking at for the C1?

Older ammo used by the CF (1985):
APDS/T: L28A1, C35 (same as L28A1 except CA primer), C35A1 (same as L28A1 except US primer), C35A2 (US primer and different propelling charge)

APFSDS-T: M111 (the write up for the C74 TPDS/T also mentions a M735 APFSDS)

TPDS/T: C36A3, C74 (and L45A1, DM88)
-C74 as not the sub-cal tubular shot, that was the C71, however the C71 is not listed as being in use in 1985 (but I don't think it was long after that, early-mid 90s).  The C74 was later modified to be the C148 SR/TPDS-T by putting small fins similiar to that on C71.

STUP/T: C62

HESH: L35 series (and M393A2, DM512)

SH/T Prac: C66, C72 (and L56A1, NR 110)

Smk WP-T: M416

Smk BE: L39A2

Blank: C1A3

Items in parentheses were not CF stock but authorized for CF use.

The cut off date I am looking for is 1993....when the tanks returned to Canada from Germany. Thanks for the info!

Probably not much more to add then.  Don't know if the C71 would have made it over to Germany.  We ripped apart several thousand APDS in 91 or 92 so they weren't around after that.

Apparently they were known as C71 and then were changed to C74 around that timeframe.

Still doing some digging.....

Back