• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leopard C1 Questions

Battle Salvo... Battle training. Pretty much the same. The projectile i pointed. Like adart
at the legion. Basic difference is the charge(powder) Battle trainng when fired give's
an  idea what the round doe's but the differennt salvo. Battle salvo has a larger charge
as said,,, battle salvo. Basically a bulllet fired straight. Hesh depending the situation ,,
a take it out round.. High Expolsive Squash Head. One other was like a big shotgun-shell
meant to take out low flying aircraft. Then smoke all variation's. Moer to follw if your interested.  Cheer's.. Scoty B

AmmoTech90 said:
Different projectiles.  The C74 had a closed nose.

I hate to question an ammo tech on this, but I thought it was the other way around. C71 closed nosed. My memory could be failing, though......

I have no problem being questioned, I do it all the time  ;D

Here you go: http://www.gd-otscanada.com/html/en/products/detail.php?id=72&thisSection=77

Yeah, we stopped using the cones around 1996 or so and then started to use C74 predominately.

Thanks again guys for double checking on the differences between the C71 and C74.

Ready for the next question?

Can anyone confirm whether there was one Taurus ARV or two when the Leopard 1A2 rent-a-tanks were used in 1977/1978?

As both 'A' and 'B' Squadrons of the RCD were using the Leopard 1A2s it would make sense that there would be two ARVs but some sources indicate there was only one...call sign '28E'....the assigned CFR was 76-85001.

Tango24B said:
Thanks again guys for double checking on the differences between the C71 and C74.

Ready for the next question?

Can anyone confirm whether there was one Taurus ARV or two when the Leopard 1A2 rent-a-tanks were used in 1977/1978?

As both 'A' and 'B' Squadrons of the RCD were using the Leopard 1A2s it would make sense that there would be two ARVs but some sources indicate there was only one...call sign '28E'....the assigned CFR was 76-85001.

I can't really help, as I left the North Marg and Germany in '75, but if it's truly the case that there was only one ARV, to be shared, it makes sense it had a B Sqn designation.

B Sqn always needed an ARV way more than A Sqn ever did  ;D

recceguy said:
I can't really help, as I left the North Marg and Germany in '75, but if it's truly the case that there was only one ARV, to be shared, it makes sense it had a B Sqn designation.

B Sqn always needed an ARV way more than A Sqn ever did  ;D

I can't say about A Sqn and B Sqn with the Dragoons, but with the Hussars B defiantly needed and ARV more as B Sqn went out and did army stuff with their tanks A Sqn..................not so much.

Tank Troll said:
I can't say about A Sqn and B Sqn with the Dragoons, but with the Hussars B defiantly needed and ARV more as B Sqn went out and did army stuff with their tanks A Sqn..................not so much.

Well, the RCD, at the time, deployed as a Regiment. Both Sqns got equal time and tasks.

My time with the Hussars however, proved to be a group of people wearing the same uniforms, going about aimlessly and seemingly without direction. Regimental, or otherwise. Twit Olympics So I can see where you're coming from. Didn't call them Crazy 8's for nothing. ;)

By 1980 all three Sabre Sqns and HQ Sqn had Taurus ARVs.  Lance can likely confirm their arrival as being with all the C1s or perhaps just prior to.  At the same time, they would have been arriving a 4 CER and 4 Svc Bn.  Not sure about the 1977-78 timeline though.

Thanks George,

Great old article, thanks for digging it up.

Back