• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LGBTQ Stuff (split from other political threads)

Looks as if there may soon be sparks flying at a Hamilton, Ontario secondary school. Remember the cross dressing teacher with the gigantic boobs in Oakville this last year?

If he no longer identifies as trans why would there be sparks? Or is it a one day on one day on thing?

Looks as if there may soon be sparks flying at a Hamilton, Ontario secondary school. Remember the cross dressing teacher with the gigantic boobs in Oakville this last year?

Were they "cross dressing", or did they identify as a woman? There is a difference.

Regardless, it appears that the teacher now identifies as a man, and has resumed dressing as they had previously, so I suspect there will ne no drama.

So be very careful of who you elect to the local school board. I honestly don’t know who is on our school board Or candidates that ran.
Check them out as diligently as you would an MLA or city councillor. Make your ballot count.

How many Canadians have been "capped" in the US just for sounding off (assuming they didn't sound off to gang-bangers or some such)?

Things get spicy when Canadian fans go to US NHL arenas. Pretty funny to watch.

What she said.

As a transgender individual, on Wednesday I found myself in the midst of the Durham District School Board protesters in Whitby, Ontario. I attended as a guest speaker and spoke openly on a loudspeaker in front of more than 500 peaceful protestors. My message was clear and simple: that Canadian democracy harbours room for both the principles of parental autonomy and the rights of transgender individuals. These two interests need not be framed in opposition to one another, provided we approach them in the same fashion that we treat other ideological matters — like religion — within our public institutions. This message was met with applause from the audience and I was greeted with hugs and great conversation by parents and grandparents who expressed their unwavering support for these tenets of our liberal democracy.

Just don't frighten the horses.

We are spilling a lot of ink for (on average) 0.33% of Canadians 15 years of age or older

Rates are climbing though, likely because more people are willing to express their true feelings about their gender.

I'm curious how many who identified as transgender then changed their mind later and are not.

I'm curious how many who identified as transgender then changed their mind later and are not.
The last number I heard for this was about 1% of thos who followed through with surgery. Not sure if theres any data on those identifying as X.

FYI given the current population of Canada being ~38 million people were talking about less than 1 percent of less than .33 percent of the population which is like....10 people?

... FYI given the current population of Canada being ~38 million people were talking about less than 1 percent of less than .33 percent of the population which is like....10 people?
<pedant>Mr. Calculator says .33% of 38 million is 125,400, so 1% of that would be 1,254.</pedant> :) Not even close to a huge number, but not just high single digits, either.

Rates are climbing though, likely because more people are willing to express their true feelings about their gender.
Exactly.

Like when people got up in arms about “the rise in sexual misconduct”, etc. Not really a surprise that rates were “low” if people are too scared or ashamed to say they were assaulted.

What she said.

Just don't frighten the horses.

What I would want to know is whether there was any ideological split in the Parental Rights and the anti-LGBTQ camps in the same protest. It’s one thing to barely tolerate each other but they need the numbers, and another thing to support each other.

Some folks were arrested at some of the protests (and maybe counter-protests). I’m guessing that the Whitby one was relatively tame and without incident.

A few points / questions:
  1. Trans (and by extension, LGBTQ) people exist. Some people may not like the fact that they exist, but saying they don’t exist is just patently false.
  2. What would be the end goal of “indoctrinating” kids to being trans? Is it so that every boy becomes a girl and vice versa? If so, why? How does that help a cause?
  3. As a parent, would you love your child less if they were trans? If so, why would they want to come out to you, and if the issue is forced, does anyone really think that they would just say “oh well I tried…” and forget about it?
  4. For those using the religious (Christian, specifically) argument, what about the whole “created in his image” thing? Were just some people created in his image? I’m pretty sure that distinction wasn’t in the book.

For the record here are some statistics.

Children are children until they figure themselves out.
Sure, but the way they will “figure themselves out” is, more often than not, impacted by what their society says is correct or not. Also, their parents have an outsized influence on their formative years for obvious reasons.

My issue with this whole matter is that it’s being painted as wrong or evil, often by folks who identify as being religious. Again, that same religious text that most of those folks say they subscribe to specifically says that people are made in God’s image and to “love thy neighbour”, so it strikes me as a bit hypocritical.

We are spilling a lot of ink for (on average) 0.33% of Canadians 15 years of age or older

The proportions of transgender and non-binary people were three to seven times higher for Generation Z (born between 1997 and 2006, 0.79%) and millennials (born between 1981 and 1996, 0.51%) than for Generation X

Also coinciding with the rise in mental health issues in younger people. Leave kids alone until they are adults.

Sure, but the way they will “figure themselves out” is, more often than not, impacted by what their society says is correct or not. Also, their parents have an outsized influence on their formative years for obvious reasons.

My issue with this whole matter is that it’s being painted as wrong or evil, often by folks who identify as being religious. Again, that same religious text that most of those folks say they subscribe to specifically says that people are made in God’s image and to “love thy neighbour”, so it strikes me as a bit hypocritical.
Contradictory messages in religious texts???

Oh My God Reaction GIF

That book, like the Canadian Electrical Code and KR&Os, says lots of things. Many of them contradictory. Not surprising due to it being an anthology of stories collected over thousands of years. I have tried arguing with inspectors with as little success as when I tried arguing with the clergy.

Bible, Torah, Koran, Vedas or Gandharan texts. It makes no odds to me. The odds are all of them are as likely to be as wrong as the texts of the atheists.

The closest thing I come to as a spiritual guide is "Stranger in a Strange Land." Grok!

Also coinciding with the rise in mental health issues in younger people. Leave kids alone until they are adults.
Again though - is that a new thing or just visible because it’s ok to say you have depression without it being laughed off or told to “man up”?

Or, another option, the rise of social media leading to more bullying (and not just the old schoolyard kind), unattainable body image goals, and other issues?

Again though - is that a new thing or just visible because it’s ok to say you have depression without it being laughed off or told to “man up”?

Or, another option, the rise of social media leading to more bullying (and not just the old schoolyard kind), unattainable body image goals, and other issues?
So, bring this all home, how is any of this made better by keeping parent out of it?

Would things not be better if patents were more, not less involved in their children's lives?

That seems to be the relevant argument to me.

Back