• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Life as VEH TECH Soldier/ Mechanic or just Mechanic?

A-ryathker

Inactive
Reaction score
I"ve been in the application process since Sept 09, long story short by the time I got my Security cleared and medical done all the combat arms trades were and are currently closed. I wanted Infantry, Armoured or Boswain (navy) I was advised that none of the combat arms would open till next year April, 11 months from now and even then theres no way of knowing forsure if ill get a desired combat arms trade, I was advised to try VEH TECH and was interviewed for that trade, currently I am merit listed. Basically I got my heart set on being a soldier and I dont mind being a mechanic/ soldier just i dont want to join the army then the only thing i do is mechanics which i can do as a civilian anyways,

I'm wondering if theres any VEH Techs out there who can give me an idea of life as a mechanic in the army? More specifically is the only time I do soldier type stuff during BMQ and SQ then from then on the only thing that makes my day to day life different from a civy mechanic is a uniform? Will i still get a chance to progress in combat skills and learn things that the combat arms does after BMQ or is it just further mechanical training? I'm also aware of the VOT option but given that infantry is trying to cut their numbers and even after only 1 month of being open it quickly closed again I'm not seriously thinking a VOT from VEH TECH to infantry is a realistic option. Id rather just go in to whats open and give it my all.

A-ryathker said:
I'm wondering if theres any VEH Techs out there who can give me an idea of life as a mechanic in the army?

I hope this helps you:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/73054/post-702347.html#msg702347

A-ryathker said:
I"ve been in the application process since Sept 09, long story short by the time I got my Security cleared and medical done all the combat arms trades were and are currently closed. I wanted Infantry, Armoured or Boswain (navy) I was advised that none of the combat arms would open till next year April, 11 months from now and even then theres no way of knowing forsure if ill get a desired combat arms trade, I was advised to try VEH TECH and was interviewed for that trade, currently I am merit listed. Basically I got my heart set on being a soldier and I dont mind being a mechanic/ soldier just i dont want to join the army then the only thing i do is mechanics which i can do as a civilian anyways,

I'm wondering if theres any VEH Techs out there who can give me an idea of life as a mechanic in the army? More specifically is the only time I do soldier type stuff during BMQ and SQ then from then on the only thing that makes my day to day life different from a civy mechanic is a uniform? Will i still get a chance to progress in combat skills and learn things that the combat arms does after BMQ or is it just further mechanical training? I'm also aware of the VOT option but given that infantry is trying to cut their numbers and even after only 1 month of being open it quickly closed again I'm not seriously thinking a VOT from VEH TECH to infantry is a realistic option. Id rather just go in to whats open and give it my all.
I was offered Amoured today as my 2nd choice, 10 mins later got a call asking if I would want my first choice if I could get it and I gladly accepted ...Combat Engineer !!!! I first applied Feb 11th 2010 and already I have my offer , 3 months in total. I was told that there is many positions available  for Veh Tec so good luck A-Ryathker

Hmmm..... Mabey you just opened up a spot for me in my second choice (Armoured Soldier) congrats btw on getting your first choice in this day and age your one of the blessed ones. My application would have gone alot faster if i hadent been so narrow minded that i put only one trade choice infantry at first. I thought this would help me get that and only that then after 6 months of no phone calls i asked and was told their not even processing my application since my trade(infantry) is shut, (this was march) I quickly added the other 2 next best things in my mind. And since both armoured and bowsain were open at the time i right away got booked for medical and interview. But i wasnt fast enough. So take it from me guys, think long and hard if theres more than one thing you would want to do in the army, as i shot my self in the foot by not jumping at a chance when the door was open. Getting in is alot more competitive then most think

My brother was a vehicle tech for a short while in the early 80's and quit as soon as his stint was up.  He was already a mechanic so was given his Cpl rank when he graduated Cornwallis.  Forget where he was posted but he was really not happy.  One month the only work he did was change a headlight in a ML.  All the work that came in went to the civillian mechanics while the military did nothing but crap jobs.

Back